Tom Sawyer Island to go POTC?

Barbados Sam

I read an article on miceage.com about Disney planning on changing Tom Sawyer Island to a POTC theme? Anyone else hear about this?

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

I read an article on miceage.com about Disney planning on changing Tom Sawyer Island to a POTC theme? Anyone else hear about this?

I've found a couple of articles about it, but they both cite MiceAge as their source rather than independently verifying it.

Yup, I heard about it too and I'm getting so tired of all these stupid changes! I already know of quite a few people who will be going to complain about it at Disneyland's City Hall. There's other ways they're going to do something about it too. Tired of the changes to Haunted Mansion every year, not many were thrilled with the Pirates ride changes and now this! Leave stuff alone! Look at it the Tarzan Tree House, how lame! It should have stayed as the Swiss Family Tree House, much more interesting! Tom Sawyer's Island has always been a fun place to hang out. I went over there a lot as a kid. Even now I sometimes go over there. It's fine the way it is, leave it alone! Ugh! :D

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Glad they don't change much at the Magic Kingdom here. The Haunted Mansion looked like it always has, though they added some great fog effects and you could get your photo taken with a ghost in front of the hearse. The Treehouse is still Swiss Family Robinson. Guess Disney has more parks to play with here so they leave the rides alone. As for PotC, three Jacks and a Barbossa really haven't changed it much and the Davey Jones waterfall is very cool. I think they change things less because of all the Europeans who fill the park all the time, expecting these things.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Glad they don't change much at the Magic Kingdom here. The Haunted Mansion looked like it always has, though they added some great fog effects and you could get your photo taken with a ghost in front of the hearse. The Treehouse is still Swiss Family Robinson. Guess Disney has more parks to play with here so they leave the rides alone. As for PotC, three Jacks and a Barbossa really haven't changed it much and the Davey Jones waterfall is very cool. I think they change things less because of all the Europeans who fill the park all the time, expecting these things.

-- Hurricane

Yeah, I don't know why, out all the Disney parks, Disneyland is messed with the most. One good thing is we still have Tiki Room the original way. I hope that never changes. I've heard how bad the one is at Disney World and then I saw a really good quality video of it on You Tube. Iago makes the show extremely annoying! If ever I go to Disney World I'll be staying as far away as possible from seeing that. That's pretty awful!

Only Disneyland's Haunted Mansion is changed for that stupid Nightmare Before Christmas theme. No other park does that. I'd love it if they stopped doing that, the classic way is so much better! Disneyland Paris still has Pirates the original way. They still have chasing of the wenches scene in there.

I don't know why they can't just leave stuff alone at Disneyland. Tom Sawyer's Island is fine the way it is.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I don't know... it sounds kind of cool.

Disneyland has 1 park, smallish. So they have to change things to try to attract visitors.

Disneyworld has 4 parks, all big. They change things... some for the better, some worse. Like changing the Alien Encounter to make it more friendly and adding Stitch? eh...

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

I don't know... it sounds kind of cool.

Disneyland has 1 park, smallish. So they have to change things to try to attract visitors.

Disneyworld has 4 parks, all big. They change things... some for the better, some worse. Like changing the Alien Encounter to make it more friendly and adding Stitch? eh...

But here's the thing, they want to change it because of the success of the Pirates movies. I of course enjoyed the movies, I love pirate stuff and all that, but making these kinds of changes is ridiculous! Why not make all new stuff and leave the classic stuff alone?

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I can see both sides of this, and while I sympathise with those who love the classic rides, the simple fact of the matter is this:

The Swiss Family Robinson isn't relevant, because the movie/show hasn't been seen in ages.........Tarzan is still new, and relevant (as a disney property), and so, familiarity dictates the name change....

Swiss Family Robinson doesn't rake in the dough, Tarzan does......so, out with the SWR, in with Tarzan......

as for Pirates of the Caribbean, we should've seen this coming.....but it doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others.....though, the Tom Sawyer Island thing?, we don't need more POTC......

now, as for "Why not build new"?, there's no room at Disneyland, which, is quite small compared to WDW.........and why have two, or three POTC rides?, that doesn't make sense......

people who saw the movie, want to see the characters from the movie.......going through a ride called "pirates of the caribbean" and not seeing any familiar characters just ain't gonna keep people coming in.....

the movie's success renewed interest in the ride, but not enough to keep people coming back without incentive.....it's an evolving thing, the whole park is......Walt never wanted things to stay the same forever.....even if we did.....

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

I can see both sides of this, and while I sympathise with those who love the classic rides, the simple fact of the matter is this:

The Swiss Family Robinson isn't relevant, because the movie/show hasn't been seen in ages.........Tarzan is still new, and relevant (as a disney property), and so, familiarity dictates the name change....

as for Pirates of the Caribbean, we should've seen this coming.....but it doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others.....though, the Tom Sawyer Island thing?, we don't need more POTC......

now, as for "Why not build new"?, there's no room at Disneyland, which, is quite small compared to WDW.........and why have two, or three POTC rides?, that doesn't make sense......

people who saw the movie, want to see the characters from the movie.......going through a ride called "pirates of the caribbean" and not seeing any familiar characters just ain't gonna keep people coming in.....

the movie's success renewed interest in the ride, but not enough to keep people coming back without incentive.....it's an evolving thing, the whole park is......Walt never wanted things to stay the same forever.....even if we did.....

Disney World still has the Swiss Family Tree House, so why'd they have to change ours?

I'll be curious to see what happens many years down the road when the Pirates movies become old news. They'll be having to change things again.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I'll go and see what I can find out about this tomorrow at our weekly meeting.

I've heard the rumbling but never gave it any credit for being legit. Sounds to stupid to me but then again... when the dollar squeeks around here.... :(

I'll let you know when I can.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Squeek, squeek.

Tom Sawyer Island, about an ADHD kid who runs away with a man who was enslaved. This evokes warm and fuzzy family thoughts all the way around.

Hmmm, Pirates plundering and pillaging, treasure hunting, not paying taxes, escaping slavery...Now this is good family fun, I say.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Swiss Family Robinson? Tom Sawyer?

You expect these kids to turn off their Myspace, World of Warcraft, and Xbox 360s and actually....

GASP

READ?!

How dare you!

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

I don't know - my 8 year old spent most of his summer reading and using his imagination - had his Playstation on three times total. However, there were 30 boxes in the house to be used for all kinds of adventures with soldiers, pirates, Indians, Hot Wheels and such. He reads at a 6th grade level and he was even pouring through some 12th grade stuff on google. It's teaching them to enjoy the journey of reading and adventure instead of staring at the boob tube that is key to unlocking a kid's mind.

That said, Aliene Encounter died because the movie (Alien, Aliens, etc.) is ancient history in today's kid's minds. Stitch - hip. Same with Jack. Now they're adding a Mike & Sully Comedy Club attration here in the Magic Kingdom, slated for 2007. Got to keep drawing the kiddies in so the mommies and daddies spend their dollars here instead of the evil Universal or SeaWorld.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks...yAttractionPage

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Oh I believe in reading... I read at a 5th grade level when I entered kindergarten thanks to my mom. It's just it seems like the human race as a whole is getting dumber. oy.

Alien Encounter was a movie? I love movies. Love obscure cheesy movies. It was a movie?

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

Disney World still has the Swiss Family Tree House, so why'd they have to change ours?

I'll be curious to see what happens many years down the road when the Pirates movies become old news. They'll be having to change things again.

Well, I don't know why the one at WDW is still the Swiss Family tree, I don't make the creative decisions, I'm just going with what I've heard......

and yeah, they may have to change it to something else later down the road, but that's the nature of the beast.......continuously evolving......

as far as reading?, I'm 26, hardly a 'kid' nowadays, but I taught myself to read at 4, and read at a 9th grade level in the 4th grade, and still read a lot........I'm well-versed in the classics, and just got done reading a marathon load of books by the likes of RL Stevenson, ER Burroughs, and JM Barrie.......

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Morning,

Well, it would really render the *Mark Twain* steam boat obsolete… The Columbia however would fit right in.

Okay, while it’s being decried as a rumor the truth is it was and is something they are considering but it is far, FAR from a done deal.

Too much expense, back lash from Baby Boomers, not fully planned out even now… however they do see those dollar signs being dangled in front of them. Turning TSI into a Pirate Island would be lucrative and keep the interest going long after the movies are spent.

Or…. are they?? :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Well it could be done, but I'd hate to see it happen. I remember as a kid how much I loved to play in the 'tunnels' of the rocks and bouncing like crazy on the barrel pontoon bridge (I don't even know it that's still there) and splashing everbody. Yup, those were the days.... ;)

Morning,

Well, it would really render the *Mark Twain* steam boat obsolete… The Columbia however would fit right in.

Oooh ooh replace the Mark Twain with the Black Pearl or the Flying Dutchman! Either could attack the Columbia! (Red Maria is expecting to be keelhauled now) .

bouncing like crazy on the barrel pontoon bridge (I don't even know it that's still there) and splashing everbody. Yup, those were the days.... ;)

Oh yeah.... it's still there. :P

Gotta love it!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Morning,

Well, it would really render the *Mark Twain* steam boat obsolete…  The Columbia however would fit right in.

Oooh ooh replace the Mark Twain with the Black Pearl or the Flying Dutchman! Either could attack the Columbia! (Red Maria is expecting to be keelhauled now) .

Naw, leave both the Mark Twain and Columbia as is.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Well it could be done, but I'd hate to see it happen. I remember as a kid how much I loved to play in the 'tunnels' of the rocks and bouncing like crazy on the barrel pontoon bridge (I don't even know it that's still there) and splashing everbody. Yup, those were the days.... ;)

I still do that-lol! :rolleyes: It's just a cool little island as is. :)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

"Tom Sawyer Island, becomes Treasure Island! or Isle de Muerta!" Jacky wonders, 'Do ye think they'll let us on the island in our garb?

I can already answer that one...

No. :rolleyes:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif