The Bosun's call.....how do you use it?

Cpt. Alva

got a bosun's whistle yesterday and am eager to learn how to blow orders on it.......

anybody got one?, and can give me some pointers about hand positions, and tuning it for the right pitch?

and yes, I'm aware that most of what I just posted could easily be construed as a massive double-entendre, but I assure you there's no double meaning.....

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Hello and Ahoy,

try this: http://www.esys.org/esys/b_pfeife.html

Page is in German, but Bablefish will do. Otherwise...Pictures are Pictures:)

The commands from above to below, translated:

Ready ship to manouver

Salute (Side)

Ready boat: Dingi

Ready boat: Cutter

Ready hammocks

Extinguish pipes and fuses

Present flag

Quiet aboard

Agitates you

Get Schnaps

Sorry, german version only.

Cheers,

Jack

I am sorry that I can't help. I was in the Navy for 3 years, but I am glad that I never had to use one of those. I am fairly certain that by now all the calls are recorded anyway :wub: . I do have to say that those were very annoying calls. Especilaly the call for cleaning.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Haha me mum had a bosuns whistle in 'er bathroom whilst I was grown'n. I don't advise blowing in it as hard as ye can.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I have one... but about all the help I can give you is: You put your lips on one end, cup your hand over the ball-end, and blow.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like I'm talking about a Bosun's Whistle, does it?

What you need is to get Lady Barbossa in this thread. She really knows how to blow one well.

Okay, again, sounds wrong...

*Ahem* I have witnessed Lady Barbossa displaying high proficiency in acurately producing desired musical tones while employing the use of a Bosun's whistle. There. That doesn't sound dirty at all.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Actually, that page looks surprisingly like the instructions that came with my Bosun's Whistle. Didn't yours come with one?

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

nope......mine was bought at an antique store.....

no instructions at all...... B)

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

I have one... but about all the help I can give you is: You put your lips on one end, cup your hand over the ball-end, and blow.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like I'm talking about a Bosun's Whistle, does it?

What you need is to get Lady Barbossa in this thread. She really knows how to blow one well.

Okay, again, sounds wrong...

*Ahem* I have witnessed Lady Barbossa displaying high proficiency in acurately producing desired musical tones while employing the use of a Bosun's whistle. There. That doesn't sound dirty at all.

:angry: :huh::huh: Oh goodness capn' I am laughing so hard at this one.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

I hope I didn't throw my instructions out when I tossed the box (it's been in its box for almost 10 years -- just tossed the box a couple months ago). But it would be in the basement, and I'm not sure where it could be...

If I find it, it's easily photocopied, and I'll let you know.

However, it's like teaching someone the violin. The instriuctions were a bit vague on HOW to obtain the tones desired. I can whistle like a madman, but changing the pitch eludes me somewhat.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Pitch is varied by opening and closing your fingers.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Pitch is varied by opening and closing your fingers.

Yes, that's what the instructions state. It's not as simple as that -- as all you get is muffled whistle. You are supposed to alter the airflow over the bell (hole) of the ball by using your fingers, and thus change the pitch.

In practice, it doesn't work as simple as this -- OR my whistle needs some modification OR I am completely incompentent over making it happen.

And I make no claims as to which it is.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Ah, do you know not to touch the ball of the whistle while you're blowing? That makes a difference.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Yes, yes -- you are only supposed to cup your fingers over it. I know -- I have tried. I am still doing something wrong -- or I need to alter the tip of the "pipe", which the instructions caution you NOT to do unless as a last resort.

I already looked for the damned instructions, but clearly need to straighten up the basement before trying further. I am an expert in TRYING to play the Bosun's Whistle -- but remain an utter amateur in SUCCEEDING.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I used a needle file to slim down the wind edge of the hole, and it sounds sharp and shrill......

I just need practice in sounding it, and learning to vary the pitch.....