The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Ransom had her concerns 'bout Roberts. I promised her, I'd let no harm come t' Jane. I'd keep a weathered eye on Roberts.

Jane was an enigma, she often removed herself from the group, then fain join any endeavour we'd undertake. Roberts seemed t' be an open book, wit' mayhaps a few pages missin'. I thought he'd be wit' us, while we kept company wit' Red Cat, who had a few secrets of her own.

Roberts had placed Red Cat at a table, soon her mates gathered round, t' share drinks an swap tales. Red Cat was well liked, an always added her own brand o' mischief t' any soirée.

While the Cat recovered from her wounds, we could plan our voyage t' the Dry Tortugas, t' look fer sunken Spanish vessels.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ransom had her concerns 'bout Roberts. I promised her, I'd let no harm come t' Jane; certainly not from Roberts.

I shook my head as Jacky walked away. He might think he could keep an eye on everyone - Roberts, Jane, Red Cat - but he wasn't no hydra with multiple heads, so I wasn't quite sure how he planned to accomplish the feat. Taking a seat with the others, I fugured I'd keep an eye out myself, if only to cover Jacky's back, which I kinda enjoyed.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Roberts held onta The Cat like she be made o china. Not wantin ta appear anything but her usual feisty self, Red Cat did the best she could to walk all normal.. but between her side an her leg she looked more like a drunken sailor. She figured it to be no big deal as they were in a pub.

Once all were settled in their favorite corner near the large fireplace, Ray had stood them well with drinks thanks to Jane's heavy purse. He set about to get them fed as well. The storytelling started and a small crowd gathered round to hear the latest tales.

Red Cat was surely in her element, feeling better with every laugh got and embellishing until eyes either bugged out or rolled to the ceiling. She didn't mind tho, the fun was in th tellin.

Roberts happy with drink finally in hand, laughed heartily and brought out a prodigious amount o coin t' buy the next round.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Happy t' see th Cat lookin more like herself.. Roberts was enjoyin the company n the libations. Bein at sea f' a month, it was good t' see new faces. He looked about an decided he liked this lil band of scallywags Red Cat had attached herself ta. Feelin generous, he bought th next round.

After a time an some shanties, the crowd thinned to just the five o them. Ray cleared the many pewter dishes an empty bottles replacin them with fresh drink at Roberts expense this time.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

I turned t' Roberts, "Thanks fer the drink mate!" So, it comes down t' this group, plus crew, fer our next adventure.

We had toasted our good fortune an friends. I raised me tankard, "T' adventure on the high seas, an travel t' far away places. May we return t' this safe harbour, t' tell the tale!"

Adventure? Roberts eyebrow raised as he toasted Captain Tar..hoping mayhaps to join the group. Specially if there were treasure involved. He suspected there were. Especially after the stories he'd heard this day.

Considerin sailing to far away places, he suddenly remembered summin from earlier in the morning. He looked about the table at Jacky, Ransom n Chloe unsure if this were the place t' bring it up. He needed t' tell Red Cat, but how to do so. Roberts stared into his tankard in thought, rubbing his thumb on the ornate handle.

Ransom was still keepin wary tabs on th newcomer. She noticed him go silent and knew it wern't the drink. Well.. not completely. She nudged Red Cat with an elbow. "Ow!" *grumble* "Sorry lass" she said and gestured towards Roberts with a quick nod of her head and a look of question in her eyes.

Red Cat could tell he had summin brewin in his head. She'd seen that look before. Roberts was a careful man, t'was why he'd been around so long.

"Oi! Jon" she said waiting till his blue eyes met hers. "ye ferget how t' drink or yer lookin at yer pretty face in tha mug?" she twitted.

Roberts liked when she called him by his first name. He didn't allow many t do so.

Aye, she called him many things..but this one he could abide by.

Quickly glancing round the table which now had turned their attention to him, he fixed her with a stare. Trying to communicate wit his eyes that he'd summin important. Best test the waters..

Roberts took a swig from th tankard in response t' her jest an then leaned foreward his elbow an tattooed forearm on the table.

He paused for a long moment...

Red Cat got that odd tingling sensation at th back o her neck..not wanting t let on her feelins just yet, she raised an eyebrow at Roberts...He looked a little uncomfortable, fidgeted a bit an lowered his voice.

As Roberts spoke he looked only at her. The big man leaned in a bit, and spoke softly as if conspiring on some secret matter.

"This mornin I saw... well....." Another pause as the Cat's eyes widened. "Tis gone ye know..." Cat gave him a blank stare. One would think she had no idea what he was talkin about, but in reality she was waiting for the next part of the sentence. "Well I seen it" he thought about this for a moment "r' actually I didn't see it.."Able to stand the worried look Cat was tryin t' hide no longer he said "But walkin the dock wit yer fine friends ere I also seen Ol One legged Tom. Well.. he gave me th nod an.. spoke wit his hands as he does" Aside from his peg leg, One legged tom was also mute and spoke with hand signals. He owed his lack of speech to birth, but there was a shark what owed him a leg. He'd seen Roberts looking out over the cove and given him the sign from a distance " I believe it was..." Roberts paused one last time enjoying the buildup. He looked up as if remembering "Southeasterly..?"

Jane had stayed quiet during most of the story telling. After all, she didn’t have nearly the adventures to regale the others with, not much had happened during her time aboard the merchantman. Instead she found herself drifting into thoughts of the past. Staring at her shoes out in the street had brought back memories she thought long buried. She watched Roberts now from across the table, blue eyes bright as he spoke, drifting into her own thoughts. He had tied her ribboned shoes, exactly like the ones she now wore. The little kindness was all it had taken to set off Zachary’s anger. It was the first of many nights Jane would find herself on the wrong side of her husband’s seemingly limitless temper. She could nearly feel the sting of his hand on her cheek as he beat and swore at her.

When Jane looked up she realized Roberts had fallen silent, a furrow of thought barely visible under his tanned brow. Red Cat attempted to get him talking again, but by the stare he penetrated her with it was clear whatever he wasn’t saying was of some importance. Jane found herself filled with the desire to leave the table, to disappear into the shadows. She pushed back in her chair a bit, leaning away from the expectant vibration that began to surround the table. Green eyes jumped between The Cat and her friend, finally settling on the lip of her own mug as the man leaned over to speak in a rough whisper.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Red Cat just sat like a statue for a moment..everyone looked at her wondering if she'd gone ill from her injuries. Slowly a smile crept across her face and her eyes seemed t' sparkle with a wicked merriment.

For a moment her eyes were distant, as if picturing a pleasant memory. She spoke slowly and her voice was breathy at first as you would sound when speaking of a fond moment past. "Ayyyyee...Southeasterly.."

Suddenly Cat grabbed up her tankard and exclaimed gleefully "Southeasterly!" smacking a toast with the beaming pirate wot had brought her the good news.

"Roberts! fetch me t' the fire ere!"

With surprising agility, the tall rogue swept the Cat up and spun her around. Then brought her near to th pub's large warm hearth. She drew from her coat the wallet, kissed it with drama "Mwwwah!" an tossed it into the flames. Smiling and looking Roberts in the eyes she gave him a big hug , he spun her once more as they laughed a private laugh and headed back to the table and the others..

As they did she noticed Silkie and waved her over to their lil corner o th world..

Settled again at the table, she turned from where Silkie stood, hoping she'd take up the invitation.

Red Cat faced Jackie Tar. She knew he was adding this action to the list of questions he'd yet t' have her answer. A challenge t be sure Mr. Tar.. said she to herself. looking forward to it.

To the Captain she said "Jacky luv, tell us agin bout this treasure n the Legartos aye?"

I wondered about that wallet an it's contents, that had been so precious a few hours ago. I gave Red Cat a quick glance, as the flames so quickly consumed it. A small gasp from Ransom, told me she wondered the same.

"Welcome, Silkie! Gather round mates fer we don't want the riffraff t' get wind o' wot we be up too." Everyone leaned in a bit closer, t' get a better listen.

"It's been a long while since any Spanish treasure fleets hav plied these waters. Tales are told 'bout Spanish ships sunk an lost t' storms, in water so shallow that ye can swim t' 'em; if ye know where they lie."

"I believe I know where one of these fleets sunk, an the ships lie in less than fifty feet o' water! We don't even need t' swim down t' 'em, fer the local natives hav been bringin' up the gold fer us."

I take a sip from my tankard, an pull from my pocket a few of the cobs I showed last time, an somethin I didn't show. I produced a small glass bottle with a liquid in it. Ransom said, "It looks like water!" I held it close t' the candle on the table, an said, "It is water, an worth more than gold, if ye need it."

I turned t' Ransom, "Give me the dagger ye carry in yer bodice." She started t' protest, an remarked she had no such thing. I held my hand out, an she produced the dagger. I took her dagger an slashed my palm. "Damn that smarts," I said. Ransom looked at me like I'd lost my mind. I put the small bottle t' my lips, an pulled out the cork. Careful not t' waste a drop, I poured the fluid on my bleedin' hand. The water foamed, along the cut. Jane said, "It's acid!" I laughed, "No, it's nuthin' o' the kind." I pulled a handkerchief, t' dry my hand. Then I showed my skeptical friends my hand, which was no longer bleedin', an had no visible cut.

Silkie blinked in disbelief. The lass, seldom at a loss for words, was dumbfounded, her maw agape in utter disbelief. "Wot manner uv whichcraft be dis?" she thought as she absentmindedly crossed herself before looking to see the reaction of the others.

Red Cat, pulled from the glow of her own happy event, was fascinated. As she took in the scene before them her mouth hung open a bit. She supposed it were th healin waters Jacky'd spoken of just a few days past.

The Cat had heard legend o these things.

Roberts was full o such tales... an seemed to know a great deal of the shadowy secrets which floated on mens lips, as they spoke in dark an unknown places.

Jacky's hand had healed in front of their eyes! The value of such a thing was ..was.. well ye couldn't count it. Nay, surely there were no number high enough!

But as her mind quickly turned over the possibilities she realized it could have a darker side.. She decided not to speak of it for now.

I saw Silkie cross her self, an looked at the disbelief on many o' the faces, at that table. "Silkie, it's not black magic. Spanish explorers hav been seekin' the source o' these waters fer ages. Tales purport the healin' waters can restore health, an more. I thought they were just tales, till I was able t' aquire some o' the water fer me self."

Silly o' me riskin' a demonstration, I thought. "Not all treasure is gold mates. I hav little o' this water left." I leaned over t' Red Cat, "I wish I had been carryin' this wit' me, when we found ye, luv. Take these last drops an use it on yer side. The catgut will fall away, when this touches the wound."

I nod a welcome to Silkie, then stare in disbelief as Jacky's hand healed so fast, and was left as if no wound had ever marred it. Where in bloody hell could that water have come from? Then something clicked in my brain.

As I watched him hand the little vial over to Red Cat, I asked, "This water. It's not from that Fountain of Youth the legends tell us was somewhere in Florida, is it? I mean, the Spaniards looked all over for that place and never found it, or so they claim. Did that old salt you rescued give you that," I pointed at the vial in Red Cats hand, "along with the tale of the legartos? 'Cause if he did, why didn't he use it to save his own life?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I nonchalantly replied, "Not sure about a fountain, the native I traded wit said somethin' 'bout a spring in the everglades; as had the Dutchman."

I sat back in me chair, "The Dutchman is not dead, an is get older, the same as you an me. That's the problem wit' retellin' tales, most don't get 'em right the second time." I smiled, at Ransom.

Red Cat tentatively took the small bottle from Jacky Tar's hand..

She would have been afraid to try such a remedy, if not for the fact that she'd just seen him demonstrate it with no ill effects. She held the bottle up and tilted it, looking at the others magnified and distorted through the glass and it's contents. Then shifted her eyes back to Jacky. "Go on then," he said. She glanced at Roberts who offered no opinion except an expectant stare. Roberts was a mite superstitious and Silkie crossing 'erself made him more so.

Red Cat pulled back her shirt just far enough, and tapped the bottle releasing a few drops on her healing side. It tickled making her giggle, and her side healed instantly.. "WOOT!" Gasps from the table all 'round. She ran a hand over where the injury had been. Good as new! Rolling up her sleeve she did the same to her arm and then made everyone close their eyes (which looked quite silly) and put some on her leg. Renewed Red Cat stood and danced around, the usual various items attached to her jingling. She ran over to Jacky Tar an hugged him so hard she toppled his hat. "I dunna know what t' say" she happily. "Thankee! A thousand times!"

One little jigglin' item missin', an I held out the Cat's bell an chain. "Ye dropped this!" She smiled an bounced over t' me, as Red Cat was want t' do. She spun an lifted her hair, an I clasped the chain 'bout her neck again. "Fer luck," I said. Truth be told, it warmed my heart t' see her back t' her old self, once more. Roberts smiled, an I thought I saw him wipe his eyes.

The bottle sat empty on the table, I could see Jane studyin' it, an glancin' at Red Cat. I believe we made a few skeptics believers this night. I wish I could bottle that kind o' magic!