Buying this shirt, bad or good deal?

ViVi Trottsky

<Inna whisper> I still think the best and most cost efficient shirt, is one that you make yerself.......  :rolleyes:

That way you get exactly what you want..... Hollywood or re-enactor.......

Oh, so true.

I have to alter so many things.

I just don't 'ave the patience to sew from scratch.

Alterin' be enough o' a pain!

Kass...

Do you have any links to "fold down" collar shirts?

I think that I have seen more "inconclusive" pictures of shirts than anything else, as a MAJORITY of the time the collar is obscured by a neckercheif anyway.

And wearing the neckerchief under the collar doesn't seem to be a GAoP thing either

But maybe I should make a distinction.

I think that with a tall band collar, it will "fall down" a bit, and not stay up straight like a short banded collar would be.

But as for a shirt that is cut in the pattern to have a pointed fall down collar... I would really like to see the evidence for that.

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

:lol:B):lol::lol:

I find it hilarious that the originator of this thread has not posted in it since the original. He gets to sit back and watch this thing grow. Perhaps we should throw a pair of vinyl bucket boots in ...better yet vinyl bucket boot spats! ;)

B)B)B)

I agree GoF!

Our very own Mr. March spend a day "killing" himself with a shirt only to have it obscurred by the neckerchief, vest and jacket!

Which is a good note to those that need to change personas quickly!!

Rats!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Kass...

Do you have any links to "fold down" collar shirts?

I think that I have seen more "inconclusive" pictures of shirts than anything else, as a MAJORITY of the time the collar is obscured by a neckercheif anyway.

And wearing the neckerchief under the collar doesn't seem to be a GAoP thing either

But maybe I should make a distinction.

I think that with a tall band collar, it will "fall down" a bit, and not stay up straight like a short banded collar would be.

But as for a shirt that is cut in the pattern to have a pointed fall down collar... I would really like to see the evidence for that.

Greg, I don't have links to these things, but I have them in my personal files. Most pictures don't show the collar at all. But I caution you in assuming that that points to a stand collar. Folding collars were not worn with the stock around them like a modern tie. The stock was wrapped around both layers of the collar. This actually keeps the collar up under the stock much better than a band collar shirt.

In truth, there is evidence of stand collars, folded collars, and even NO collars in this time period.

You're making a sweeping statement about "the collars in this period were like this" when you admit yourself that the pictures you're looking at are inconclusive. Be careful when you make statements like that. It will mislead people and we are not here to mislead.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• 4 weeks later...

Phew!.....I just made it in time for the PIP festival down in KW, to have ready my outfit, which I was fortunate to try to go with a more french theme and lucked out by finding flyingcanoetraders.com in Quebec. I didn't want to go with the red "Fabio" shirt that international male sells, and Seinfeld spoofed on. I'm kind of following the crew of the Acheron in Master&Commander. I ordered and rcvd a replica cotton/linen of the French&Indian war shirt which is identical to Will Turner (orlando bloom) shirt with the 1 inch wrist cuffs(Capnt jack Sparrow's shirt has 4 inch cuffs), but unlike the movie character shirts, mine has really authentic looking antiqued pewter (or tin) buttons which make for a great embellishment. The only odd thing, I guess, is that the shirttail goes all the way down to the knees, but i guess that's the way they are made.

Now I'm going to get a 5 gallon jug of some seawater and some rocks and put the shirt in it, and roll the jug down a steep hill a couple of times to distress it a bit. Right now it looks too clean.

SHIP2-1.jpg