WXPN In Philly playing ROUGE'S GALLERY

Story

For those that miss it, check out http://www.xpn.org/playlists.php 22nd August around 3:30PM. B) They're playing the ROGUE'S GALLERY CD.

High Barbary

music & lyrics: Traditional

Look ahead, look astern, look the weather and the lee,

Blow high, blow low, and so sailed we

I see a wreck to windward and a lofty ship to lee

A-sailin' down along the coast of High Barbary

"Are you a privateer, or a man-of-war cried we?"

"I am a lusty pirate ship come lookin' for my fee!"

For broadside, for broadside, we fought along the main,

Until at last the frigate shot the pirate's mast away

With cutlass and gun, O, we fought for hours three;

The ship is was their coffin and their grave it was the sea

"For quarter, for quarter", the saucy pirates cried

But the quarter that we showed them was to sink them in the tide

But O! 'Twas a cruel sight, and grieved us, full sore,

To see them all a drownin' as they tried to swim to shore

We sail tonight for Singapore

We're all as mad as hatters here

I've fallen for tawny moor

Took off to the land of Nod

Drank with all the Chinamen

Walked the sewers of Paris

I danced along a colored wind

Dangled from a rope of sand

You must say goodbye to me

Don't fall asleep while you're ashore

Cross your heart and hope to die

When you hear the children cry.

Let marrow bone and cleaver choose

While making feet for children shoes

Through the alley

Back from Hell

When you hear that steeple bell

You must say goodbye to me.

Wipe him down with gasoline

Till his arms are hard and mean,

From now on boys this iron boat's your home

So heave away boys.

Take your blankets from the floor

Wash your mouth out by the door

The whole town is made of iron ore

Every witness turns to steam

They all become Italian dreams

Fill your pockets up with earth

Get yourself a dollar's worth

Away boys, away, boys, heave away

The captain is a one-armed dwarf

He's throwing dice along the wharf

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

So take this ring

Repeat First Verse

Dances for nickels.

Willner navigates from folk to bounding main

By Chris Morris

The Hollywood Reporter

August 17, 2006

Quote:

"I'm very lucky," Hal Willner says. Very lucky and very, very busy.

A man who always appears to have an infinite amount of music whizzing around in his head, producer Willner is everywhere right now. He served as music producer and concert director for Lian Lunson's current film homage "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man" and helmed Lucinda Williams' version of "Gentle on My Mind" for Will Ferrell's comedy hit "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby."

On Tuesday, Epitaph's Anti imprint will issue "Rogue's Gallery," a typically eclectic two-CD compilation of pirate ballads and chanteys.

The Williams production is something of a rarity, for Willner's forte has long been his freewheeling multiartist tribute albums. Since 1981, he has plumbed the catalogs of Nino Rota, Kurt Weill, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus and Walt Disney's animated features. "Rogue's Gallery" was instigated by "Pirates of the Caribbean" director Gore Verbinski and his star Johnny Depp, who sold Epitaph's founder Brett Gurewitz and president Andy Kaulkin on the idea. The label executives then approached Willner.

"I said, 'Sea chanteys -- wow, perfect,' " the producer recalls. "I didn't know much about that stuff at all. Isn't that the perfect reason to take on a project?"

Cut in Seattle, Los Angeles, London and Dublin, "Rogue's Gallery" takes in a range of barnacle-covered nautical oldies, from the ripely gorgeous to the wickedly profane. Its 43 tracks include performances by such superstars as Bono and Sting; Willner familiars such as Lou Reed, Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright and David Thomas; and such delightful eccentrics as Seattle musician Baby Gramps and English artist Ralph Steadman.

"I can't think of a project that I've had more fun on," Willner says. A second volume is planned for next year, just in time for the third installment of "Pirates."

The Shout! Factory box includes sometimes astonishing new readings of traditional songs by such artists as Sonic Youth and Roswell Rudd, Elvis Costello, Steve Earle, Gavin Friday, Mary Margaret O'Hara and David Johansen.

"I look at everything like a meal," he says, explaining his studio philosophy. "You got your entree, your appetizer, your dessert, the vegetable you hate that's good for you. ... Things that aren't even complete, you just go with it."

Dances for nickels.

'Pirate' CD: this one's legit

USA TODAY

By Ken Barnes

June 20, 2006

Quote:

This just in: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest's star and director, Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski, have teamed with Hal Willner, the distinguished producer of many unusual compilations (featuring artists performing anything from Disney music to Brecht/Weill compositions), to produced a double CD's worth of, well, pirate music.

Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys is set for Aug. 22 release and features contributions by Bono; Bryan Ferry; Sting; Nick Cave; both Richard Thompson and his singer/songwriter son, Teddy; Loudon Wainwright III and his singer/songwriter son, Rufus; and Andrea Corr of The Corrs. Other performers range from actor John C. Reilly to '60s cult artist Van Dyke Parks to jazz guitar whiz Bill Frisell to British folk legend Martin Carthy and his folk-singing daughter, Eliza. Pirates -- bringing families everywhere together.

Dances for nickels.

to British folk legend Martin Carthy and his folk-singing daughter, Eliza. Pirates -- bringing families everywhere together.

Personally I think they should have had Norma sing as well. I like her rendition of Lowlands Away.

I do hope that "bringing families everywhere together bit wasn't about Eliza and Martin... considering that they are in two bands together and will do stuff on each others cds etc.

Okay, I should shut up...

Because the world does revolve around me, and the universe is geocentric....