House Moved by Sea

Captain Jim

There are no words. Two hundred and twenty tons on a barge. In case you think that this is PhotoShopped, I also have pictures of it going on the barge, but that will have to wait until Saturday. This is the Lamb House, relocating from Palmetto FL to Ruskin via Tampa Bay right through the Sunshine Skyway. The 98-year-old house will be used as a retreat for ministers and missionaries. It's a good thing that someone saved this old place or I might have done something unwise/stupid with money.

iC79417F5-B9CA-4EFE-89C9-B5E3F4A54811.jpg

I have watched this house for 43 years, afraid that it would be torn down to make way for "progress." I once broke in to look around (it was abandoned[!] at the time) and found that the original woodwork was still largely in place. The last use of the house was as a County run halfway house for "mentally challenged" individuals. A(nother) condominium is going up where it once stood on the banks of the Manatee River.

Definition of surreal, isn't it?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...