St Louis Pirate Festival

LadyBarbossa

Noticed this via the Piracy Ring.

Take a look all here in the Midwest.

St Louis Pirate Festival

Saturdays and Sundays, September 16 through 24, 2006

I know a couple here on the Pub are closer than I.. since St Louis is nigh 6 hours from me.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Hoping to have more detail before then...

.. But it will be the weekend of my son's birthday. He has already selected the festival for his birthday activity.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I see that Bounding Main will be there. I wish I had better information on what to expect. I cannot imagine it will equal Port Washington, but here's hoping...

There remains a strong probability that I will be there the weekend of September 16... we shall see.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

if its in the same spot as the renfaire, its in a pretty shaded hollow, with a good sized creek in it. I've heard some things about it, mostly good, but never there myself.

Look for wentzville ren faire for pics.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

From what I've heard it will be held in Rotary Park, the same location as the Greater St. Louis Renaissance Faire. And the gent in charge is the same gent in charge of said ren faire. Pretty location and the faire had already put in a pirate quarter replete with a ship stage (can't remember now if it's 2 or 3 masted).

Sadly, the dates they have chosen pits this first year festival against KCRF in Bonner Springs, Ks. Gonna be a tough choice - a festival celebrating their 30th anniversary or a brand new pirate festival.

For those of you planning on going, do tell the rest of us all about it, please???? Some of us are working KCRF the entire run and won't be able to go.

Fair Winds

Capt'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

• 3 weeks later...

I think this topic needs to be kicked to the forefront <kick!>

I know Bounding Main will only be there for the second weekend of the event. The same falls for me as the first weekend clashes with my Talk Like a Pirate Day party.

Anyone else planning on attending on the 23-24th?

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I know Bounding Main will only be there for the second weekend of the event. The same falls for me as the first weekend clashes with my Talk Like a Pirate Day party.

Anyone else planning on attending on the 23-24th?

.... and how does one get invited to your TLAP party? It matters not, for I will be in the St. Louis area one way or the other the weekend of Sept 16-17.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Still tentatively planning on this event. However, since the entire family is involved, the helm is not entirely under my control, so we shall see...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

.... and how does one get invited to your TLAP party? It matters not, for I will be in the St. Louis area one way or the other the weekend of Sept 16-17.

Mainly Petey, ya gotta be more or less local (and just a tad loco.) You'd be more than welcome if you were in the area. It's a sizeable shin-dig (70+ pirates), but not quite the sort of thing I'd recommend driving more than 2 hours for :lol:

Reserved my hotel for the second weekend of the St. Louis Festival. Hope to see some of you there! And if I don't, I'll just have to make some NEW friends :lol:

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Aw, you should already know I am more than just a tad loco.

And a two-hour drive is nothing to hang out with 70+ pirates.

But I will be making teh SIX-hour drive to pick up my kids and hitting the St. Louis Fstival. So I will not in any way be "local." I hope you and yours have a great time.

We will miss each other by a week.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

It appears no one else has confirmed attending this festival tomorrow (Saturday, September 16), alas. Should anyone from the Pub decide to attend tomorrow (not next weekend with Bilgemunkey and his new friends), please say something so we we can look for each other -- although we will be leaving at the crack of dawn for the cross-state drive.

Now it looks like it will just be me, my wife, and my pirate-enthusiast son. (The girls have schedule conflicts). I expect to take some photos -- which I will post here.

ATTENTION: anyone who plans on attending this festival (even the estranged Bilgemunkey): There is a $2 off admission coupon available on the event's website.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Have returned. Now let's see if I can do any justice to this thread.

First, this event has a long way to go. I see its potential, but it is not there yet. I had a good time. But if I drove, oh, let's say SIX hours to get there, I would be mightily pissed. And I did drive that far, but there were ulterior motives for the trip, not just the Festival.

Bilgemunkey, you better have a better reason for making this drive. If you are meeting a group of other pirates to hang around with and party (you all -- all of you -- stood me up), this would be an excellent venue -- but that's because you would be bringing the party with you.

The acts were good. The area (a regular Renaissance Faire grounds) was okay -- although this clearly needs some improvement. However, the Pirate stuff was few and far between. it was stretched much too far across the grounds, and there were large areas with absolutley nothing going on.

We were there Saturday. I went with my son, William the Bloody from this Pub -- it was his 15th birthday. He wore only his pirate coat over a "BAM" t-shirt and jeans. Partly in the spirit, but enough out to be able to say he was not playing along. My wife was civilian all the way (but looked hot as usual and got totally hit on by one of the vendors, who tried bartering with me for her... and I'm not sure he was in character).

Of course, I went dressed to the hilt -- hook included.

The consensus was that there was not enough going on. At Bristol, you could stand in one place while characters, performers, and in essence the whole Faire seemed to come find you. Here, you really had to go look to find some way to be entertained. While the grounds were rather small (it took us only an hour to see everything except the individual performances) it was sparsely populated.

I feel it could be improved by more performers, with more "bits" going on. There were unoccupied buildings and structures that could have "housed" a static bit of entertainment, or a string quarter (for instnace), or a string of people making speeches or even just reading poetry.

My son summed it up well. He said that it was great for little kids. There was just enough "pirate fantasy" going on for little kids to get excited... and there were a LOT of excited little kids. But there was not enough going on for the older folk.

There was a theatrical story plot running through the day, but we did not witness any aspect of it... although we were not actually seeking it out. We encountered the Governor once, and I feel he did not try to act very pompous or important (= "entertaining") ... of course, he may have been tired.

Having said all that, I enjoyed myself. But then, I always do. Of course, there were few people dressed as fancy a pirate as I (and, let me tell you: they were very impressive!), and most of the kids reacted as if I were part of the show (a few asked me to stamp their form -- there was a scavager hunt to get these from character pirates, and I had to admit I was a guest like they were), and I played right back.

If I had been unaccompanied, I would have liked to hang out at the pub and knocked back a few with Captain Morgan and the crowd, which would have been a lot of fun.

It was okay.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

More to say...

I didn't get many pictiures, but I will post a few as soon as I can.

I succeeded in embarrassing my son by announcing it was his birthday when the magician Thom Bedlam asked for volunteers. He got a sword thrust through his throat, and had his hand sliced off. Clearly, this made his day...he had finally become bored to death, and this refreshed his interest for a little while.

I wished I had been able to catch a performance of Axel the Sot, but I was finally dragging my family around with me, and we had to go. There is only so much I can make then do.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... plenty of time for Bilgemunkey to collect his thoughts and say a thing or two about this event...

Bilge, did ye go? Got anything to add? I'd be interested in hearing what you thought.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

This was a great event for us, Pete! Granted, the second weekend didn't have nearly as lousy weather as the first weekend had, but "enough to do" is relative. There was not enough time for us to catch up with all of our friends or interact with all of the cast or visit all of the great vendors that attended the show. In fact, business was SO brisk on the last day that management decided to hold the event for three weekends in 2007!

It was just wonderful to meet new friends at our shows this year (many of whom have made their way to "Friends" on MySpace . . .). Sales of our new CD was brisk and we made a point of mixing with all of our fellow performers (such as time allowed).

This event has long legs and I encourage everyone that reads this board to support it in 2007.

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

The place needed more rabble-rousing. Let's put this one on the calendar, and try to breathe more life into it..

Indeed! Perhaps what the Pirate Festival was lacking was...pirates! We can fix that!

By the way, the group "3 Pints Gone" who appeared at SLPF, just performed last weekend at Big Island Rendezvous in Minnesota and we thought they were excellent!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...