Flags of Fortune

BILLY BONES

I feel a little sheepish putting an ad on here, but here goes. While working as the armorer on POTC 2&3, I was asked to make 12 pirate flags to be featured in the 3rd movie. These were extemely large flags for the most part, being 25' on the fly, and of course, double sided. Since then, I've been asked to make more for the film, and I thought, now wait a minute --- even though these were a pain in the ____ for my wife and I to make (I had to come up with them during a Christmas break from Pirates), why not make them for you mates (for a price). Of course, I don't see alot of call for flags as large as the film required, although we're willing to make them, but the cost is pretty high for such a thing.

We're willing to make your own designs or make the standard well known designs. I put my own spin on some of the designs, using early descriptions, rather than relying on the usual sources. I probably won't hand sew these for various reasons, and frankly, I believe many of the originals were painted as well, depending on the design. I will say that, these flags will be good and servicable, and of pleasing composition. I'm still working on a price list, mainly because there are so many factors involved, such as materials, intricacy of design, size, painted or sewn, etc. I think you would be pleased with the result though. I have flags on permanent display in the Black History wing of the Smithsonian, and have made the flags for Last of the Mohicans, Glory, Gettysburg, and about 20 other historical films. Anyway, it's a thought, and I wanted to throw this out there to see if there was much interest. We are in earnest about this, and I'll be at Ojai this weekend wandering around if you happen to be there ---- I'd love your input. BB

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Be not sheepish for this is exactly the place for this sort of commerce. Post yer prices, and we'll see. I've tried twice to paint mine, and the results were not so good. Too stiff. If you can do my flag at a reasonable price, I have other things that I can attend to myself. See my signature and avatar for what I am after, four foot on the fly, except I intend to replace the 1861 cutlass with a more period sword depiction.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

If naut else I'd be interested in talkin more bouts the creation o yer flags. been thinkin meself that applique would be more period, usin' up scraps 'round tha ship n' such. thats a topic fer twill though to be sure.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Great idea, Billy! Anxious to see what you come up with - there is always a demand out there for crewe flags as well as the historical ones...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I'm interested......

I need a Rackham style flag, my custom Roger, and the East India Company Flag........all in cotton, or another appropriate material (I do NOT want nylon, or any 'artificial' fiber)

name yer terms

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

I cant promise to spend the societies money without first checking with the quartermaster, But C.H.E.S. have recently finished designing our colours. So, depending on cost, we way well have an order for you too.

We would also be interested in a pre 1801 union Jack (no red diagonals).

Will you be posting here when you have a better idea of prices?

"Tall Paul" Adams

Sorry mates. Just got back from the Ojai Pirate Festival after driving for 14 hours. A bit done in, but I'll try to address your messages post haste. Patience! BB

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

I didn't know who you were when we were jawin with ye at the pub-You were one pyrat I wanted to find and meet as the scallwag who was droolin after ye lovely weapon with me wants a flag with a skull over crossed tridents. Let me know when ye are rested up as to the amount of booty ye want for one. :huh:

Mates,

I finally worked out me pryce list, and if you would be so kind as to email me, but not through the pub (I can figure out regular email, but have never been able to attach anything here), I shall be happy to send you same, plus a photo or two. Thanks for your indulgence. BB

Postscript; I should have a website up and running soon, if I can get my son to do it for me.

Capt. William Bones

Oh, me email is njordbloodaxe@verizon.net

Capt. William Bones

• 4 weeks later...

Just recieved my flag by Billy Bones---F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C-- :ph34r: , I went for the Blackbeard flag, but have a design of my own I hope to have made next. All sizes---as big as you want. I will have mine covering one wall in my study.

yours,

Dirk Behana

Thanks Dirk! Let me know when you want to start the next one! BB

Capt. William Bones

Just recieved my flag by Billy Bones---F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C-- :lol: , I went for the Blackbeard flag, but have a design of my own I hope to have made next. All sizes---as big as you want. I will have mine covering one wall in my study.

yours,

Dirk Behana

P-I-C-T-U-R-E-S P-L-E-A-S-E

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it in it's new home as well.

Capt. William Bones