Flintlock differences

JohnnyTarr

Ok so I have been looking at flintlock rifles and pistols. The over $300 price tag is right now out of my reach. But I was looking at some kits for under $100. But these kits are for the later 1700's. Now what is the difference? I could not see any difference but then I don't know what I am looking for either.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

First up, an illustrated reference to all the components of a flintlock

http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~slaw/Sues...age/flintlk.htm

Secondly, "who do you want to be and where did you get your firelock"?

That would dictate what sort of weaponry you'd bear, but since the flintlock era extends into the 1840s your rule-of-thumb should be 'the earlier the better'.

That means no Third Model Brown Bess, or East India Company/Napoleonic style pistols. Bridles are bad, no bridles are good (unless you plan to hang a flashguard on the lock).

Perhaps if you posted links to the kits you've been looking at, that could help in mustering more answers for you.

Check out this thread on pistols

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8390

Dances for nickels.

The very first thing I have to say on the subject is that "you get what you pay for".

But beyond that, more helpful information is that the earlier style of pistols mostly have thin walled, large caliber, (.50 or over) tapering smoothbore barrels, rather than the thick walled smaller caliber octagonal barrels. The earlier pistols are much more graceful in appearance because of it. Most of the earlier pistols also don't have sights on them either, and the locks tend to be a bit larger.

I don't want to be accused of being some kind of elitist, so I don't jump into a thread in such a way as to insult someones choices after they have spent their money, although I will always advise caution when there is a big difference in pricing. Usually there are some very good reasons that some guns cost more than others.

I will always answer specific questions if asked, but I hate to torpedo a guy that believes what he paid for is top quality.

I find that many times, folks buy something without really knowing the difference between mediocre quality and top grade stuff, simply because they have nothing to compare it to. Usually the difference only becomes apparent upon seeing the pieces side by side.

Better to save up the funds for something worth having. I have never seen a gun or kit for under $100 that I would consider buying.

>>>>> Cascabel

• 3 weeks later...

If you are considering making your own pistols, it is worth giving these guys a look.

Muzzleloader Builders Supply Company.

They have a comprihensive range of stock, Everything you would need to build your own gun.

Unfortunately, there is a severe shortage of good pictures of the items that they sell.

They don't so much sell Kits, as matched sets of parts for given models of pistols.

European Pistol Sets.

Hope that this helps,

"Tall Paul" Adams.

...That means no Third Model Brown Bess, or East India Company/Napoleonic style pistols.

In fact, if you're going for GAoP era and want to be accurate it means no Brown Besses of any model. The first pattern bess wasn't issued until 1727, and then only in small numbers. By any conceivable reckoning it would have taken several years for these "government" weapons to reach the seagoing criminal world in any kind of quantity.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

The pattern for the Land musket (aka "Brown Bess") dates from the 1706 Dutch contract arms.

The next modification of the pattern occured during the reign of King George I (with iron fittings)-

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/(636).htm

So, brass mounted "Brown Bess" muskets of the 1730 pattern wouldn't be appropriate for the GAOP as Fox notes.

Best to go with a doglock musket, fusil de chasse, blunderbuss, pistol, etc.

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/fl...etcmuskets.html

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Those prices under "All flintlock kits" are for the lock parts as cast. You will still need to polish, assemble and regulate them. But those prices are for the lock kit only. Fully asembled, $120. Kentucky pistol kit, $410 and out of period for us anyway. Does that answer your question?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEW...EWmuskets.shtml

There's plenty of good, period arms there.....

they're made in India, but they often feature original (period) maker's marks, and stamps......

some complain about lock speed, but that's adjustable......if you know what you're doing......

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Cpt_Alva

Do you have any Middlesex trading village weapons? With all of this., talk about the lock speed and knowing what your doing to fix a Middlesex lock (thus voiding any warrantee....., they are warranteed so people dont have to do that., they replace and repair ., there good people)..., and this business about people with mixed feelings....., I am hoping you could shed more light on this.

Maybe tell us the names of those who are unhappy so they could elaborate more on this for us. I am sure Middlesex would be happy to help them out. It is in their best interest to do that.

I personally own several., Pete and Wendy at Middlesex have been very forthcoming on keeping their name good., I have heard nothing but good and have been treated well., The same can be said for Military Heritage (The Discriminaring General) and Loyalist Arms by the way.

I did have a licensed gunsmith mess up a Military Heritage lock for me..., and MH applied the money paid on the pistol toward a Blunderbuss...., 2 YEARS after the original purchase ! No Questions asked. And they do not have to warrantee something thats been piddled with...., but they did.., I find this to be outstanding behavour.

I have experience wiith all 3 dealers., my name is definitely in their computers. They are all good.. I see no differance.

My question is why the regular brush off of Middlesex and whats your experience with them., and can we hear from those who got hurt by their purchases from Pete and Wendy?

bear in mind, people here have mixed feelings about the company.......most people here are partial to "Loyalist Arms".....

I don't have any preference at the moment, but that could change once I finally have the money for the piece I've been eyeing, and have it in my hands.......

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEW...EWmuskets.shtml

There's plenty of good, period arms there.....

they're made in India, but they often feature original (period) maker's marks, and stamps......

some complain about lock speed, but that's adjustable......if you know what you're doing......

By the way ., yes they are an Indian made gun., as are Military Heritage and Loyalist. If you would like an american made gun., get ready to lay out some real dough...., a good gun for a middle of the road price would be an Italian made weapon., Nothing wrong with an Indian made gun for 3 bills.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"