The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Jane shifted uncomfortably in her seat. They'd been gone too long and she knew it. She leaned at Ray as he delivered a fresh tankard to the blond haired man only a space away.

"Oi, Ray. How many bells?" Her brow furrowed, knowing the answer wasn't going to ease her mind.

"Just shy o eight in the middle watch."

BAM! Jane's fist pounded the wood in front of her causing the man with his full drink to jump in response. She shrugged apologetically, her attention really focused on the door just past him. Unfortunately sheer will wasn't enough to make the stray sailors return.

"Damn me" she muttered, chewing an already short finger nail. She knew she should have followed. Sure she was useless with a weapon, but at least she'd know what was happening rather than sitting and waiting.

"No worries gerl," Ray offered in passing "Tar n Ransom'll find the Cat."

"Not them findin 'er I'm worried 'bout" she replied, pushing her empty mug out for a refill.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Red Cat is shivering a bit and the shaking is bringing her about. "Where are we? " she asks, seeing unfamiliar surroundings and only Jacky trying to peel the sleeve from her arm. His are rolled up and he has a basin, cloth and some fresh water t the bedside. She's still feeling woozy but starting to warm from the covers an the shivering. Everything hurt but she was grateful t' be safe..hell..t' be alive. Jacky's voice was soothing now.. and the Cat closed her eyes again and listened to him as the room was still wagging a bit..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

The inn keeper's wife knocks at the door, leaves a pitcher o' water, an a bowl wit' clean rags by the door. I open the door wit' my pistol in one hand, still not sure if we had been followed, an slide the items inside the room. I set down the pistol, bolt the door, an carry the supplies next t' the bed where Red Cat is in repose.

I pour some water in the bowl, an dampen a rag. I gently try t' sponge the sand from her facial wounds. Ransom had helped undress Red Cat, 'fore they left. Checkin' the stitches I placed in her side earlier, it looks like her dressin' needs changin'. Thankfully, she hasn't lost much blood, an she has no fever.

I'd cleaned up her other wounds, an she's goin' t' need a few days t' mend. We can't stay here that long, an I'm anxious fer Roberts an Ransom t' return. Sleep would be welcome, but someone has t' keep watch, lest Silas send more henchmen.

Red Cat is shiverin' a bit, I reach fer a wool blanket t' cover her wit', an watch over her till the others return.

Red Cat wakes briefly to the feel of a warm wet cloth on her face. Jacky Tar is tendin to her split lip and the small nick on her cheek. If she knew what she looked like she'd have been horrified. Bandaged up so, and her hair a tumble of braids and knots. Thankfully lips and a few bruises heal with little marks left behind. Her sight is focused now that she's had some rest. She looks up at him, and seeing her come around his eyes are instantly warm... and she thinks the little crinkles at the edges look handsome.. Red Cat manages a weak smile.. some of the spark returning to her own eyes and sleep overtakes her again.

Roberts and I returned the horses to their original tie rails, with no one the wiser. I notice Roberts touch the wound on his head a few times, and I'm sure it's hurting him like blazes, but I don't much care. He hasn't earned my trust yet, so I figure a little pain is no more than he deserves.

When we reach the Fat Weasel, I'm so concerned for the Cat that I open the door without knocking. Jacky has a pistol pointed at my head before I can get two steps into the room. I hold up a hand, palm out. "Sorry, luv, it's just me and Roberts." Then I look toward the bed, where Red Cat seems to be peacefully sleeping. "How is she?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I lower my pistol, set it t' half cocked, an say, "That could have gone badly, luv. I must be more tired than I thought, swore I bolted that door."

I sat back down, and sighed, "Did anyone miss the horses?" Ransom shook her head, and walked t' Red Cat's bed side. "She's fine, she opens her eyes now an again. She just needs sleep, so do I." as I yawned.

Roberts was wincin' an I thought I saw fresh blood near his hair line. "Better let me hav a look at that head mate." Roberts looked exhausted, an I was sure he'd reopened that gash in his head. "That's goin' t' need a stitch." I said, an handed him a bottle of rum, as I went t' fetch a needle an more catgut. He settled into a chair, an gulped down some rum.

With admiration for his skill, I watched Jacky stitch up Robert's head wound. We were all tired, and I envied Red Cat's deep slumber.

I came to stand next to Jacky, and asked quietly, "With the door bolted, do we need to post a guard? We're all of us dead on our feet, and I don't think we have to worry about anyone asaulting Red Cat again tonight. They're probably busy tring to figure out what went wrong with their little plan."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I turn t' Roberts, "Shall we try t' get some rest? I'll rest against the door, the sun will be up soon. Let's try t' catch a few winks." I sink down against the door, an set my pistol by my side. Everyone, seems ready t' sleep. Tiltin' my tricorn over my eyes, I slip in t' much needed slumber.

Jacky sat braced against the door, and Robert's found another spot in the room, closer to Red Cats cot. As for me, without hesitation, I slumped to the floor next to Jacky, enjoying the warmth of his body in the chilly room.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Silas Farnborough had been sitting in his cold damp shack down near the seedier section of the waterfront. He was already planning on how to spend the money..a luxury he usually didn't allow himself. He drank heavily as he waited, and considered his fortune.. To barter a prize like The Red Cat might bring him more than one thing he sought. a chip worthy of bargain......

But the night wore on and none came. No sound of a sack being dragged up the wood planking as usual or the drunken shouts of his men.

He slammed his fist on the wall with a dull thud cursing himself for not staying to see the job done. But the figures on horseback were unexpected and he lit out always looking out for his own miserable fortune. Which was not advanced this night. A fault of his own cowardice."There'll be another time Cat .." he grimaced as he crossed the beach and turned his back on the bodies which lay there. ..."another time..marke me words..."

Roberts was spent. The Rum had lessend the pain in his head to a dull throb. As he settled he thought on a old ships surgeon he'd known and was grateful fer those like Mr. Tar who knew well how to tend to a wound. More grateful that he'd tended to hers than his own.

The room was chilly but the quiet was welcome. Not wanting to be far from Red Cat, he took the space closest to her cot, leaving Jacky an Ransom to their private huddle by the door. He slumped against the wall with his shoulder to the wooden post of the bed and fell asleep with his pistol loaded and in his lap.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Red Cat slept quietly for a time, but exhaustion and loss of blood filled her head with troublesome images. She was back on the beach and fighting with the men who seemed huge an hideous like creatures from some story, invented to scare children. Feeling the pain from her side in her sleep she saw a blade come at her, cutting her deeply. She fell to the ground in shock knowing the blow to be fatal. She looked up into the eyes of the man who would see her last. Lightning flashed and in that moment she saw the scar as he stood above her.... laughing

Red Cat gasped and sat up in the bed suddenly. Roberts woke immediately at the sound grasping his flintlock an looked toward the door. Jacky an Ransom were still sound asleep and the room was quiet. Her eyes were wide in the pale of her cheeks. She sat silently staring not fully awake. "Cat, Cat 'ti's ok" he said softly "Roberts is here lass, I'm here an no one will do ye any harm" He'd seen her have nightmares before... but that was long ago.

Roberts took her shoulders and lay her gently back afraid she tear the stiches Jacky'd put in her side. She relaxed at his voice and closed her eyes again muttering summin he didn't understand. Placing a hand to her head and again on her back he was relieved to feel no fever. He watched her for a time until her breathing became even and though he'd only rested briefly, he didn't want to fall asleep. In the dim light of the candle she seemed small... and despite her usual independent demeanor, curiously alone. He looked over at her friends.. tired and huddled asleep against each other having risked all for her and knew she really wasn't. "Aye, ye be lucky Cat.." he thought "aint many who'd stick their necks out so far in this life" he fell alseep again determined he'd be there this time if they needed him.

I hear somethin', lift my tricorn, an give the room a sleepy scan.

Red Cat is restless, an I have Ransom sleepin' against me. My shoulder is achin', an I fear wakin' her if I move. I try t' move her, an she settles into a comfortable position across my lap. I caress her hair, count my blessings, an drift back t' sleep.

In the very early hours before dawn, as the events of the night unfolded..and a man slept soundly in the Fancy Parrot.. unknowingly robbed of his possesions. A ship was being towed silently out of the harbor by longboats. It passed through the inlet and the red sails unfurled catching the Ocean wind which blew unfettered outside the protected cove. It took a South Easterly tack and soon slipped over the horizon.

Roberts had slid down to the floor during the night. He lay on his side cradling his pistol. Usually given to snoring, his body was even too tired to do that. He'd not slept the day before he'd arrived.

A sliver of light streamed in through a crack in the wood shutters and traced across her face. Which now held a more natural color. Red Cat awoke and lay there a moment, the events of the past day and night slowly coming back to her. At least what she could remember. She took a mental inventory of her limbs...yup all there "thank God" The Cat closed her eyes a moment in relief.

Opening them again she could see rough hewn timbers of a ceiling, a few cobwebs in the spartan corners. The room was cold but she was warm beneath the blankets some kind soul had coverd her with. She made to move, but stopped quickly. Her side hurt and her body was stiff and achy. "Bastards" she thought wincing and squeezing her eyes shut. She wondered just how bruised she was. That last tumble when the sand gave out beneath her had cost. Not to mention the pummeling or slashes to her arm and leg. She smiled a bit thinking how she gave as good as she got. Her lip felt huge and she bought a hand stiffly to her face feeling for what she couldn't see. "Not too bad" she supposed. "It'll heal". She brought the other hand to her side with some effort and felt the stitches, confused now she eased herself up on the pillow to see where she was. She didn't make it too far when her head began to swim. Sensing it was early, and the room was quiet, whomever brought her here surely meant her no harm. She lay back again wondering how it had ended and how she got here. She began to drift back to sleep as her mind was already going to the whereabouts of her weapons..and the wallet.

A weak light had started to brighten the room. I stirred, and discovered that I lay with my head cradled in Jacky's lap. I stayed still, listening to his soft breathing, enjoying the closeness of the moment, while he slept. I knew the moment wouldn't last long. Robert's was already waking, rubbing his hands over his bleary eyes, then wincing as he touched the wound on his head.

Gently, I eased myself up, then on impulse, leaned in and gave Jacky a soft kiss on his cheek. Then I stood and walked quietly over to Red Cat's cot, to see how she'd faired through the night.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Roberts heard Ransom stir as he sat against the wall with his knees drawn up, pistol beside him on the floor. He had his elbows on his knees and rested his head in his weathered hands. The combination of drink and the rock he landed on created his own private hell. Nested just between his ears. It was subsiding as he rubbed his temples. He gingerly touched the fresh stitches, wincing at the tenderness there. He heard someone move past him and looked up to see Ransom standing over Red Cat.

Glancing towards the door in the dim light, he saw Jacky was still sleepin. The man had spent all his energy huntin her and her assailants last night. "Aye, how is she?" he called in a husky whisper "She had a bit of a time durin the night"

Ransom looked towards him. She realized he must have been up sometime during the night as they slept. She wondered if the man ever slept at all. His eyes were softer and looked wearied in his tanned and windburned face. He had removed his scarf but tied his thick hair back in a que to keep it out of the stitches. "She's sleeping" She whispered back. "Aye, goode " he replied and to keep up appearances gave her a half smile, showing a flash of gold. He was a proud man and didn't want to let on just how tired, worried and hungry he was. Ransom noticed the tone in Roberts voice, it was deep and warm though only a whisper. She hadn't noticed that before now. He was an interesting fellow. No wonder The Cat kept his company..

I secretly smile from under the tricorn. Sounds like everyone is comin' around, an I start t' stretch. Standin' up, I amble over t' where Ransom is standin', next t' Red Cat. I whisper, "Mornin' luv, I'm goin' downstairs t' see about some breakfast, fer everyone. An talk t' a man 'bout a wagon. Bolt the door behind me."

Ransom turns away from her vigil, an walks me t' the door. I pass into the hall, an listen fer the bolt t' slide in place.

A blinding stream of sunlight spilled into the tavern as the front door swung open. The bright light fell on Jane's pail face, cutting across her closed eyes. She jerked upright, rudely awakened from the light slumber she had been enjoying. Her hand lifted from where it had pressed between her mug & cheek, a pink indent on the palm.

"Ugh." she mumbled, smacking her dry lips. The last drop was emptied from the favorite mug by way of refreshment. Her blond head turned around the quiet bar. Only a few snoring sailors and the young indentured girl scurrying about her morning tasks disturbed the silent space. Jane's brow creased deeply. There was no sign of her companions, nor any sign that the had returned while she dozed. Under most circumstances that wouldn't worry her, but the way Mr. Tar & Ransom had manhandled the newcomer combined with Red Cat's disappearance set her on edge.

"Blast if those three aren't going to leave me gallied." she swore, half yawning as she stood. The lumpy sack of random objects was slug over a shoulder as she stumbled out into the morning sun and quickly filling streets. With no idea where the others had gone off to it would be pure luck if Jane managed to find them, but looking was better than waiting in front of a bottle all day.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Red Cat awoke from the sound of a heavy brass bolt sliding into place.

Was she imprisoned here? Or did someone just lock themselves in with her? She kept her eyes closed and willed herself to remain still. Every pore screamed to get up, grab her weapon which hopefully was near, or a bottle to be broken..anything and face them. She was sure her heart pounded so loud it could be heard.

"Gods.." she said to herself a moment later as she heard Roberts gruff whisper mingling with Ransomes soft voice. She opened her eyes and sitting up with some effort, realized they must have all been on the floor earlier. From her prone vantage point she hadn't seen them.. and assumed she was alone. Roberts looked tired and Ransom not much better. Her clothes were sandy and a bit torn. He had a red angry wound on his head. They were standing in the corner looking out through a crack in the shutter. Cat began to say something but her mouth was dry. No sound came but a whisper and she wished dearly for a cup of water. Both turned at the sound looking at her with relieved faces. "Whar's Jacky?" she croaked suddenly realizing he wasn't there and fearing the worst.

"Rest easy, Cat. He's gone to see about breakfast for evryone and a wagon for you. No need to worry."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Roberts mood was fast improving.. the thought of breakfast had started it, and now Red Cat was awake an talkin. He delighted in her deep brown eyes. She'd cried out during the night, and fearing fever, he'd secretly been worried he may not see them again. He moved to her side and brought some water to her from the pitcher that remained.

Roberts mood was fast improving.. the thought of breakfast had started it, and now Red Cat was awake an talkin. He delighted in her deep brown eyes. She'd cried out during the night, and fearing fever, he'd secretly been worried he may not see them again. He moved to her side and brought some water to her from the pitcher that remained.

Robert's concern for the Cat was gaining points with me. It was obvious he cared a great deal for her. I decided to let up on my distrust, for the moment. If she trusted him, then I guess I could.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg