Queen Anne's Revenge Restaurant

hurricane

Our crewe just returned from a trek to North Carolina for a pirate festival. On the way back, we stopped over at the Queen Anne's Revenge restaurant in Charleston. If you're traveling anywhere in the area - don't miss this place.

There are plenty of artifacts to see, including an impressive scale model of the ship itself. The weapons on display were impressive, as were the loaned works of Pyle dotting the walls and the bar. Plus, the food was outstanding. We could have stayed there all day if the schedule had allowed.

Link to their website.

http://www.qarevenge.com/

Check the tour link out. It's pretty good.

We have some photos of our visit too.

Go past the ones of Bald Head Island and you'll see some closeups, including ones of a frock coat with bullet holes that's in the restaurant. Pretty cool!

http://web.mac.com/robbzerr/iWeb/Site/Last%20Roll.html

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Yes, it was fun going on account with you and your lass sir. We'll be seeing you again in the near future, I presume? Loved Bald Head Island and the islander's hospitality...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I thought Queen Anne's Revenge was great...up to a point. The look is great, and they had some really cool artifacts. I was ready to love it. I wanted to love it.

I didn't love it.

It suffered from the failure common to most "theme" restaurants--they went 3/4's of the way, then stopped. What I mean is this: You have this great location, fantastic decor and a great theme, so why is your food identical to TGI Friday's, Bennigan's and Applebee's?

I am not suggesting that they sell stockfish and ship's bread. I know that this would not be commercially viable. Still, why can't the menu match the theme?

I have eaten at just about every Colonial-themed restaurant from Massachussetts to Florida, and most of them make at least a stab at injecting period flavor into their choices. Why not offer Salmagundi (chef's salad), Buccaneer Beef (barbequed ribs) and egg and onion pye (quiche)? People could still eat what they like, but they might accidentally learn something.

This is a sore point for me, as I have taught Colonial cooking classes for more than a decade. People are astonished that our ancestors didn't eat rancid, tasteless slop. Give them a taste of piping hot Indian Pudding with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and they are converts for life.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Give them a taste of piping hot Indian Pudding with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and they are converts for life.

Awwww man... now I'm hungry! I haven't had good colonial fare in a long time. Fortunately, a friend is having a period wedding in Williamsburg in the not too distant future.

So I'm curious, where have you found the best colonial food?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Ah, Colonial food! My favorite topic (as my waistline demonstrates).

As for my favorites, I have a few. As for the most perfect setting, it would be City Tavern in Philadelphia. It is a near perfect recreation of an original waterfront tavern (although pretty upscale). Expensive, but worth it, if only for cocktails after touring the Independence Hall area.

My sentimental favorite is The Dobbin House in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania (the oldest house west of the Susquehanna, or so they claim). I went to school there, and their basement pub is the perfect escape on a cold winter night (or, better still, on a hot summer day). Food isn't bad, either. Pretty serving wenches in period garb, generous portions and a house cocktail called Rum Belly's Vengeance...Wow!

All in all, I would probably rate Shields' Tavern in Williamsburg as the most complete "immersion" experience. Sit in the basement, if you can, and see if you can get "Mr. Shields" to visit your table. I hosted a family gathering there the Christmas of 2004, and our dinner at Shields' was the highlight of the visit. Wonderful food and fantastic atmosphere.

As for favorite dishes, I would nominate the Cream of Crawfish soup at the King's Arms Tavern in Williamsburg and the Bread Pudding with Bourbon and Vanilla Sauce at Fraunces' Tavern in New York City. My blood sugar soars at the thought!

My feeling about Colonial taverns is like my feeling about pizza: even bad pizza is good.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

The food may have not been authentic but it was fabulous. I had the pecan crusted grouper on a bed of spinach that was to die for. Every dish we had (10 of us ate there) was superb. I would expect it from a restaurant of this caliber to serve fine food, but it was many, many notches above the ordinary fare you'd find at a Bennigans, TGIF or Olive Garden. I would make the six hour drive to eat there again, as would all of my crewe.

--

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

How cool is that? Thankfully, Bald Head Island is a long drive from Orlando, so we opted to stay overnight in Charleston. One of our crewe mates, Master Studley, showed us the way while playing tour guide.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny