The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Red Cat could feel Roberts bristle next t' her as the silence hung in the air thick as fog... She feared his quick temper at such times. It took just the right thing t' bring it out in him, tho t'was not often. She sat there wit her mouth set, absobin all th questions flung about.

"Jon..." she said softly.. not takin her eyes from the others. She knew it would be all it took to keep him in check, at least fer the moment.

Used t' playin close t' the vest on certain issues, she felt the sting of the sudden inquest, though it may be justified...mayhaps.

The Cat broke the silence slamming both palms down on the table, bein the one t' make the silver jump this time.

"Now wait jest a bloody minute!" I be a pirate ...like the rest o ye lot! " Yer askin me if I got secrets? Did I ask ye t' come after me t' other night? (Of course she was glad they did and knew she had wished for them in her moment of need..but she was arguing now)

Red Cat looked across th table at the faces turned in her direction and tried to gather what she would say. But she fair just sputtered and grumbled a moment. Regaining her composure a bit she tossed back the rest o her drink and leveled squinted eyes at the rest. "I'll tell ye wot..there be far too many.." She looked about th pub where a few patrons had turned towards the small band of pirates. "ears about here." She finished. "If ye want t' be discussin such things, I suggest we take this outside where we kin be more private" She gave Roberts a shove and stood to go outside. The rest seeming to be agreeable at least with this idea followed into the cool night. Settling on some barrels an a bench outside the corner o the pub.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turned an asked Silkie t' remain in the pub, an turned t' join the others outside.

I thought I'd been a bit harsh t' the Cat, an Roberts. The caper from the night 'fore this, had left me wit' more questions than answers. I knew if I let Ransom grill her, we might hav open warfare, an I could not side wit' either; fer taken sides would only lose me one side or the other.

Once outside, I said, "Fore this friendly discussion, becomes intractable an a bitter feud, I wish t' withdraw me earlier remark 'bout Roberts loyalty t' Red Cat. Ye hav history. Roberts as much said he'd sailed under Red Cat's command." I saw Roberts relax a bit.

I turned t' Red Cat, "The issue is this, can ye serve under some else's command?" I hoped she could, but she'd been doin' things her own way, fer so long. "I would rather part ways now, than hav yer actions put anyone here in peril, if we make this journey." I turned t' Roberts, "The same question t' ye sir, after Red Cat has had a chance t' answer."

Jane slipped out into the cool night air along with her companions, hanging back just long enough to be the last out of the pub. While the others gathered close together around a collection of battered barrels, she hung in the shadows. Mr. Tar was playing the diplomat again, attempting to smooth Ransom’s feathers without ruffling Red Cat’s. Jane found the entire thing rather amusing, having never fully understood either woman’s quick temper. She had known that there would be conflict, though this was sooner than she had expected. Part of her mind told her to keep quiet, while the other half saw a rare opportunity to voice her thoughts without repercussions. Jacky finished his questions briskly, turning expectantly for the answers, only to be cut short by Jane’s clear but quiet voice.

“N ye Mr. Tar. Ken ye say tha same? Seems ta me yer tha one holdin all tha cards ‘ere.” Thin arms folded across her chest, hand tucking into the opposite sleeves of her dress against the cold breeze. She stepped out of the darkness into the flickering moonlight that surrounded the gathering.

“Ye’ve talked wif tha Dutchman was it? N ye ‘ad tha bottle stashed somewhere around. Ye know where we’re ta be sailing n yer tha one offerin up tha ship. After all tha ken ye say ye’d ‘ave no trouble sailing under someun elses flag?” Jane raised a thin brow to the older man. One hand extracted itself from the warm wool, palm out flat, halting Jacky’s answer, the startled expression on his tanned face more than enough. “Please sir, jest think on it.”

“Tha only leaves tha Cat.” Green site shifted to Red Cat. From the corner of her eyes Jane could see Robert’s tense again. She’d seen him angry once before, a site that she had no desire to see again. Despite the nervous pounding in her chest, Jane focused on the other woman, ignoring the large man looming at her side. “Best I ken see, we don need ta know all o it. Jest enough ta know tha there isn’t gon ta be someun commin after ye n getting a bonus wif us too. Aye?”

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Red Cat had walked them all out of the pub partly to cool her own hot temper which had been shortened by recent events, the adrenalin still runnin in her veins. Partially ta cool th rest off as well. S'pecially Roberts. The breif walk seemed to have dispelled some o the tension.

She kicked a barrel r' two and findin one she were happy wit, hopped upon it an drew one knee up leanin her elbow acrost it. Swingin th other foot a bit. Her other hand gripped a rum bottle she'd taken along.

She looked t' Roberts who settled nearby settin on a keg o his own.

One by one they sat.

The night air, slightly damp with the salty fog o the nearby ocean cooled Roberts head as he walked out n settled himslf near th others. He glanced at his friend as if t' say why're we still about? Red Cat shot him a warnin look, took a goodly pull, n passed him the bottle.

He laughed a moment, the merry glint returnin t his eyes, n' a bit o gold showin in his smile, before his face turned serious agin.

Aye, she new 'im well. The Cat usually knew how t 'calm his mood when he'd rather act then talk, r' jest take 'is leave an be done wit it.

He took a goode taste himself n passed the rum along wit out a word.

As he handed th bottle, Roberts considered Jane, who had just steped from the shadows, all toughness n questions despite her more fragile appearance compared t' th others. He considered that tho she may have heard n seen some in the past, she'd likely know much less than he did about his dealings, or her late husbands. He'd always suspected that if she knew everything she'd have left th bastard long before he'd knocked her about.

Then again, if he spoke up, it would be his words and more in his control.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Red Cat looked about at the others, who had done so much f' her in the past two days. Jacky looked a bit uncomfortable, Roberts sat quietly, Ransom had an expectant expression intent on answers, n Chloe had just chimed in.

Acceptin back th' bottle which had come round again, Red Cat took a drink n' dropped it t' her lap not ready t' give up th amber liquid just yet.. and sigh'd.

She glanced about quickly at all of em in turn, endin up at Jacky, who'd been askin her questions 'fore th others. Red Cat supposed she did owe 'em summin. Now that the deal was complete, t'warnt much harm if they knew. If word got out, she'd know where it come from.

"Well y'see.. thar was th matter o me ship..me namesake.. The Red Cat." She looked off in the distance and pride showed in her face. "Aye me ship..she's a beauty. Owe me good fortue t' Roberts here for er." Roberts looked surprised that she would reveal this part of the story, but said nothing. "Well ya see" She continued, bringing her gaze back to th group "Thar were a certain...official..who through scurriolus means, procured papers of heavy tarriff n port fees against me ship and planned t' take it...I'll wager he had summin t' do wi old Silas knowin I be here . I figger he was waitin fer him t' have me in irons or worse before takin such a chance." Her face grew dark and she absently caressed the hilt of her cutlass. "Well this..man frequents one Marcy Darc..er.. Fyne at the Fancy Parrot n she helped me obtain the papers." Red Cat laughed remembering the snorting and the laugh she an her friend had shared, her face changing in a moment. "Helped herself to his lot o coin as well! ...Those were the papers I carried that night Jacky." She paused "The only copy. Signed and carryin an official seal." She looked at the others who sat in silence, taking a generous pull on the rum, she said "An tha ship...has sailed"

Breaking into a wide grin Roberts said "Aye, that she has..careened in a few days time I'd imagine" He recieved a hearty "Aye!" from the Cat.

The mast he had looked for above the hidden cove, only it's top visible from the docks if one really looked sharply, had been gone. He'd not been sure where, it if wern't for the signal from ol one legged tom. Which had confirmed the ship had been spirited out and was on it's way to a small unknown island in the SouthEastern Caribbean to be careened with her crew an wait f' their Captain. Who sometimes took time off. Leaving the ship to her able first mate and the pirate crew to their camp there.

Jane's words rang in me ears, "... yer tha one holdin all tha cards ‘ere." Aye, lass an most o' the decks, I thought. But t' answer, "I served 'fore the mast, under the Union flag, an followed orders that I didn't always agree wit'. Mayhaps that could be the case here as well."

I reached into a pocket o' me coat an pulled out an old leather parchment, an held it out t' the group. "This is a map of where the ships may lie, time an currents, may hav changed their exact locations. But I'll wager this be close." All eyes focused on the parchment, an I said, "Wher I'm chosen captain, or not, I offer this map t' this crew an quest."

Red Cat's confession as to what the papers she'd burned were all about solved one of the mysteries, but Jane had a point. Jacky, who'd brought up the idea of this trip to the Dry Tortugas, hadn't been totally forthcoming with information either - other than the Dutchman's tale.

I leaned against the wall of the Pub, listening to the talk and trying to make up my mind whether to brave the odds or to go off on my own and do a bit of smuggling to earn some shiny.

Then Jacky pulled out the map, and we all peered at it with curiosity. It looked authentic, but faked treasure maps were more common than real ones. However, if it were a location map, drawn up by the Spanish so they could go back and attempt to salvage the sunken gold, then that was a different matter.

I turned to Jacky. "What's the history of this map?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Content with the answer supplied by the others, Jane began to relax. She pulled her hands from her sleeves, casually resting them on a barrel behind her. Deep down she hoped she hadn't insulted Jacky with her skepticism. She knew it was better to have the answers than the lingering doubts, yet she also didn't want to cause undue strain on their tentative friendship. As their eyes met across the gathered circle he nodded, the subtle move confirmation that her speaking out had been the right choice. With that, the last trace of trepidation evaporated. At that moment Jane knew she'd join the adventure, no matter how the plans panned out.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Red Cat had turned n leaned her back against Roberts bulk next t' her. She was imagining the headache the man who'd been after her ship must have had, in addition to finding his ill gotten papers and his coin both gone. Should've taken 'is pant as well she though smiling.

Drawing herself out of her indulgence, Red Cat addressed the group again. "Well the subject o captain, I still leave t'ye. Two ships might save tha argument" She looked at Jacky n Ransom "N seein the way ye two argue... mayhaps it's a goode idea." She laughed seeing both truth n humor in her words. Jane smiled and even Roberts had t' laugh. "Now this map here Jacky, how ye know it t' be authentic? n' if we be on th subject, wot happened to th last people who went lookin fer such treasure? We must know wot we face afore we risk ourselves fer th take. I mean ye spoke of th Legartos n the Spanish..but I believe there was more?" Seems mayhap it's yer turn fer answerin. She gave him a delicious smile filled with mischief at turnin the tide..."i'll tell ye more...but first ye must provide us wi some proof this map be real" Red Cat threw him a wink and settled back agin t' see wot happened...

I gave Jacky a wicked grin. "Yes, Mr. Tar, fill us in on a few more details, if you'd be so kind."

My relationship with Jacky was a close one, and he knew I enjoyed playing the devil's advocate. But I also know a woman in my line of work didn't last too long without being careful. And I was always very careful.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Roberts was glad at the direction the conversation was taking. For it was away from him. If they warn't askin, he warn't offerin.

He wished no ill to Mr. Tar, an figured that if the Captain was willin t' throw in his own lot, as well as his ship that there must be some truth to his story. He'd seen the man fight, protect n provide fer the small group over the last two days an didn't believe him to be th type t' mislead em.

'Course caution told him he didn't really know the man, and some used honey t' bring others to th slaughter. But as Captain Tar an these women seemed t' have a history he though there was no more trickery than mayhaps t' convince em t' go along. He resolved to wait an see what the outcome be. Seekin out th bottle o rum which had made it's way about th small circle agin, he found The Cat held onto it like a prize. "Oi now, give ere gerl, ye wouldn't want ol Roberts ta do wi' out now would ye?" She shot him another look an passed the rum along..

"I believe the map is genuine, an bears the signature o' one Gaspar De Vargas. I paid enough in Havana fer it, so it better be." I paused took the bottle o' rum from Roberts, t' wet me whistle.

A little history be in order I thought, 'though I didn't think it would help, "The 1622 Tierra Firme fleet left Havana bound fer Spain, they headed north t' catch the Gulf Stream, an headed straight fer a hurricane. Five ships were sunk south o' Florida, which include the Atocha. The Spanish later found the Santa Margarita, sister ship t' the Atocha, an spent four years salvagin' her."

"The Dutchman was part o' a Dutch raidin' party sent t' attack Melian's group that was tryin' t' recover the cargo o' the Santa Margarita. That raid took place in 1626, an the Dutchman's ship was attacked by the Spanish, an later sunk off the coast o' Florida in a storm."

"I later found the Dutchman adrift, off the coast o' Florida, in 1702! Ye can see where this tale gets a bit thin." I took another swig o' the rum, t' see if it would help, sadly it didn't. "The Dutchman looked t' be in his late forties when I found him! But his story and dates o' the events surroundin' the wreck, were correct."

I figured the time for questioning and thinking was over. If I was going to offer the Rakehell and myself to this venture, then now was the time.

I smiled at Jacky. "Okay,luv, you've sold me. I'll sail the Rakehell with the Relentless. As we've already figured, two ships are better than one. Our next task is supplies, and supplies take money. Anyone got a nice little stash hidden away for a rainy day?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Red Cat thought on the tidy sum that'd recently weighed her hand. She was still glad she'd given it to Miss Fyne. There was more, but most of it was on the ship Red Cat. Which was by now quite far to the South.

"I've a bit stashed away in a chest fer just such ..ventures.. a bit o plunder that may fetch a price along th way, and some spare sail." Red Cat lived modestly when on land, but she kept a purse for necessities should they arise. "I'm willin t' invest fer the returns seem worthy. She wondered what the others may have hidden away.

Thin fingers dug around anxiously in between the folds of her skirt as Jane rummaged for the recently received bounty. Closing her hand around the pouch she pulled it out with a grin. She tossed it lightly in the air, catching the small leather sack again with a noticeable jingle. A soft peel of laughter escaped her lips at the sheer luck of it all.

"I got enough ta make a gerl believe lucks on 'er side. Kent say as 'ow much is in 'ere but tis all yellow n shiny. From an anonymous benefactor, fer tha luck o tha crewe" Jane smiled, a genuine smile of enjoyment at the current turn of events and the potential for the future.

Everyone offered somethin', an some gave all they had. Wit' ships, crew an some money we could soon get underway. I explained I could make this a workin' voyage, too. I had rum t' run. I even had the jolly boat.

We still needed t' elect a leader, an I thought everyone had forgotten 'bout Silkie, whom was still sittin' in the pub. "I offer me services t' captain this leg o' the journey." I looked round me t' see, if I had any challengers.

Silkie sat inside the pub, the air, warm and heavy, lulled her into a comfortable lethargic mood. She needed sleep; she found rest far too seldom these days. What she needed was a change of scenery and a bit of adventure. She could not stay in one place for long, the tide called her. The sea was a part of the lass and she, part of the sea. She drank again from her grog her eyes slowly fluttered close. To be working again, a new adventure ahead. The corners of her mouth curled up.

Miss McDonough began to wonder about the team that was forming. Would Ransom or Jacky be captain? Would the other be their second? She knew Jenny well enough, smart lass. Thinking on the large man with the blue eyes and dark hair found often at Jenny's elbow, she thought, this Roberts fellow could be a bit of fun also. She had seen Jane in the pub many times but had chatted only in passing, the lass knew how to have a good time but Silkie had not a clue how she was on board or how she would handle herself under pressure. Jane seemed to be intelligent and able enough to hold her own against anyone who may have issue with her. Besides, Silkie couldn't imagine Ransom or Jacky compromising an entire expedition with one who was not suitable.

Her eyes opened wide in a flash of recognition! Good lord! These people don't know me at all! I am the fun loving flirt! Her smile had faded she leaned forward blinking in disbelief staring at the table in front of her. Her impetuous and impulsive reputation could easily be perceived as her Achilles heel! Silkie looked up at the door. What was taking so long? She wanted to join them outside but fought THAT impulse. “Ef dey won’t mae in d’party dey’ll come fer mae.” She swallowed hard, stared at the grog in her tankard, drummed her fingers on the table and waited an eternity before looking to the door again. She needed to be out on the water! Sighing she tried to relax, and began to hum a saucy little tune. It wasn’t working. Still humming and drumming she closed her eyes to the liquid in the bottom of her tankard.

Suddenly she halted becoming aware eyes upon her. Opening her eyes with a start she looked first to the door, no one stood there. She scanned the pub. She was among friends here her back covered from every corner. Her intuition never failed her. She scanned the crowd again. Someone had their eye on her.

“Miss McDonough.” A vague recollection of the heavily accented voice tugged at her memory. She turned slowly and made eye contact.

While provisioning was underway, Roberts thought on the fact that so far thar were wimmin outnumberin men.

Normally he had no quarrel with this calculation..he quite favored it.

He did consider tha it were Captain Tar who had the map, the silver cobs, and the story from the Dutchman. He weren't askin to join them, he were askin them t' join him in this quest. Offerin his ship an crew as well. They seemed t' treat each other mostly equal, so he doubted they'd be scrapin salt off the decks or pumpin th bilge..least not unless they be breached n sinkin fast..

So it seemed natural t' him that Jacky Tar should Captain. However bein new to this small band of thieves he waited his turn. Having sailed for years, Roberts understood the chain o command in such matters.

Roberts had come quietly to Red Cat to discuss some things which had been left before the attack, he also spoke t' her of his opinions on Captains. She listened to all he had to say, t' made a bit o sense the way he put it. She told him she worried about the Spanish and if they'd be heavily gunned enough should a conflict arise, and resolved they should speak about this wi the others. The Cat always preferred a strong start to any conflict at sea.

I grinned as Jane tossed the jingling bag. Well, another problem solved. It was also apparent to me that most were more comfortable with Jacky as leader, and since it was his idea, I wouldn't object. But with two ships, you needed two captains.

I gave Jacky one of my taunting grins - the ones that set his teeth on edge. "I agree, there should be one leader. However, I don't intend to hand over the Rakehell to anyone. But, seeing as how there will be two ships on this grand adventure, and it's your idea, you can call yourself Commodore, or Admiral or whatever you like. I'll take orders from you, until I think you've lost your mind, and then we'll see."

I kept grinning. "Commodor Tar has a nice ring to it, don't you think? Want me to buy you a new hat? A really big one?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Ransom had already thought I'd lost me mind, so I wondered if she'd really take an order from me, she never had in the past. I grinned at Ransom, "Mister Tar will do, luv." Wouldn't take the Rakehell, if she gave it t' me, so I said, "Yer ship is safe from me, but ye might not get the same quarter from the Spanish."

As fer hats, I said, "My hat is fine, thank ye."

First order, establishin' crew assignments. "Jane an Roberts will sail aboard the Relentless. Red Cat an Silkie, if present company accepts her, sail aboard the Rakehell. That ways berths won't be an issue." I watched as Ransom bit her tongue.

Red Cat was picturing Jacky Tar in increasingly larger and garishly plumed hats, but decided she favored the one he wore. She was amusing herself with that thought and searching for something. So she didn't quite pay attention to what the Captain had just said. Cat wondered why Roberts was looking at her that way..

I could see Roberts look o' concern on his face, an I said, "Don't worry man, ye bunk wit' the rest o' me crew, Jane bunks wit' me." Now Jane looked concerned, so I said, "I hav two bunks in me quarters, an I hav an extra sea chest, let me know where t' have Dillard gather yer belongings."