Nautical Wit 'n Wisdom.....

the Royaliste

Aye, mateys, don't 'afta read 'em if'n ye don't want, but 'eres a nautical thought or quip for the day...'A sailing ship is an exceedingly complex,sensitive, and capricious creation- quite as much so as most human beings. Her coquetry and exasperating deviltry have been the delight and despair of seamen's hearts, at least since the days when the wise, though much-married, Solomon declared that among the things that were too wonderful for him andwhich he knew not, was " the way of a ship in the midst of the sea."..Capt. Arthur H. Clark

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, wheteher it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. -John F. Kennedy

The cure for anything is salt water-sweat, tears, or the sea.

-Isak Dinesen

They that go down to the sea in ship,

that do business in great waters;

These see the works of the Lord,

and his wonders in the deep.

-Psalm 107

It's out there at sea that you are really yourself.

-Vito Dumas

In certain places, at certain hours, gazing at the sea is dangerous. It is what looking at a woman sometimes is.

-Victor Hugo

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

The wonder is always new that any sane man can be a sailor.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson

It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better.

-Sir Francis Drake

On board ship there are many sources of joy of which the land knows nothing. You may flirt and dance at sixty; and if you are awkward in the turn of a valse, you may put it down to the motion of the ship. You need wear no gloves, and may drink your soda-and-brandy without being ashamed of it. -Anthony Trollope

Yer basic mid-19th C version of Party On!

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

Will anyone dare to tell me that business is more entertaining than fooling around among boats? He must have never seen a boat, or never seen an office, who says so...

-Roberty Louis Stevenson

The fireside is nice and there are those for whom it will be the ultimate Utopia, but the fireside is nicer still when you can remember the joys of an offshore passage and dream of the time when you can go out and do it again.

-Ted Jones

To me, nothing made by man is more beautiful than a sailboat under way in fine weather, and to be on that sailboat is to be as close to heaven as I expect to get. It is unalloyed happiness.

-Robert Manry

Up aloft you hang on. Beyond the breakwater the wild Atlantic growls. Plumes of spray pounce on lighthouse windows...Up here, you feel the motion more. You feel her reach out over a sea and hang; then down she goes with a sickening rush, and the second after the crash your mast goes buckling forward with a sideways motion. You wonder how wood can take it.

-Sterling Hayden

For what is the array of the strongest ropes, the tallest spars, and the stoutest canvas against the mighty breath of the infinite, but thistle stalks, cobwebs, and gossamer.

-Joseph Conrad

.....Oui!..How'dya get them things to stack up?.. never 'ave figgured it out!....... 

Just hit 'Enter' to stack things.

Coastie :P

"it's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars."

-Garrison Keillor

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

They were all fine sailing days, but unfortunately they were ideal only for sailing in the wrong direction.

-Francis Brenton

Wind is to us what money is to life on shore.

-Sterling Hayden

Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know.

-Donald Hamilton

Off Cape Horn there are but two kinds of weather, neither one of them a pleasant kind.

-John Masefield

A Head Wind.  A contrary wind, I know not how, puts us all out of good humour; we grow sullen, silent, and reserved, and fret at each other upon every litttle occasion. -Ben Franklin

Aye Cap'n,

A fine quote from Ben Franklin!

Tho... me favorite one from th' Lad be;

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

Liberty is a well armed lamb, contesting the vote.

- Ben Franklin

An amaizin' man full o' such wit n' wisdom...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

There is no democracy. However, I do like to hear any well thought out, reasonable suggestion. Once.

-Bus Mosbacher

A sailing ship is no democracy; you don't caucus a crew as to where you'll go any more than you inquire when they'd like to shorten sail.

-Sterling Hayden

And, on a different note, one of my favorite quotes:

He who goes to sea for pleasure would go to Hell for a pastime.

-Samuel Johnson

However baby man may brag of his science and skill, and however much, in a flattering future, that science and skill may augment; yet for ever and for ever, to the crack of doom, the sea will insult and murder him, and pulverize the stateliest, stiffest frigate he can make.

-Herman Melville

Rumors of my death were right on the money.