Pirate Food

JohnnyTarr

I have been looking at some of the recipie sites that I have gotten and it got me to thinking. Just what would this stuff taste like? So instead of cooking all of it I thought I would ask what others have done or tasted? What would you have changed?

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Dear john!

I would have changed this question to ask exactly what it is that you have an interest in as we don't have your websites to know what it is you think we might absorb through osmosis but mate re-read this and answer it your self!

Touch somebody you don't know today with a smile.

I would have changed this question to ask exactly what it is that you have an interest in as we don't have your websites to know what it is you think we might absorb through osmosis but mate re-read this and answer it your self!

Don't worry, Johnny, I can't tell what he said either. However, he used enough key words that through amateur cryptography I was able to make an educated guess.

He wants to know specifically which recipes you are asking about because he doesn't know what recipe sites you are referencing. Admittedly, I can only recall having hard tack and I can't remember a specific pirate food other than hard tack which I may have tried.

However, I would be interested in trying some of the said recipes you've found, so if you'll post a few sites I will promise to attempt the recipes and get back to you.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

aye, good ta see I weren't the only one had trouble wit what Mr Richards said.

I 'ave a recipe as it were for salmagundi. I'm a feared o it though. Pickled vegetables, fruit, eggs, various meats, cinnamon & garlic, all in one dish? I'll stick to hard tack. Lest I know whats in her.

Me mum makes a smashing glug. No recipe fer that, jest fill a pot wit yer vodka, rum, port & anythin else strong. Toss in a few spices & drink er hot. Makes a family gathern worth while.

I heard tell pyrtes ate turtle right regular. Seems we're fresh out round these parts.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

My version of salmangundi- what ever is left over in the frige gets put together for a meal. :ph34r:

I grew up knowing it as "Clean Out the 'Fridge Gumbo." Never boring, that's for sure! :ph34r:

Hmmmmm.... The idea of stale water or grog (or skunky small beer), rancid salt meat, and weevilly biscuit doesn't sound like a table I'd rush to sit at. If I were starving, then yes. For the sake of historical accuracy? I wouldn't eat that with Nancy Pelosi's mouth. sick.gif

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Now those be recies I can handle Mr. Hand. Me thinks the beer is a better lot. Tha rum tis only 8 oz a day. Not much once ye spread it out.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog