More info on the HMCA, including recent seminars can be found at:

www.HistoricalMaritimeCombat.com

:ph34r:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

What about knives? In Robert L. Stevenson's Treasure Island, it was specifically mentioned several times of a buccaneer weilding a "dirk" which seemed to describe a double edged dagger. Also, there were folding knives in use at that time. It is possible that they were used only as tools and not as weapons, but is there evidence that they were? A bit to the side from this site's subject matter (HCMAs), do you know of specific exotic weapons that existed during the GAoP that are not generally thought of as pirate weapons? For example, the kukhri knife of the Ghurka fighters in India.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

A bit to the side from this site's subject matter (HCMAs), do you know of specific exotic weapons that existed during the GAoP that are not generally thought of as pirate weapons? For example, the kukhri knife of the Ghurka fighters in India.

Exploring trade routes at different points in history will tell you a lot about what weapons could have found their way into European sailors' hands. You also have to look at the meaning of that weapon within the particular society. Was it an every day tool they all had, or was it a badge of honor given to a select few who never would have parted with it?

At a stretch you can make nearly everything work; it just depends how much historical correctness you want to sacrifice to have your knife of choice.

For instance, the basic design of the kukhri has been around since the greek period and is also reflected in the falcata among other weapons. The earliest date of a kukhri in the form we know now was 1627 in Nepal.

Now, we know by the late 1600s the buccaneers were in the Phillippines and the China seas. The weapons could have found their way along these trade routes into the hands of Europeans. Next you need to examine these routes to find any form of documentation. Even one account is enough to validate your theory, even if you have to accept that it might be a rare ocurrance.

Then, it you want to go the extra step, try to find the exact grip of the earlier ones, as that is also an indicator of the period in which it was being traded.

Similar problem with the Katar and Pata. As far as I know these were Sikh weapons and never seen outside the region until the late 1800s.

As for any other knives, the same thing applies; if there was heavy contact and trade with a particular society or country, there's a good possibility these knives would show up among the buccaneers.

Documentation always helps, but sometimes reasonable theory works too.....(I figure that'll raise a whole new argument....). Not everybody wrote everything down.

:ph34r:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."