The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Red Cat thought she just may burst, things were goin so well! She'd treasured the bit o Silver Jack'y gifted her with. When she found it missing as she dressed, she was quite sad at it's loss.

Small bits o such plunder were as valuable to the Cat as any big chest o gold if they were attached to a fine memory. Aye, to have th jinglin back, added to other things. She sounded familiar again. Red Cat laughing, thought it ironic that the bell had served the original purpose Jacky'd joked about. It led them to her. She now considered it a lucky talisman and coveted it even more.

"A toast again! To Captain Tar..to allo ye!"She said and the discussion continued ...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roberts despite his uncomfortable feelin about what he'd just seen, couldn't help but smile at the Cats good fortune. As conversations went on about the table, he leaned near to the new lass who'd joined them.."Wot ye think o this..healin water aye?" He inquired. Jane looked his way as he spoke and he gave her a quick wink. He also thought he sensed a glimpse of skepticism in her eyes as well..or mayhaps it was somethin else. He drained his tankard an excused himself ta go n smoke his pipe outside. He'd gotten a little emotional an needed t' collect himself a bit. Plus it was a fine night.. full of promise fer anything..or nothig at all..

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

As Roberts took his leave, Red Cat stretched out an put her feet up where he'd been sitting. It felt good t' move so freely.

She caught the others looking on as he swaggered towards n out the pub door. Rummaging in his pockets as he went.

"T'is just his way" she said. "Man keeps to himself at times n don't allus fancy crowds. Though I'll wager that don't include ye lot"

She looked t' Jacky n Ransom n said," Captains ye both be, but on this lil hunt Jacky be proposin, I'll leave it t' ye t' draw straws on the vessel we sail. n'less ye prefers ta go as a fleet!" Red Cat sat back playin with a dice she had in her pocket absently tossing it from hand t' hand..

I was glad things had gone well, when I knew how badly they could o' gone.

I knew sailin' t' the Dry Tortugas would be the easy part of our next journey.

Weather an timin' had prevented me from confirmin' the wreck sites, in the past. I knew they were waitin' fer us. Mayhaps even pickup some gold an silver there.

Me mind drifted back, an I notice Roberts leave the table wit' pipe in hand. Jane was reflectin' in her mug, I wanted t' ask wot see saw in it, since she gazed in it so often. Silkie had stopped prayin', an was hummin' t' calm her nerves. Ransom piqued herself fer not fallen pray t' fanciful tales; but even she couldn't deny Red Cat's remarkable recovery.

I didn't want t' leave Roberts out, but I said t' present company, "Well, wot do ye all think? Worth pursuin', or sod off?"

It took no promptin fer Red Cat t' raise her tankard and say "Aye!" Nothin felt so good as a new adventure.. Legartos an other surprises notwithstanding. She turned t' Jacky "Ye can likely count ol Roberts in, the scallywag never could resist treasure.." Happy with her decision, she looked at the ohers "Well wot ye say? Dry Tortugas..stands fer turtle..must be a good luck animal somewheres..I'll wager we come back wealthy pirates!"

Wonder filled the lass and curiosity clearly had not killed the cat! She was glad that Jenny was well again. When she first saw the girl laying in the cart she was saddened how weak and pale the usualy vibrant lass was. What adventure they must have had to come out with such a treasure, this healing water.

Silkie would surely have to ask about that adventure soon. For now, she looked to Jacky, "Yer willin t'include mae in dis next quest?"

I thought Ransom was aboard, wit' her it was just a matter o' timin', an a price yet t' be negotiated.

The ever resourceful Jane would stow away, rather than be left behind.

If Red Cat were in, so were Roberts, t' watch over her.

I turned t' Silkie, who had stopped hummin', an I said, "Aye, are ye in lass. Care t' sail off fer adventure, an a chance t' fatten yer purse?"

Roberts had returned from his smoke, and echoed Cat's agreement that he'd sign on to the hunt. Which made tha Cat happy. While the others discussed the idea further.It had been a long day n She settled between her two favorite pirates an took a short Cat nap..dreamin of treasure with a peaceful smile upon her face :blink: zzzzzz

"Now jest wait thar Silkie." Jane's voice was just loud enough to carry over the din of the bustling pub. Pale palm rose to the woman, stopping the others outstretched hand in mid motion. "Tis a lot more involved then jest a 'and shake n we all jump on tha first ship ta reef 'er mainsils."

Jane's green eyes rose from their common place in the depths of her favored mug to regard those around the rough table. She eyed Jacky especially, still skeptical about his tale. The man was a good leader but every good leader is also a bit of a manipulator. That bottle he had produced seemed all too conveniently "in his possession" when they were all gathered, yet when had he been out of their sight long enough to retrieve it? If he had been holding it all along, why did he wait to heal Red Cat unless he was counting on their reaction to tip the scales in his favor.

Once her eyes had traveled the table they dropped again to the dark liquid in the bottom of her mug. Jane waited patiently in the ensuing silence before continuing, the mental list of considerations that had begun forming at the first mention of the Legartos running through her mind.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

She halted her action. Her jaw dropped and her eyes widened as she looked directly at Jacky. What objection did Jane have to Silkie joining them? Perhaps it wasn't her joining them but to wanting an equal share, Silkie was an interloper. They had shared dangers, had developed trust. Silkie had only shared a drink or two, perhaps a celebration.

Locking eyes with Jane her brow furrowed, "Now jus ya wait a moment. Ifin I m t'risk equally I should share in the gains equally!" Her posture straightened and her brow furrowed as she placed her fists on her hips and locked eyes with Jane in defiance.

Johnathan Roberts set his tankard down and watched the exchange. He'd naught been in the company of so many fiery and determined women at one time and was curious how it would turn out. The newcomer called Silkie was obviously known to them, but it seemed Jane was dubious about her signing on so quickly. He wondered if there were some old discord between 'em or if this was simply feminine rivaly. He sat back to watch, throwing Captain Tar a merry eye and attempting to quash a grin.

Jane laughed softly at the woman's outburst. She would have expected no less from the lass, always thinking with her heart and never her head. It was a fine way to live, if you wanted a short life. The bright smile still curved Jane's lips as her green eyes looked directly at Silkie.

"N ye always wear yer stockings outside yer shoes thar Silkie?" Jane joked, waiting just long enough for the others to understand the odd phrase before continuing.

"Thar is a proper order ta plannin this if tis to be not only successful but profitable" Jane paused again, a wave of nausea striking her. How many times had she heard her husband use those exact words? The smile on her thin lips fell away as she glanced at Roberts, seeing the recognition from him as well.

“Tha doesn’t start wif splitting up shares o a treasure we ‘aven’t even located, much less got in our ‘ands. Now, tha first problem, tha way I see it at least, is we’ve got no less than two captain’s among us and jest as many ships.” She raised a brow questioningly, hoping the others would have the foresight to see the advantages and disadvantages of each choice.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

"Well I'm nil so daft t'b' tinkn det's all dear iss!" Silkie rolls her eyes and shakes her head at the thought. "Give me some cradet fer livin all me years." she snorted, "I m simply indicatin m'desire t'join the lot uv ya rater den waste anotter day waitin fer m'ship t'come in. I'd nil sail witout signin agreed upon arrticals. N'I know det officers an such get a larger share. Tis not m'intention t'go chargin inta d'unknown witout a plan lass." Silkie pulls out a chair and sits down as she signals the barkeep for a grog. Leaning back laughing and shaking her head she continues "Well, tis goode t'see det my reputation fer bein impulsive is still in-tact."

Leaning back, she breaths deep and her laughter subsides. Sobering she looks directly into Roberts eyes, a soft smile still on her lips. "Now, who bae dis stranger? A secon capn' wit a secon ship." Her elbow on the table she rests her fingers on her chin and taps her lips with her index finger in thought. "Could bee a boon t'ave em boat" She winks quickly at Jacky and returns her mossy gaze to the stranger.

Roberts blue eyes met with the lass' mossy green ones. Or were they more honey colored? He paused a moment holding her gaze. It was worth takin th time t' find out.

He began to thank his good fortune that he'd found himself among so many firey an....beguilin lady pirates. The large man with thick black hair n blue eyes, who wore his swagger as one would a medal or favorite trinket, silently wondered what he'd done to deserve such fancy.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, which held fast volumes of lore an superstitions, a tiny voice repeated "Bad luck t' have a woman aboard!" He stoically ignored it.

"Well lass," he said "Much as I appreciate yer assumption, I been first mate n Quartermaster, but Captain? Nay. Too much responsibility" He shook his head as he spoke. Roberts didn't mention that he'd sailed under Red Cat two years ago, as he knew she wouldn't Captain this particular trip. Sides she were still asleep anyhow. "Ye be wantin t' address Captain Tar ere or this fyne lady t' across th table" Roberts gestured at Ransom but kept his eyes on Silkie.

Jane was growin' a spine 'fore my very eyes! I best step up an quell the mutiny, that was brewin'. Damn, she had the makings of a fine first mate.

Should I explain, that I had kept that bottle in a sea chest, in the back of the pub. I had learned the hard way, not t' carry such fragile things on my person. Mayhaps later, I thought.

"Jane is right, I misspoke. A captain fer such an undertakin' is elected, an late comers must be recognized by present company. Present company I believe includes, Jane, Ransom, Red Cat, Roberts an me self. Agreed?" Everyone except Silkie, nodded. "Good! the first leg o' this journey is t' the Dry Tortugas. After that anyone wants out, I can arrange it. So, the matter 'fore us now, is should Silkie be allowed t' join us on this first leg o' this journey. All in favor say, Aye."

I'd been sitting back, nursing my ale tankard, listening to the debate. I had no qualms about letting Silkie join the expedition, but the complexities of the whole thing still hadn't been hashed out to my satisfaction. And there was the big question of whose ship or ships would make the trip, and who would sign on to which. All this fussing over a treasure we didn't even have, with only Jacky's word that it existed - not that I thought he was making up the story. Then there was some connection between Jane and Roberts that neither seemed to want to talk about. Add to that the little scuffle on the beach last night, with three dead bodies left for the crabs, and possibly someone after the Cat, and things got even more complicated.

No, I wasn't about to start yelling "Aye" until a few more details were decided. Let the others be rash if they liked, but Spanish gold supposidly just sitting on the bottom waiting for a bunch of pyrates to come and fetch it sounded a bit too easy for my liking. What was the catch? With easy gold, there was always a catch.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Roberts an I had raised our hands, an said our ayes, but Ransom an Jane did not; The Cat was still dozin'. Frustrated, but not ready t' walk, I said, "The ship only gets us t' the wrecks, an keeps the Spanish off our tails. The rest may require some leg work, explorin' an divin'. Everyone can swim, right?"

I paused, Jane's expression showed she hadn't thought 'bout the Spainish, an I said, "Aye, I'll volunteer the Relentless fer this first part o' the voyage, they will drop us near land fall, but then put back out t' sea; I don't want my ship sharin' the fate o' those wrecks. If ye see fit, t' accept me as the leader o' the land operations, I'll take the customary one an a half shares. T' be clear, I share me portion, if there be any wit' the crew o' the Relentless."

I turned t' Ransom, "Yer welcome t' follow in the Rakehell, but both ships will be safer in open ocean."

Red Cat bein much refreshed had woken, feeling a happy glow tucked safely 'tween two such engaging and intrepid pirates.

But she'd kept her eyes shut and enjoyed listening to the conversation about the table. T'was interesting sometimes..just ta listen..rather like readin a book. She stretched, bringing her arms up and luxuriously grabbed a lock of hair to either side of her. "Yawwn!, oops! sorry men" She gave a quick grin and said "Well I'm for it. Whatever ye decide, I'll be along. As long as there be rum an adventure an me mates, I'm happy. What have we t' work out aye? We'll be needin some supplies from here in th pub I 'magine.." "

The Cat were playin' possum, an her 'Aye' made it three t' two. I needed it t' be unanimous, lest there be trouble later wit' dissenters.

"Ransom, if ye'd rather we travel aboard the Rakehell, I think we can reach an accord. I can hav the Relentless nearby, or join us later." I wasn't sure wot she we waitin' fer, I thought mayhaps she was givin' Jane moral support.

Now fer Jane, "Jane, layout yer concerns that we might address 'em. Or argue yer case fer a different course." Her reasonin' is usually sound, I thought. "I too want this t' be a profitable venture, but I know the real cost o' delay." The winds an the weather favor us now.

Silkie stood silent, waiting to hear the aye or nay vote from those who had not voiced it yet. She wanted to apologize to False Ransom for her error in assuming Roberts the second captain but held her tongue, any injury done would have to be addressed later. Her eyes shifted between the three women as she waited but she found her gaze wandering to Roberts. Was he familure to her?

I looked at Jacky in amazement. "You want to drop us all off in strange territory, then have the Relentless stand out to sea, leaving us stranded? I like treasure as much as the next pyrate, but that sounds pretty risky to my way of thinking. If the Spanish - or anyone else, for that matter - do show up, how are we going to escape? Or is the Relentless supposed to draw them off? In either case, we're still stranded. If the Relentless is taken or sunk," I hold up my hand, signaling a glaring Jacky, who looked ready to throw his tankard at me, to wait untill I was finished, "if she were sunk, then how would we get back?"

I knew Jacky was getting exasperated at my nit-picking, but someone had to bring up the downsides of this adventure before we all sailed off to the Tortugas. "I'm willing to sail the Rakehell in tandem with the Relentless, seeing as how two ships are better than one. The Rakehell also has a shallow draft, so might be safer along the reef than a bigger ship."

Then I looked pointedly at Roberts and Jane. "But, there are some crew issues that need addressing. Like, how is it you two know each other, eh? And why are you trying to hide it?" Then I swiveled around and looked at Red Cat. "And why is there a bounty on your head?"

I leaned back in my chair, arms crossed over my chest, not willing to risk the Rakehell until I had some answers.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I knew Ransom meant well, an I waited fer her t' finish, then I piped up, "There is a reason the Dry Tortugas are called dry, there's no fresh water. I won't leave us stranded. The Relentless can tow a jollyboat, which we can sail safely through reefs an back t' Florida, if we had too." I placed my tankard on the table, an continued, "The Spanish hav laid claim t' those waters, an if we find anythin', they might be inclined t' take it from us! Hence the warnin' 'bout that."

I turned t' Red Cat, "Since, ye burned that wallet, there'd be no harm in ye tellin' us wot was in it, now would there?" As fer the rest o' her story, I said, "Roberts, acts like yer wet nurse some o' the time. Do ye wish t' elaborate on that?"

Finally, I turned t' Silkie, "If I hav t' deal wit' one more lass right now, I might shoot someone!" Then I smiled, "Not ye o' course, luv."

Roberts sat there a moment...so this is how it was going to be were it? Slowly every muscle began t' tense up... though it was almost imperceptable to the others..