Clay pipes

Pegleg Pete

For those of you that are pipe smokers, and are looking for something more "period", I just got a newsletter from Track of the Wolf. They are offering 6" clay pipes for about 7 bucks each:

Track of the Wolf Clay Pipes

I've been looking around for a good clay pipe ever since an earlier thread came up here. They don't carry the longer versions, but these will do in a pinch. I've ordered a couple. If anyone is interested, I will report on the quality when they show up.

Brad

aka "Pegleg Pete"

before I quit smoking, I used an old churchwarden type pipe that had been dropped and broken so many times the stem was shorter than most modern pipes.....

I don't know what happened to it after I gave up the tobacco, tho........

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

So what Kind of tobacco do you all smoke? I've smoked Capt'n Black mostly.

I personally smoke a blend. I mix one pouch of Captain Black Gold with one pouch of Borkum Riff Whiskey. I like the "nutty" flavor of the Captian Black, but it's a bit too mellow for me. I like the stronger Borkum, but it's always a bit dry and kind of harsh on the mouth and throat. The mix of the two works really well for me, and people are always coming up and saying "I like the smell of your pipe." B)

I went to a local Ren Faire two weeks ago, and I was standing there in my garb and smoking my pipe, and someone said "You should get one of those old clay pipes."

I've always wanted one, but never really found a good source. I like the looks of the really long ones, but you can bet money on the fact that I'd snap the stem first time out with it.

Then, I got this e-mail from Track of the Wolf. Figured I'd give them a shot.

Brad

I used to smoke a local blend of cherry, really mellow, with a great taste......I'd mix it with a bit of Bugler Rolling tobacco.....really good....

man, I used to love to smoke........but I'm quite glad I quit.......

also, don't make a habit of smoking JUST from a clay pipe.......because it's as bad as smoking unfiltered.........you should have a modern pipe (if you smoke a pipe regularly) as well as a period one, for events....

don't make a habit of using the period pipe all the time.......your lungs will thank you!

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

like i said, I cut it with rolling tobacco......

Weird coincidence, but just this morning I was flipping through a book on shipwrecks and came across a diagram of "The Evolution of English clay tobacco pipe bowl shapes." If anyone is interested, this particular style seems to be either a 1700-1770 style or 1730-1790 style.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Weird coincidence, but just this morning I was flipping through a book on shipwrecks and came across a diagram of "The Evolution of English clay tobacco pipe bowl shapes." If anyone is interested, this particular style seems to be either a 1700-1770 style or 1730-1790 style.

What does the book say about 1690-1710??

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

lads was thinkin o trying to make a few clay pipes if any be interested in what styles or lengths would suit?

used to smoke a blend called shammrock but the close i can get to that be careys captain black which is also hard to find since they went under.

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

This is a monster of a pipe!

Davy Jones Pipe Replica.......

alas, it doesn't actually draw smoke...........

Hmmm...I wonder when the ol' Tyroleans started making those clay pipes with the wooden stems?

I found this interesting:

http://www.tobacco.org/resources/history/T..._History17.html

especially the reference to seegars at 1683.

Now, if the DJ pipe strikes yar fancy, although much less ornate, plain even, by comparison, but a mighty fine smoker none the less and an impressive pipe, ye might want to locate one o' them Jumbo Wellingtons from daze gone by. Impresses the locals, aye, that it does...

Oh! And for baccy, I likes a lot of different types but have taken to home stoving long slices of VA flake I get from Lane. Of course I smokes it unstoved too, but the process I use turns it a nice deep chocolate brown and smooths and sweetens the smoke. Ages nicely too.

Is it time for a pipe yet?

Track of the Wolf update...

The pipes came today...that was pretty quick shipping.

Kind of mixed feelings about them. They are sturdy construction. They smoke well. I've only actually lit one, but they both seem to draw equally well.

The one downside is the apparent "glaze" on the pipes. I've been reading as much as I can about clays, since I am new to the topic. Some people like glazes, some like them "in the raw".

Fortunately, these aren't "glazed" inside the bowl...and I mean REALLY fortunately. Because the glaze appears to be a lacquer or something, and not a true glaze. After a few good puffs on the pipe, the bowl started to get quite warm...which I guess is normal. Like I said, not having used one before and all that...

Anyway, after the bowl starts to heat up, the "glaze" starts to discolor and turn brown. I've heard clays can darken in color, and become a "warm brown" color over time...but I suspect not after 4 or 5 puffs? The "glaze" also started to get a bit sticky, which makes me believe it's a lacquer. As I said, they didn't apply it to the inside of the bowl, which is very good news...I'd hate to inhale the fumes from it if it IS lacquer.

So, that's the one downside to them. I think I will try to strip that off of my second pipe and see if it makes a difference. Too bad, if that's the case. Other than that, they're pretty nice pipes.

So, for those of you that have used clays, does that seem a bit out of the ordinary? Who knows, maybe that's a normal thing...but it sure seems odd to me.

That's the report on the new pipes.

Brad

I don't know about the coating.... but when a clay pipe gets grungy, you can clean it up by putting it into the coals of a fire (just don't drop another log on top of it)..... when it cools (usuly the next morning after the fire goes out).... it will be bright as new......