Pirates Way Magazine

Jib

I bought a subscription on ebay a couple of months ago. I trust it was for naught.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Or should I say, not for naught.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

I'm sure he would like to Jib, but i really doubt it.

A new magazine publisher as almost no chance of getting his first issue in distribution and usually has to wait to show his finished mag to the distributors before they will consider the second. If the content is good and the distributors feel there is a market spot for him I assume he will get placement on his winter issue. It really has little to do with the publisher or magazine, its just the way the market works. Kinda sucky for advertisers, but its up to them to do some home work sometimes. Typically startups offer significant price reductions to get advertisers on board for the first copy.

Pirates Magazine didnt have this problem as they had a track record with Faerie Magazine already and actually Pirates ( most likely because of the movie) out sold Faerie by more then double from day one.

I really havent been around the publishers much lately as we are crushed with work (mostly cutlass and sabers!) but I do try to keep up with them when I can. I'm only getting computer time late night for the next 4 or 5 weeks. I was at MDRF off and on, but didnt see Black Fox to talk to him. I did talk to Brad of Pirates Royal, I was lucky to catch him between songs!

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this elsewhere as well.

Wow, this rag is sooo bad.

The writing, spelling, grammar, even the punctuation is worse than you would expect from a high school news paper. Several of the photos are so unflattering to the subject or just blurry. The "Pyrate Events Calendar" lists 15 events, 10 of which have already passed.

The only redeeming article is the one on Bartholomew Roberts. Three of the articles are nothing more then press releases.

Pass this one by, I wish I had.

The writing, spelling, grammar, even the punctuation is worse than you would expect from a high school news paper. Several of the photos are so unflattering to the subject or just blurry. The "Pyrate Events Calendar" lists 15 events, 10 of which have already passed.

The only redeeming article is the one on Bartholomew Roberts. Three of the articles are nothing more then press releases.

Considering that the poster has only posted 4 times and either been postive FOR Pirates Magazine or negative toward me and the many fellow pirates who put together The Pyrates Way, I'd take this opinion with a grain of salt and question whether it's friends of our competition, trying to sway folks. . . it's kind of sad.

All I can say is pick up a copy of The Pyrates Way which will be hitting the retail outlets in the next few weeks, or order a copy directly from the website.

As with any new idea, there will be detractors, I just wish they were a bit more honest about their motivations and not continue to be keyboard cowards.

oh, by the way newspaper is one word.

Considering that the poster has only posted 4 times and either been postive FOR Pirates Magazine or negative toward me and the many fellow pirates who put together The Pyrates Way, I'd take this opinion with a grain of salt and question whether it's friends of our competition, trying to sway folks. . . it's kind of sad.

All I can say is pick up a copy of The Pyrates Way which will be hitting the retail outlets in the next few weeks, or order a copy directly from the website.

As with any new idea, there will be detractors, I just wish they were a bit more honest about their motivations and not continue to be keyboard cowards.

oh, by the way newspaper is one word.

Hello luv. Will you be at faire on Sunday? Send me an email when you get a chance.

Muwah.

Rotten, evil, no-good plotting, spoon-fed, going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket lass!

Always trying to bury that little devil on my shoulder and go to the angelic side -

even if just for a moment - choking down whatever evil scheme I was plotting!!!!

PirateFlag_sig.gif

A Fine Crew Indeed

My Webpage-----Pyrate Invasion at PARF-2004-----MDRF 2004 Opening Day

Yepper, Amazon.com, the biggest distributor of books and magazines on the planet, now offers The Pyrates Way Magazine.

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchan...6003518-2330548

You pay the cover price plus shipping as noted.

Yes. We ARE excited.

As for Barnes & Noble. . .they contacted us a month ago about carrying the magazine and we're finished with the submission process for Borders. We can't tell you when they'll be on those store shelves but the timing is weeks, not months. Your best bet is to beg for the publication at your local shop to help get us out there.

The smaller outlets will have to contact us directly (many small chains have already). We're not going with a major distributor because of their "middle-man" business practices. (it takes six months to be paid by the distributor who wants a 70% discount and the publisher must pay for any magazines not sold (i.e. returns). . . this doesn't seem really fair, considering the distributors get paid up front by the store chains.)

Never the less, should the two large magazine distributors come up with a better deal for independent publishers, we'll re-assess the situation.

I'd take this opinion with a grain of salt and question whether it's friends of our competition, trying to sway folks. . .  it's kind of sad.

As with any new idea, there will be detractors, I just wish they were a bit more honest about their motivations  and not continue to be keyboard cowards.

You make a very good point so I reviewed and critiqued the rag, here is the first paragraph and you can find the full review here at The Pyrates Way Reviewed!

At first glance this magazine looks like, well, a magazine. It is glossy and has a pleasant front cover, alluding to the articles contained within. This, however, is where the redeeming qualities of the Pyrates Way end.

Hey Black Fox!, just out of curiousity, does Days Of Knights in Newark, DE carry your paper?

I may approach them directly since they're local but I would think they get most of their mags, rags, cards and collectibles (hey, that's a cool name for a store m'thinks). . . from Diamond Distributors owned by Steve Jeppi.

Diamond is a distributor of our magazine, so just about every specialty card/comic shop will have the opportunity to get copies.