Nautical replicas

McBarnacle

Hi all,

I'm looking for period navigation equipment but cannot afford antiques so am looking for a place that does decent but sensibly priced replicas, preferably in the UK. If anyone knows of websites/companies/traders that do any such stuff I'd be pretyy well grateful.

Barney, if you're looking for authentic stuff bear in mind that most of the repros readily available are too late for GAoP.

There is (or was) a company that made rather attractive astrolabes and nocturnals, but I'm jiggered if I can find them on the web...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Barney, if you're looking for authentic stuff bear in mind that most of the repros readily available are too late for GAoP.

There is (or was) a company that made rather attractive astrolabes and nocturnals, but I'm jiggered if I can find them on the web...

Captain Cutlass did send me a link for an astrolabe but I think it was a genuine one and quite expensive. Hold on I'll just go check................

...............Hmmm, now I can't find the e-mail. Must have deleted it by mistake. B):huh:

Captain Cutlass did send me a link for an astrolabe but I think it was a genuine one and quite expensive. Hold on I'll just go check................

...............Hmmm, now I can't find the e-mail. Must have deleted it by mistake. B):huh:

Then I find this one on E-Bay:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=320035479450

Not being an expert I have no idea if it's in any way suitable. What do you reckon?

No -- that appears to be cardboard.

You are probably looking for a mariner's astrolabe. There is a guy on eBay who is selling pewter replicas (of the original one he owns) from time to time.

The Franklin Mint manufactured some excellent devices about 20 years ago, and they keep coming up on eBay from time to time. These include a planespheric astrolabe and a nocturnal. And now we're going to be competing against each other on auctions... and these items are already not cheap.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

The Franklin Mint manufactured some excellent devices about 20 years ago, and they keep coming up on eBay from time to time. These include a planespheric astrolabe and a nocturnal. And now we're going to be competing against each other on auctions... and these items are already not cheap.

Tell me about it - I've seen the price of some of them. :rolleyes:

You are probably looking for a mariner's astrolabe. There is a guy on eBay who is selling pewter replicas (of the original one he owns) from time to time.

What about this one then:-

http://www.uniquecanes.com/new/item_nautic...olabe_ring.html

It's only $119.95 which is about £70 given the current exchange rate and would be within our group's budget.

You are probably looking for a mariner's astrolabe.  There is a guy on eBay who is selling pewter replicas (of the original one he owns) from time to time.

What about this one then:-

http://www.uniquecanes.com/new/item_nautic...olabe_ring.html

It's only $119.95 which is about £70 given the current exchange rate and would be within our group's budget.

Or perhaps this one:-

http://uniquecanes.com/new/item_nautical_i..._astrolabe.html

The first of those two isn't an astrolabe, it's a universal ring dial - and a fairly nice one at that.

The second one looks ok, but I guess you get what you pay for. Also a true "mariners'" astrolabe is much more simple than that so you might be able to find cheaper.

A mariners' astrolabe looks like this:

ebayastrolabe.JPG

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

The first of those two isn't an astrolabe, it's a universal ring dial - and a fairly nice one at that.

The second one looks ok, but I guess you get what you pay for. Also a true "mariners'" astrolabe is much more simple than that so you might be able to find cheaper.

A mariners' astrolabe looks like this:

ebayastrolabe.JPG

I guess it's a bit modern looking and a little small but I have just found this:-

http://www.puzzlering.net/astrolabe.html

It will Barney! With these instrument replicas you get what you pay for - if you want to get something decent and you want it to be right then you're going to spend a few quid.

... except... Spike Millingham (Pewter Replicas) used to made quite decent mariners' astrolabes for a reasonable price. He's stopped making them but someone must have one they want to sell.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

The Sextants are all Way too late for GAoP.

The OCTANT is still too late for golden Age, but not quite so bad.

I would be interested in buying a set of the DiVIDERS Though.

The COMPASS also looks interesting, but I do not know enough about 18th Century compasses to know if it were correct for GAoP, (Any thoughts Foxe?)

So Far, This astrolabe,

marinerastro.jpg

From THIS WEBSITE,

Looks about the best.

I would reccomend that anyone interested in early Navigational instruments gets this book.

LATITUDE HOOKS AND AZIMUTH RINGS

By Dennis Fisher

It has instructions for making and using 18 different navigational tools.