Winter/Foul Weather Gear

Capt. Sterling

Interested in producing period correct Winter/Foul Weather kit for the crewe... can anyone point me in the proper direction, share what they already know or is there a thread already covering this?

Thanks, as always,

JH Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Darling, there was a discussion somewhere -- I can't remember if it was the PB forum or the Yahoo group or here -- where the guys were talking about tarred clothing for wet weather. I remember distinctly because Mr. Foxe gave his recipe for the "tar" he used on his stuff.

I don't remember the topic of the thread, but I think I remember that it wasn't originally about tarred clothing...

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I tried to do a search on this site and nothing came up... I'll try the PB instead... although I do remember Foxe talking about tarring slops... I think... Thanks Empress....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I've read that monmouth caps were at least lightly fulled. Fulling is a good option for winter clothes, and pretty easy to do.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Wool greatcoats or boatsmen cloaks?

Treated (or untreated) canvas greatcoats or cloaks?

That's our captain, always thinking about the crew! :)

Rats!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Hell, knowing how the Pirate Brethren mail list works, since 1999 we've probably discussed it at least twice, maybe even three times. However, if Foxe chimed in, it was probably on the Pirate Brethren forum, because Master Foxe rarely replies to the mail list, except to call us wankers.

:rolleyes:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I used to reply to the mailing list a lot until some bright spark said "let's ditch this prehistoric system and get a proper forum instead". Assuming that people wouldn't post to both I didn't bother looking at the list for a long time, and now I rarely remember to.

I do have a tarred smock, as well as two tarred jackets and more tarred hats than I can think of (ok, about 5). I've found them to be brilliant in the rain - every bit as good as modern waterproof fabrics.

The first jacket and the smock I did by thinning down bitumin paint with turpentine. The last jacket I did by thinning down Stockholm tar with turpentine. To all intents and purposes there is nothing much to tell between the two finished products - they look, feel, and react the same - and the bitumin method was a lot easier (and cheaper).

Hector, if you're looking for bad weather gear then you can't go wrong with a thrum cap. They're waterproof (to a point), wind proof, incredibly warm, and when it's reall cold and windy you can pull the long ones down right over your ears and neck.

thrumcap.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Thanks everyone... will check out all the PB stuff as well...

BUT while we are on the topic of tar... we are doing a gibbet and cage along with a body... My Little Friend is going to be fixed up, dressed in his proper GAoP hanging clothes and then properly tarred....

Some in our group have brought up the question of, once tarred... will MLF go soft if he's left out in the sun at a hot event?? In which case, any one, OI FOXE, have any idea if he can be "sealed" and still keep the feel and scent?

Crewe of the Archangel

Hector, if you use brewers' pitch you should be ok. It might go a little soft, but it shouldn't melt as such. But please, don't take my word for it.

John, now that does sound fun! Bit chilly though.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Did I ever tell you guys that Oetzi is my cousin?

Seriously! He was found in the same part of the Alps where my grandfather was born! That hat is exactly what my hair looks like in the morning! :)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!