Group Justaucorps Project?

I am spoiled for choice right now for fabrics for this justaucorps project, and can't seem to make up my mind.

I really want to go with some silk grosgrain (blue) that I picked up at TORM last year, but I really don't have a lining for it yet. The piece is just about 3.5 meters long.

I was hoping to find some red grosgrain silk for the turnback cuffs... and TORM is only a few weeks away...

That being said, I bought some watered taffeta silk (red) that I half thought could be the lining for the coat.... but its 5 yards of watered silk taffeta, which would make a nice justaucorps in its own right....

Pardon me for thinking/typing out loud....

Or, I could do a wool... as I have some nice wools. I noticed though that all the wools I have bought seem to be earth tones, browns, tans, orangish ones. I must really be attracted to that pallet as I have scads of those colours.

And then, a few years ago, I snagged some 100% silk velvet (on a linen base). Whoaaaa. To be honest, I never felt real silk velvet (most of what we buy is silk backed with a synthetic pyle) until I bought this stuff... Its crunchy!

Sadly its blue... kind of a light blue. I am really not into blue. But the fabric is gorgeous, so I bought it.

And I got 14 meters of it........ I am saving that for something special, or more correctly, saving it for my skill sewing level to increase :lol:

Sooooo.....

I have about a month to decide, and then we can start this group project!

Greg aka GoF, aka fabric whore.

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's a Hancock Fabrics near you, Pete, try there. They often have terrific wools.

Actually, I subscribe to Hancock Frabics online coupons, and received (at 1:44 AM this morning) a 40% off coupon for any one cut of fabric, as well as 50% of buttons (limit 10 cards).

Now I might drive in the other direction...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

And then, a few years ago, I snagged some 100% silk velvet (on a linen base).  Whoaaaa.  To be honest, I never felt real silk velvet (most of what we buy is silk backed with a synthetic pyle) until I bought this stuff... Its crunchy!

Sadly its blue... kind of a light blue.  I am really not into blue.  But the fabric is gorgeous, so I bought it.

And I got 14 meters of it........  I am saving that for something special, or more correctly, saving it for my skill sewing level to increase  :lol:

Greg aka GoF, aka fabric whore.

Hey Frenchdog... I mean... fabric whore... I mean.. Greg... if you want to sell some of this let me know....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I raise me tankard t'ye, lads and lassies, fer the fine commeraderie and help ye be givin' folk on this project. :(

While I ain't bin able t'participate, this thread will certainly be a treasure trove o'good information fer them whats wants t'make a fine coat.

Now I gots t'get back t'sewin' me Jedi robes. :(

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

...Back from errands.

Fabric purchases complete. I picked up my wool from Hancock Fabricks (good call, Kass... thanks a bunch!) and that was with a 40% off coupon.

Drove back to a different Jo Anne Fabrics and picked up the needed linen (using that store's 40% off coupon). I also picked up 24 more buttons, using the 50% off Hancock coupon (Jo Anne honors competitor coupons)... I think I have around 70 thus far.

So, here's my inventory:

Wool. Check. (It's a light brown, not dissimilar to what Rateye was wearing at Bristol... although perhaps a shade darker).

Linen. Check.

Buttons. Around 70 -- pattern calls for "up to 150." I might push for the max.

That means I am ready to go. So my next step is to lay out the pattern and start cutting. However, household improvement projects must take priority for the rest of the day (my birthday is tomorrow -- wife must remain happy).

I also picked up that other fabric -- I will probably make a second coat from that. The fabric is certainly not as authentic -- thus I might try sewing each step on THAT coat first, and then not repeating mistakes on the authentic wool one. When I am done, I will have another Fantasy Pirate Coat, which I can wear to parties, or possibly sell for a hefty profit (I received so many offers for my first one...)

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Okay, a question for Kass... The pattern (we are talking about Justacorps RH 701) calls for linen (for example) lining as well as linen for interlining.

Am I correct in assuming that I can use the SAME linen for both lining and interlining? I don't mean to skimp on the amount of fabric used -- rather use the same material (double quantity: six yards) for both purposes?

While you may have ADVICE to offer me (and others) on whether this is wise or not, I hope your answer is "YES" to my specific question... 'cuz I already purchased 6.5 yards of linen for this purpose (40% off!).

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Read through entire pattern. Check.

Read through a couple pertinent chapters from my very dog-eared copy of Kohler's "A History of Costume" to supplement the information in the pattern, and to back up my own creative decisions. Check.

Make decisions on pockets. Check.

Wash the linen. Check.

Pull all the buttons from the cards and put the loose buttons all into ONE container. Check.

Run completely out of energy and momentum. Check.

I need to iron the washed-and-wrinkled linen, and begin cutting all the material. Yes, I know I said that earlier, but I am really at that stage... just dead-tired now.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

yes, it's doing the actual cutting without thier help that I haven't figured out yet.

Can't wait to see your choices Captain Straw.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog