Pirates Raid the Lockhouse

blackjohn

Ahoy.

This fall, on Saturday, November 4th, the Lockhouse Museum in Havre de Grace will be hosting a Pirate Raid. This will be, as far as I know, the biggest gathering of Pirate and Golden Age of Piracy reenactors ever held in the mid-Atlantic region.

If you are a reenactor interesting in attending, please contact me for more info. Hopefully we can make this the best, most authentic, pirate event yet. Rumors say this event will include battles with the local militia, and hanging of captured pirates!

Those from this forum who will be attending include Kass, with her coffeehouse and courtesans, Hector Sterling and (some of) the intrepid crewe of the Archangel, and my own Pirate Brethren.

We'd love to have you join us, either as participants, or as spectators.

Yrs&c,

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, indeed it is.

Here's what we're working on thus far...

I want this to happen, and be the best damn pirate reenactment (w/out a ship) to date.

Here's what I envision. It's 17--. Pirates (us) have landed and set up a camp with the intent to reconnoitre the area and sell some goods. Nearby is a small town (the lockhouse), wherein are colonials (whichever of us want to play the role of civilian) willing to conduct trade with the pirates/buy said goods. However, an alarm has been raised, and the local forces of law and order (Art's group and Baltimore Rangers) are eventually called out to put us to flight.

I see a couple scenarios that can be played out over the course of the day, such as:

pirates sending "scouts" into town

pirates venture into town in force

pirates fighting militia/crown forces

pirates captured by law and held on charges

pirates sprung from captivity

pirates have trial of a deserter/snitch

pirates attack town

pirates killed

and so on.

Sound fun and entertaining and possibly educational?

My Home on the Web

There are two issues of Nor'easter coming out between now and the date of the invasion.

The first of the two isn't going to the press until next Friday (and it's the biggest issue of the year because of the US Powerboat Show, good one to be in!) If you can send me a press release or just a brief description with dates and times I can get the event listed in both issues. :ph34r:

Don't worry about the tree, the gallows are coming!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Have to check with the first lt.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Still trying to work out two days for travel. But I have the 4th and the following four days off. So I should be there, with a bit of luck!

Rats!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

BTW:

I know we're there for the show. But with the Photo opportunities, I hope get plenty of pics for all crews to use and promote!

Bring what you can for extra props and such!

Rats

sig2.jpg

Hey Scrounger, how well do you Sheppy guys fold up? Because if I can pack you into my luggage, you can come to the Lockhouse too! B)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I can just see the look on the X-ray tech's face when the see "the Rats" in your suitcase!!!

"Gee Phil, did you see that?

"Ahm no.." Looking into his coffee cup "Did you???"

"Ahm no....?" Says Bob, now looking into his cup?

"Should we say something?"

"Why, I didn't see nothing!"

"Yeah, yeah... Neither did I..?"

Rats!

sig2.jpg

A rat with rabies shots??? B)

Unfortunately my dear, that kind of defeats the purpose of being such a rodent?! :P

Besides, I'm squeemish around needles... :unsure:

....or was that really big mouse traps? :unsure::unsure:

...or perhaps hungry cats? :ph34r:

I forget! :blink:

rats!

sig2.jpg

united_states.gifunited_kingdom.gif Good Luck With This Venture BlackJohn, Looks Good pirates.gif

Thanks, I appreciate it. Whatever happens, whoever shows, it doesn't matter, because we will have fun. That's one thing I can say about this gang of cutthroats I hang out with, they know how to have fun.

And we've got opposing forces who like to shoot at us! What more could a pirate reenactor want?

:lol::lol::huh::lol:

My Home on the Web

I've been going over the history, and in order to give this event some ties to the area and the local past, have come up with the following...

Please turn your book (Pirates on the Chesapeake) to page 97...

In the fall of 1696, as a result of the excesses of the Markham administration in Pennsylvania, desperate appeals for help reached Nicholson [then governor of neighboring Maryland] from a number of Philadelphia merchants who feared the loss of their ships and crews to Markham's piratical associates.  The streets of Philadelphia were filled with the robbers, who walked about openly, promoting their buccaneering voyages.  They solicited seamen and servants, enticing them with offers of fabulous wealth that could be had in a very short time.  Some suggested that a mariner might make as much as three thousand pounds in as little as three or four months as his share in a "privateering" voyage to the Red Sea.  Merchants and shipowners were forced to compete with the pirates for the services of common seamen by paying up to four months' wages in advance.

On page 98, the governor of Maryland sends forces to Pennsylvania to capture John Day and his crew...

My Home on the Web

Sounds great... I've cut and pasted this over to The Archangel site as well...

Question:

Arrival/Set-up times?

Any chance of setting up tents, fire pits ect. Friday night?

And, roughly, how many rounds a piece?

Yes, I know, I'm a glutton for punishment...

Crewe of the Archangel

bump

Crewe of the Archangel

Sorry, I have ArcGIS training classes all this week so I'm extra extra busy.

Here's the word from the lockhouse...

Firepits are fine - should still be plenty of sand around. We also have a

full shed of quality firewood too.

Arrive anytime and stay as long as you want! 10-5 are the hours I've

publicized.

Sunday would be GREAT!!! I haven't advertised Sunday but I can start

spreading the word in the local press, etc.

These folks are great. They really appreciate reenactors!

My Home on the Web

Oops sorry to bother you... will gather any future questions and lump them all together if needed.... but this helps... thanks alot.. success with your classes!!

Crewe of the Archangel

*sigh*

It really looks like I will be unable to make this event. And I am kicking myself about it, but I just don't see how it will work. Too much crammed into the end of the year (the Middle East work obligation is back on the table again).

You will all be in my thoughts, and I will stand at the pier waving my perfume-soaked hanky in the wind bon voyage... but I fear travel to the Lockhouse is not in my cards.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg