The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Roberts hearing no dissent from anyone, was surprised t' hear nothin from The Cat.. He looked in her direction not realizing she hadn't heard Jacky's assignments.

She simply looked back at him, shrugged noncomittaly and went back to her pocket searchin. He stood there for a moment. Well he didn't own her, she owed him nuthin, but she'd be out of the protection of both he and Captain Tar.. He didn't know much about Ransom as she had stayed a bit distant. He supposed out of distrust.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt my hackles rise as Jacky assigned ships and berths. So, Jane would share his cabin, eh. Fine. Big ol' brig, with hammock space gallore, but she has to bunk with him? Did he think I was stupid?

I'd had about enough of this for one night. "Well, seeing as how all the...crew assignments have been decided, I think I'll head back into the Pub for a nightcap." I turned to Jacky. "But I'll let you, Commodore, tell Silkie you've decided to let her come with us, and which ship she's to sail on."

With an oath, I turned and opened the door to the Pub, then slammed it closed behind me. Feeling like I wanted to strangle someone, I ordered a shot of rum, knocked it back in one gulp, then ordered another.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Red Cat finally locating the item she'd been searching for, considered the sudden volatility of the moment.. First Roberts was lookin at her funny, then Ransom up an stormed back inta th pub slammin th door till it near came off it's hinges. She walked over t' where Jacky was leaning, looking toward the pub, just the hint of a smile tugging at his lips. He passed her the rum bottle, and she took a long drink. Pausing a moment, her eyes still on the door, she said "Oi, now wot was all that about?"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Aye, first order given wit' aplomb, now fer the second, I turned t' Red Cat, "I would like ye t' go back into the pub an tell Silkie, I'd like her t' remain here until we return from our voyage. Then advise Ransom that I've revised the crew assignments, an wit' her approval Jane will be assigned t' the Rakehell." I paused, an said, "Aye, that's an order!"

I turned t' Roberts, "Sir ye are wit' me, let's find ye a birth aboard the Relentless."

Red Cat watched the two men walk away towards the docks. They had the easy part. "Ahhyee.. ." she said slowly to no one, The Cat stood there swayin a bit. ::good..already gettin me sea legs back:: she thought.

"offff ye gow now.." She waved the bottle towards their shrinking silouhettes "Leave it t' thaaa ol' Cat eh?" Red Cat brought the bottle to her lips, drained the rest of it's contents and took a last look over her shoulder towards the docks. "Bloody men.." She mutered. She flung the now empty bottle, straightened her coat collar and headed into th pub after Jane an Silkie.

Roberts followed me, but I could see out o' the corner of me eye, he was glancin' back t' see if Red Cat were followin'. I said to him, "Not t' worry Ransom's fury will be at me, not Red Cat." I turned an looked him in the eye, "Do I hav t' order ye t' quit lookin' fer her?" He shook his head, no. "Good! Then on t' the Relentless."

Aye, Ransom had obeyed my orders (I might hav t' replace the pub front door), would Red Cat?

Jane's good mood evaporated like morning fog as Jacky made his crew announcement. Why did he want Red Cat & Roberts separated? Since when was Silkie included in the crew, they hadn't even discussed that yet? Why would she need to bunk in the captain's cabin when any dry corner would do just fine? His plan seemed to create more problems than it solved. The pale brow furrowed, trying to untangle the sudden knot that Mr Tar had created. None of his plan seemed right to her.

Jane cringed as Ransom stormed off, shaking the entire wall of the pub as she slammed through the door. Almost the minute she was out of sight Jacky turned to Red Cat & rescinded his previous arrangements. He even ended the brief conversation with "an order". It was then that Jane realized it hadn't been about the ship assignment at all, but about leadership. Her jaw dropped slightly as she looked about in utter awe before breaking into a deep laugh.

"Twas a test! Damn me!" her hand slammed on her knee, shoulders still shaking with laugher.

Jane couldn't help but admire their new leader for his cleverness. Inwardly though she resolved to keep a closer eye on him, just in case he tried to pull another test over their eyes.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

She turned to the voice and a devilish grin was flashed at the person standing by her elbow when the door opened abruptly and slammed shut shaking the timbers of the pub. False Ransom knew how to make an enterance!

As Silkie turned back to speak the stranger was gone. Silkie scanned the crowded pub with no success.

She sat again. Watched as Captain Ransom headed directly to the bar, not their table, downed a shot and ordered another.

Things didn't look good.

Roberts would have told Jacky ta "shove off" but he was still struck by Red Cat's indiffference to their separated assignments.

He began to wonder. She would be sailin with Ransom, who he knew little of, except that she seemed wary of him, occasionally at odds with Jacky an had a hellcat temper. His pride wounded, he figured he'd go along t' find a bunk and think it over. Roberts really had no quarrel sailing wit Captain Tar. He looked forward to being out on the sea again. Life there was easier to understand. But in light of recent events, he resolved to talk to Red Cat in private before they left. They were close, had been closer..and he needed some answers.

We board the Relentless, Roberts an I, where we were met by Stones. Roberts tried t' stand a little taller, but t' no avail, fer Stones were a head taller than either o' us.

Dillard was on deck, an I asked him t' show Roberts, below. I turned t' Roberts, "Acquaint yer self wit' the ship Roberts, it'll be yer home fer a while."

I went down t' the galley, t' see Spoons, an inquire about provisions.

Mister Tar had entered the galley, as I was preparing the mid-day meal. He asked about provisions, but I knew he had other things on his mind.

"So where have you been, the last couple of days? When Dillard returned, and you hadn't, I was ready to send Stones looking for you." He laughed, and retold the tale about Red Cat's brush with bounty hunters, and the new quest for the lost treasure fleet. He mentioned our new ship guest, and the trial he'd just used on Ransom, at that I remarked, "Het is uw begrafenis!"

"I have a mid-day meal to prepare, you'll find the books in your quarters."

Red Cat walked into th' pub less ceremoniously but no less ill tempered than Ransom.

She spied th' gerl at th' bar.... alone with her ire n drink. Ransom looked briefly at her and then turned away.

Spyin Silkie across th room, Red Cat decided t' let that task wait, as there were more n one suitor at her elbow and the lass seemed t be enjoyin herself. Let er have her fun Cat thought ..fore I ruin er evenin.

She returned her attention t' Ransom. This would take some doin, but if they were t' sail on th Rakehell, they needed t' set matters straight.

The men had squared themselves away and so the women had to resolve this conondrum. Now if possible.

Red Cat walked to th' bar callin t' Ray fer drink. "Ray! If ye please, F' the Captain here n meself. Oh.. an send another to th green eyed courtesean at the table thar." She approached Ransom and sat heavily, her coat trailin over the back o the stool and placed both elbows on th bar. Reachin to her left she adjusted her cutlass. It poked her side, which tho healed of wound, was still a bit sore. The Cat dug in a pocket an tossed several coins on the bar "an when they be dry lad.... refill em"

Roberts took note of Stones as he followed Captain Tar over the rail, He straightened, raising his height a bit outta habit. But paid the taller sailor little mind. He'd felled bigger men, an lived t' tell about it. The crewmans expression warn't agressive an he had no reason to think there would be a problem. Sandy haired Dillard whom they'd met earlier, came about with a friendly face. Roberts recognized in him the same enthusiasm he'd had at that age. The younger man was clearly eager to be out t' sea. After bein shown to his berth, which was greater in size and comfort than regular crewmen, Roberts began t' feel more respect fer th Captain. He was grateful for th asignment and would be askin leave t' speak t' Red Cat at the next bell. For now he lay in his hammock, tryin to lay out what he'd say t' Red Cat...

She were a mystery fer as long as he'd known 'er. Starting with th circumstances under which they'd met years earlier. She'd confide in him, mayhap further than she would in most, but that wern't very far. She'd seemed so alone in the bed at the Weasel..tho clearly she felt kin with those about her in the drafty room. "Aye, thar be many things unknown about ye Red Cat..many things" he said quietly an closed his eyes t' wait f' the next bell.

When I heard the door to the Pub open and shut, I looked over my shoulder to see who had come in after me. Had it been Jacky, he might have had a tankard thrown at his head. But I saw it was Red Cat, so went back to my rum. I wasn't in the mood for company, even the Cat's.

But she came up and sat on the stool next to me, ordered another round for us and Silkie, then asked that the rounds keep coming. I gave her a look. "So, what hair-brained thing did Jacky ask you to put up with, as you look as fired up as I am? If I'd known he was going to play the "can you take orders?" game, by threatening to have Jane sleep in his cabin, I'd have sailed the Rakehell out of here in a heartbeat. If the blasted man can't trust me by now, then what's the point?"

It suddenly dawned on me that I was raving. With another oath, I shut my gob, and went back to drinking.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Jane knew better than to get in Ransom's way when the woman was fuming. Let Red Cat deal with the red headed captain's fire. Instead of returning to the pub, Jane slipped off to her favorite secret haunt for a drink and a much needed sleep. Come morning there would be endless preparations and plans, until then she intended to enjoy her last free hours on land.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Ransom never failed t' speak her peace bluntly. At least ye knew where ye stood. She was clearly piqued. Red Cat suspected... f'more n one reason. She gave the lass a minute in case she had more t' say, an then took up the invitation to talk.

"Captain Tar..." She said with no lack of sardonic inflection,

"has seen fit t' give orders" she snorted.. Ray placed a fresh tankard down, lookin warily into her eyes as he did so. She felt she always made him a little nervous and gave him a wink. Aye the barkeep understood dangerous women. Smart man.

"Orders!" she said again with incredulity, turning to look Ransom squarely in the face. "Like we be common crew! Now I've no problem wi his makin the decisions, nor wit his holdin the map an all, but he's never spoken t' me in that manner an I'm none too sure I care fer it. " She raised the tankard intent on continuing her state, if not worsening it . " 'E knows I'll do wot e' asks" Cat leaned in closer, glancing back at Silkie who was twirlin her locks in one hand an speakin t' two men ."E wont's me t' tell Silkie t' stay ashore, too many f' this trip. E' also said Jane 'd be comin wi us."

She didn't mention Roberts yet, she couldn't figure why he'd not spoken t' her 'fore he went off wi Jacky Tar.

Silkie talked with little interest to the two lads in front of her glancing repeatedly to the two women at the bar. This didn't bode well for her. Either there had been no decision concerning her or they were avoiding delivering her the decision. Then again, if Ransom was upset could it be that Silkie had been voted on. Silly really to think she was all they had discussed.

Well, better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.

Silkie quaffed the last of her grog excused herself from present company rather abruptly and headed to the bar.

She stepped into the space behind two women. "Ladies?"

At Silkie's approach, my annoyance with Jacky increased. If he had some objection to Silkie joining the adventure, then he should have told her himself, and not dumped it on Red Cat. Humph, I thought, another one of his little tests. I took a swallow of rum, then gave Red Cat a wink.

Turning to Silkie, I smiled and said, "There's been a bit of debate over whether you should come on this trip or stand down until the next one. Red Cat's been told to ask you to stay behind. But," I grinned wider, "if you insist on coming with us, which is fine by me, you'll have to sail on the Relentless, as I've no room on 'my little schooner'. You'll be taking orders from Commodore Tar, until we return to the Pub. So, it's your choice. Stay, or sail on the Relentless."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I left the galley, an went topside. The wind was light, an the tides favored us leavin' the dock.

"Mister Dillard!" I said, "are all crew presently aboard?" He replied, "Aye, sir." Good, then I said, "Lower the starboard long boat, send out a light anchor, an prepare t' kedge." We'll start our warp now, I thought. "Mister Dillard, assign yer topsail man, an let's prepare t' cast off"

The boat crew were loadin' the light anchor, wit' the kedge line attached. Topman was climbin' t' the top-gallant yard, all hands were on deck.

The boat crew manned the oars, an rowed out t' set the light anchor. I watched the kedge line stretch out across the water. The air was charged, an the men performed well, under Dillard's watchful eye.

After settin' the anchor, castin' off the dock lines, the lads pulled us out into the channel. Once over the anchor, we then struck the topsail t' keep us in place, an hoisted the light anchor.

The evenin' breezes favored us, an we sailed t' better anchorage.

Jane was about to slip quietly down a side alley when she noticed a spark of white against the dim night sky. Feet quickened down the docks until she was sure of what she saw, the Relentless, setting sail on the slight evening breeze.

"Damn me!" The girl swore, spinning on a heel.

If Ransom was angry with Mr. Tar for his attempted "orders", there was no telling what she'd think knowing he was sailing without them. In short order Jane reached the Pub, rushing up to the three women gathered at the bar. She stood half behind Red Cat, hoping the other's quick reflexes to prevent the other captain from making any rash moves.

"Yer not gonta like this un." Jane started, her breath huffing from the run. Three pairs of eyes swiveled around to regard the girl. "I jest saw tha Relentless setting a fair amount o sail. She looks ta be headin fer open water."

Silkie stood silent for a moment. What ever had possessed her to try and join this team seemed to elude her for a moment. She needed to leave the land to ride the waves again, that’s what. The man who at first welcomed her in her enthusiasm now wanted her to stay behind? Fine then, she’ll stay. But she wanted an explanation.

Captain Ransom," she waited to be acknoledged "I will indeed address Captain Tar as soon as I can find him. Would you kindly take me to the relentless?" She looked at False Ransom directly and did not blink at the smoldering embers behind the womans eyes.

Red Cat had opened her mouth t' say summin when Jane burst in wild eyed and puffin, claimin the Relentless had sailed.

The Cat steeled herself f' what may come next. False Ransom was already strainin at the edges, an Silkie had just been dealt her hand by Ransom in Cat's stead.

She rose from her seat an Jane tucked further behind 'er as Captain Ransom's blood began t' boil. Red Cat couldn't recall ever seein the lass so enraged.

"Ransom!" She said sharply. "We hasn't made r' final arrangements f' course n' defense yet. If he sailed, it would have to have been to deeper water in preparation." Ransom just stood like a statue, fists clenched an her eyes were like fire. Red Cat continued "We need t' take th Rakehell out NOW!

An I s'ppose a longboat or jollywatt will be in order.." She paused a moment an took Ransom by th shoulders. "That is if ye think ye kin keep from lungin o'er the rail th minute we git thar..."Hoping to quell some of the woman's temper and hasten her at the same time she added "Ye know he's testin us, now ye wouldn't want t' give in by showin up and screamin wi' out at least makin a plan fer wot yer sayin....aye?"

Ransom stopped a moment and seemed to consider The Cat's words.

Red Cat had her own unrevealed agenda..Roberts.....

Roberts woke as his hammock swung wider, signaling the movement of the ship.

Accustomed to the feeling, he sat up and rubbed his forhead feeling the still recent stitches there...Red Cat! He near fell out of his bunk and headed down the main companionway to the waist pulling his shoes on along the way. He had no idea how long he'd slept...only meant to rest his bones for a moment. As he came above decks, he could tell from the light that he'd been out for hours. Cursing, he stood and looked around realizing they'd weighed anchor out from the docks. He'd no one to balme but himself.

Roberts stood there with the cool breeze refreshing his senses and considered mayhap 'twas better they didn't speak so soon. He still stung from her actions at the Inn and then still thought she'd shrugged off their sailing separately.

But he wanted to speak to her...Roberts set his hat right and started out to look fer the Captain.

After the red haze of fury had thinned a bit, my brain started working. "Now wait just a blasted minute! Think, you lot. He's got no supplies, no water, and one ship. Yeah, he's got Roberts with him, and his crew, but a few men sloggin' around on the Tortugas aren't going to find much. And he's got no one to watch his back. AND, he knows damned well that if he DID hare off without us, he'd be good as dead the minute he showed his betrayin' head again back at the Pub."

I took a deep breath. "So, before we all act like bees whose hive has just been struck, let's go down to the dock and see if he's truly gone, or just pulled the Relentless further out in the bay. If he's there, then Silkie can hire a bum-boat to take her out to Commodor Tar's ship. If the Relentless is gone to sea, well then...if he's gone, then the Spanish are going to be the least of his problems. But, the truth of it is, the Rakehell can't go chasing after him with no supplies and no water stores."

I knocked down the last of my rum and headed for the door, mumbling under my breath, "You better be in the bay, Jacky boy, or there's going to be hell to pay."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Red Cat, Jane and Silkie exchanged looks and headed after Captain Ransom acrost th' pub an down t' th docks. Silkie looked about t' see what mode of transport she may consider, if she decided t' go.

The Cat stepped lively t' catch up wi Ransom's brisk and determined stride. Reachin the taller woman's shoulder, unsure if she'd intended them t' follow, she said "Ye know wot he spake of...th treasure n all..wall I figure even divided amongst us is a tidy fortune. I fer one, am fer goin after wot his men already know of by now..." she thought a moment "And who knows how many others?" Treading lightly on Ransom's continued silence..she knew the lass was listenin despite th set of her countenance... "Ransom, I needs t' get t' the Relentless 'fore she sets sail anyhow. I've summat t' say t that big scurvy oaf. The scallywag jest lights out fer rum n fortune wi nonesuch as a ward t meself! If he plans t' first mate on the ship Red Cat agin, he's sum explainin t' do" Jane and Silkie followed close behind as the two pirate lass continued in matched stride towards the docks where the Relentless stood no longer at anchor.