Captain Robert Gray

HarborMaster

This is not a pirate based topic and may not belong here ?., I recently went to Oregon and stopped in a Museum honoring Captain Gray.

After reading I began to realize in all the history we learn as children in the schools.,about patriots.,and explorers.,this is one I was never informed of.., maybe I was out doing something naughty that day?

Anyway out here on the west coast we are all pretty familiar with Lewis and Clark..., well before Lewis and Clark .,Captain Gray led the way.

He captained our beloved Lady Washington and the Columbia., He was almost killed by Indians ., sailed the Lady Washington as a single masted sloop before her refit and was infact quite the explorer.

Here is the Museums brochure you can read thru it for your enjoyment.

CaptGrey1.jpg

CaptGrey2.jpg

CaptGrey3.jpg

CaptGrey4.jpg

CaptGrey5.jpg

CaptGrey07.jpg

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

That's a lot of firsts! I've heard some of that before, but not much. Didn't Lewis and Clark also find Indians wearing English sailor's clothing that they had traded for, when they got to the coast?

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

• 1 month later...
Didn't Lewis and Clark also find Indians wearing English sailor's clothing that they had traded for, when they got to the coast?

I never thought about it ? .., But I bet your right !

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I understand he was a heck of a Captain, during the travels to the northwest with Kendrick I understand most of the sailors abandoned Kendrick to sail with Capt. Gray, it was implied that Kendrick was a real jerk to put it mildly. Harbormaster, did you know the original Lady Washington was destroyed in a typoon off the Phillippines?