Medical supplies from Godwin

Rateye

As some of you know, I've been pressed into service as a doctor. Under good advice I've begon purchasing supplies and a medical book from Goodwin.

In result, I've just recieved said book, a forceps, a scissors and an amputation knife.

The sciccors is of standard size and a bit curved. (Basic but to the point)

The forceps are of good size and perfect for the crowd to see (About the size of a kitchen scissors)

The amputation knife is a curved blade with the blade being curved downward. Said knife is abou tthe size of a good butcher or bread knife. (Sharp too)

The book is written in old world english and will be a good study for my personna. Though I believe it was for rev war, it will be a good means for quotes and medical discriptions.

I feel the purchases were a good first step into a flexible persona.

JMHO

Rats

• 1 month later...

Rats,

I thought I would refresh this thread...

As we discussed ever-so-briefly, I have been collecting antique medical instruments (and creating replicas) for several years. Of course, my collection centers around the 1860s. However, a few things predate the Civil War, and I have been recently rummaging though my collection to see what needs to go in a new (older) medical box...

Regarding bleeding: I have a nice original bone-handled fleam. I have also been picking up a few bleeding cups ... and you can always get some leeches at the local bait store.

I will endeavor to stage a decent photo showcasing my collection and try to post a picture here for all to see.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

• 2 months later...

Damn my eyes, Mr. Delmar 'as finally made it back ta tha pub! Now best get yer self over to initiation rites so I can buy ye a drink sir!

I would also like ta see photo's of yer kits gentlemen.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

If I may share a little, the second and third pictures on this page show our surgeon's tools. He's got quite an impressive array. But he's far too fond of certain treatments involving large syringes... :huh:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!