Pinewood Derby

Rumba Rue

On Sunday, at Capt. Grey's house there was a pool party and Pinewood Derby race for the San Diego Star Wars Society group.

I worked hard on my car, I sawed and filed, painted and decorated my own car without the use of fancy dremel tools and gadgets that others had.

Here's the pictures, oh and my car WON!

Rumba's derby car

derby car #2

back end of car

side view of car

The other cars

The Landspeeder that broke apart at the end

Capt. Grey's car

Rumba's Winning Car

Very cool! Did your car come out at the correct weight, 5.0 ounces?

Mine weighed in at 4.9 ounces.

Actually, I don't know for certain. Just to be different we didn't have a weight rule. We just wanted outrageous cars.

The winner made his car out of solid stock steel. It was about 4.9 pounds...

IMG_0045.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Ok here is my car or my son's or... I built it and he decided he wanted to race it. It won most unique design, which is what I was going for and 2nd place in the Webelos II division. I had to cut the masts down so it would fit under the finish line but I'm happy with it.

son's car 2006

And my daughter's car won best looking. She picked out the colors and decals. I think she also came in 3rd in the siblings race.

daughter's car 2006

Your son's car is great looking! Your daughter's is done well too! :lol:

Next year our group is hoping to do this again in May. I don't want to make another car (but probably will if I can get the right tools) and will just race the current winner (me) against the newcomers.

We just wanted outrageous cars. 

The winner made his car out of solid stock steel.  It was about 4.9 pounds...

:lol:;)

And machined ball-bearing wheels, too, I see. (Lubricated with silicone spray, no doubt.) Next step: rocket engines?

Your son's car is great looking! Your daughter's is done well too!  ;)

Next year our group is hoping to do this again in May. I don't want to make another car (but probably will if I can get the right tools) and will just race the current winner (me) against the newcomers.

Thanks.

The boat and one mast is from the rain gutter regatta kit. The water, and various decks are from the pinewood derby kit and the rest is popsicle stick, bambo skewer and a dowel rod. Oh and a wooden bobbin.