Period Correct Cups, Plates, Tankards and Eating Stuff

Rats

Ok, since we're going for the correct look and plastic sporks won't work. ;) (God I luv a good spork!) so what are correct eating goods?

Pewter goods?

clay works?

Wooden tankards?

Cast iron forks??

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't realy looked very hard for one..... but there were a buncha pewter spoons recovered from the Whydah with holes drilled in the handle to hang them...... with a little looking I'm sure I could find a good copy of one.....

Right now I use a pewter plate, horn spoon, belt knife, pewter tankard or tin cup (OK.... so the tin cup isn't right..... but I can cook in it..... I'll replace it with a copper one kinda soon......)

But there are some (well a few) good pictures in the book "Expedition Whydah" showing the spoons and plates (and some of the initials that were carved into them.......)

I have the last solid-bottomed "Horn Mug" on earth, it would seem.....(Not really, but it seems that way, I rarely see my style anymore)

what I mean is this......

This is my mug:

100_0650.jpg

This is the BOTTOM of my mug

100_0651.jpg

I bought it about a decade ago......it's a great mug, and I love it......but shortly after I bought it, they disappeared from the market.....but only temporarily.....

the reason, was because they re-tooled the molds, because the design used too much pewter......so they hollowed it, and all new ones look like this:

DSCN2684.jpg

I love my big, heavy, solid-bottomed mug......it's nice to know that if I ever need to kill a man with a cup, I have one equal to the task!

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Ok, since we're going for the correct look and plastic sporks won't work. B) (God I luv a good spork!) so what are correct eating goods?

Pewter goods?

clay works?

Wooden tankards?

Cast iron forks??

Rats

Both of my sons think sporks are the greatest things. I'd agree, if it weren't for the foon. B)

Trifid spoons...

http://www.argentum-theleopard.com/archive.cfm

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Your one stop shop for all your clayware needs...

http://www.juliasmith.com/historicpottery/

And who said the 17thC/18thC was drab... good lord... what wonderful colors... if you ever find yourself on Cape Cod, in Sandwich, make sure you visit the oldest house there. It's from the mid-to-late 1600s, and the color scheme is out of this world.

My Home on the Web

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Tuckahoe... yep, Tom Apple's stuff rocks!

Pewter...

http://www.pewterreplicas.co.uk/

The Goose bay dude... his stuff rocks too, I mean big time, though I recall him as sometimes taking liberties with history. Of course, I'm old, and my brain doesn't quite remember things like it used to...

My Home on the Web

"I have the last solid-bottomed "Horn Mug" on earth, it would seem"

Not the last...I know my reenacting group has one or two in with it's loaner gear. Look exactly like that; I think we have one solid bottomed one, and maybe one hollow one.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

A hollow bottomed mug? What will you colonials come up with next? :ph34r:

Is it for recovering alcoholics?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Westmoore Pottery has pottery & hand blown glass that is amazing.

http://www.westmoorepottery.com/index.htm

I'm lusting after their green 1670's beer glass myself.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

A hollow bottomed mug? What will you colonials come up with next? :huh:

Is it for recovering alcoholics?

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

A hollow bottomed mug? What will you colonials come up with next?

I dunno, maybe public toilets that aren't coin operated? :)

OH we used to have those too!

Crewe of the Archangel

Can that mug be be dated to our period?

No Clue to be honest, but It's my drinking mug, hell or high water.....

if I'm at an event, it's tied to me haversack........if it don't go, I don't go........

So, what you are saying is you haven't documented it to our period, and don't care. Gotcha. ;)

My Home on the Web

My dear Mr. Alva. That is the thing that I have learned right quickly whilst being here. Tis not like the legal system. Tis safer to assume something is not period until proven otherwise.

For those of us searching in the thrifts, what stylistic traits should eating utensils during the GAoP have? Certainly not glass bottomed tankards, but what else? Riveted vs. welded handles? Have forks settled into the common 3 prong style?

My thanks to the "particular" sort.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

For those of us searching in the thrifts, what stylistic traits should eating utensils during the GAoP have? Certainly not glass bottomed tankards, but what else? Riveted vs. welded handles? Have forks settled into the common 3 prong style?

Keep in mind the following are my opinions only. :(

First, a good sturdy sharp knife is required. In a pinch, it can be used as a fork. Spoons for the not-ship's-officer are more than probably horn, wood, or unadorned pewter. By 1700, forks were often found with three tines, so worry not. Look for trifid or "Dog Nose" patterns on the handles if you're looking for actual silverware; otherwise, riveted handles of bone or wood will do you fine.

Bowls and the like should be wheel-thrown pottery; Delftware and Staffordshire salt-glazed stoneware are most appropriate. For plates, go metal, like brass, tin, or pewter. Wooden (or "treen") ware had been going out of fashion in England since the 1640s. By the end of the century, even the poorest households in rural areas were replacing treen ware with stoneware, brass, and pewter.

Good luck, and let us know how your search progresses!

Stand and deliver!

Robert Fairfax, Freelance Rapscallion

Highwaymen.gif

Those of you who have been following this thread may notice that it has changed significantly in the last few minutes. That's because I got out my moderator stick and started swinging.

This forum, by its own definition, is "Academic talk on maritime history, research, & interesting info." It is the place for posting research, enquiring about other people's research, asking questions about things appropriate to the Golden Age of Piracy, and related subjects.

It is NOT the place for people to post "Well this is what I use and those who don't like it can go blow!" And I will NOT tolerate such posts.

I will also not tolerate slams against people who choose period appropriate accoutrements for their kit. I will hear no whining about "elitism" "naziism" and other such rot. We don't come into PIRATE POP and tell you that nothing you like is period appropriate. So if you're not interested in historical things, don't come to this forum. If you don't like what we're talking about, don't post here!

In other words NO TROLLING!

I will delete your posts. All your posts. And if you think you can push me further, I'll have you bounced. Understand?

Now play nice.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Here's to you darlin! :lol:

If you ever get tired of yer own prosperous business, we're always looking for toughies in the Shire Reaves! :lol:

Can't we all just get along, or at least drunk!! :lol:

Take care!

Rats!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!