The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

A launch, sailing under a white flag, approached the galleon. Two lads at the oars, Mister Tar (I believe) at the tiller, and a lass at the bow of the boat.

"What are you up too, Mister Tar?" I remarked.

The launch came along side, and damned if the capitan wasn't welcoming them aboard!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any attempt by me t' address the capitan, fell on deaf ears, fer his eyes never left Rosie as we boarded.

I stepped up t' Rosie, an placed a set o' castanets in her hands, then I whispered, "Dance!"

'Fore I said another word, she whirled away, an began t' click out a flamenco beat. The crew began t' clap in time wit' her castanets, when a member o' the capitans' staff started strummin' a Spanish guitar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nm3-gXpUJ6M&feature=related

She was captivating, an I'm sure, every man would o' sworn she was dancin' just fer him. Rosie flirted wit', an danced around, those on deck; but her gaze finally settled on the capitan.

Aye, Nate's grin were back. "Aye capin, we'll slip past easy. An just cause there were no wind last night, don't mean this place settles like that all th time. Th small wind we gots now smells of a weather change ta me, an I hope means a storm a comin. That be th case, we'll have our needed wind, and more cover ta be sure." Nate grinned at the capin, gave a salute to her and Africa, nodded to Red Cat and gave a wink before takin his leave. Nate walked over to where Colard stood and gave a low laugh. "Aye mate, capin says me plan gots merit, Lord willin we'll be outta this stinkin swamp an ridin th ocean waves soon." Colard gave a raspy chuckle and nodded vigorously before both men turned to some work at hand.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Beside me, Africa gave a huff. "You goin' to listen to dat man? He pretty cocky sure o' hisself."

"Oh, in principle, his idea is a good one. Didn't say I'd follow it word for word. It's my ship, Africa, and I'll decide where she goes and how she gets there. Grim fact is, we can't stay here for very long, and the only way out is back the way we came."

"You think da Spanish still be there?"

"Good possiblity. But those galleons are slow and awkward as bathtubs. The Rakehell would have no trouble slipping by them in the dark. It's navagating this lake and the river mouth that has me worried. We were lucky getting in. We need to be very careful trying to get out. I also don't think there are any locals we can buy supplies from, since we've seen no one. When the wind picks up a bit more, let's head her back south. But have Jimmy, Ludo, and old Colard keep a watch for sand bars and floating debris, and let Tunny run soundings. Have Nate, Red Cat, and Goose man the rigging. I'll stay on the tiller. We'll lay off the channel until dark, then try to make a break for the open sea."

"Den what?"

"I'll worry about that when we get there."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Nate was happy when the heat of the day had past its zenith and the breeze freshened. He could still smell a change in the weather on that breeze, just when that change, that storm would come Nate didn't know. Most everyone on the ship had stripped down to their shirts in the heat, Nate wished he could strip to just his slops, but with the women aboard, he held back. Slowly the sun crept closer to the horizon and Nate would occasionally shoot a glance back at the capin, wondering if she would make the run out to sea tonight, or not. Nate prayed several times that day that she would have them make the run now as opposed to the next night. Even though this land of swamp and marsh was one of God's creations Nate liked it not one bit.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Colard stood port side fore, keeping an eye out for snags and sand bars. He hummed softly to himself, more out of habit than anything else, the current situation being too serious for a proper song. The ship had turned south, and the water of the lake had picked up a slight chop due to the increased breeze, so floating debris was harder to see. He could also smell the storm coming in from ocean, the briny air blowing away the oder of rotting plants and swamp gas. If the dark, menacing clouds curling in from the southwest were any indication, the storm could be a big one, and they might be safer on the lake. No sure way to tell. If it did come howling in, Colard hoped it blew the Spanish galleon to perdition, or sent her to the cold, dark bottom.

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

The sun was high in the sky, Smithe had plied the capitan an crew wit' drink, an Rosie danced herself in t' a dervish.

While Dillard an I stood there, tired, sober, and laughin'; we watched Smithe top off drinks, as the crew settled in fer a drug induced siesta. The rum Smithe served was laced wit' a narcotic, an even the lightest drinkers were feelin' the effects.

Rosie, had lifted keys from several gents, an deposited them in me coat pocket. She danced over t' the capitan, an coyly asked him t' finish his drink, if he wanted her t' dance more.

Amused, we watched the goblet slip from the capitan's fingers, 'fore his slide t' the deck. Even Spoons has accepted a drink, an was now face down near the main hatch.

Our little troupe, wandered below decks offerin' drinks t' the remainin' crew members.

We came upon Silkie's guard, who refused t' drink while on duty, despite our assurances that the capitan had sent us. We relieved 'em o' his watch, wit' a belayin' pin, t' help the lad slumber.

Weakened by her transformation less than half awake after resting only a short while Silkie heard the familiar sound of Jacky's voice. "Jacky?" She said weakly, thinking it a dream. The thud of a body collapsing to the deck followed. "Jacky?" She called louder. "Aye Silkie m'dear here t'rescue you." Hearing the bolt slide she gathered her whits, "Jacky!" she exclaimed as the door flew open. Silkie stood there her seal hide draped from where she held it above her breasts, hanging loosely before her her legs exposed. "Jacky, ave ye a coat fer mae?"

I took off me frock coat, an offered it t' Silkie. Wit' me head turned away, I muttered, "Bastards, couldn't even spare some slops fer ye."

"Dillard run up topside, an fetch a pair o' breeches from the capitan, or one o' his crew. Can't march Silkie t' the long boat wit' out some clothes on." I said. 'Fore I could say more, the lanky young lad, was out the main hatch.

Wit' out turnin' back t' Silkie, I asked, "They didn't force themselves on ye, did they lass?" Given her state o' undress, an how long these devils had been at sea, I feared the worst. But before she could answer, a grinnin' Dillard had returned wit' some silk breeches.

"Good work, Mister Dillard." I passed these on t' Silkie, an added, "Be quick lass, we best be off 'fore the crew awakes."

Once Silkie had dressed, we weaved our way back t' the launch, past sleepin' crew members, an a pantless capitan.

Upon our return t' the Relentless, we hoisted the anchor, an set sail fer the open ocean.

Africa stood at the helm, his face turned into the rising wind. The captain was up in the fighting top, scanning the river outlet of the lake. It was almost dark, and he very much wanted to be away from this evil-smelling place. He also hoped the storm would blow the Spanish galleon to the place of demons. He hated and feared the Spanish for the three years of slavery he'd suffered under them. If this ship were caught, he would fight to the death, or throw himself over the side and drown, before letting himself be taken prisoner again.

At the port side, Tunny called out a sounding. "Three fathoms, mud bottom."

Above him, the captain called out. "Luff her up here, Africa. Ludo, Collard, drop anchor."

With a silent prayer to the gods of his ancestors, and with a touch to the little bag of corpse powder at his neck, Africa adjusted the helm, while Jimmy and Goose hauled at the sheets. The Rakehell gave a gentle turn off the wind, then drifted a bit until the anchor was set.

Then it was time to wait until the deep hours of night, when the spirits walked and a ship meant for smuggling might slip past an unsuspecting Spanish galleon.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Silkie plopped down on the deck, an asked if I was afraid o' wot the Spanish would do, when they found her missin'. I replied, I was more afraid o' wot Ransom might do, when she found the Relentless missin' from this bay!

But I assured me self I'd chosen the correct course o' action, despite the fact that it appeared we were sailin' off in t' a dark, an stormy night. "It may be a bumpy one lads!" I shouted. "So let's put some canvas t' good use, while we can, an put some distance 'tween us an those Spanish guns."

The storm seemd to be standing off a bit, but lurking, low and heavy, over the ocean. I did not want to try and navigate the river channel in the dark, if the storm picked up force again. I had two choices. I could stay on the lake until the storm had passed for good, or risk the channel and hope the storm didn't catch us before we could make to the open sea.

It was close on midnight. The wind was brisk. The moon high.

"Africa, I don't fancy staying in this over-sized swamp any longer. Let's get the old girl in the channel. And pray to whatever gods you choose, that the storm sits and sulks for awhile longer."

I heard him breath a sigh of relief. "Aye, Ma'am. I do that." Then he barked orders to the crew.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate grinned as the big moore barked out the orders to raise sail and get the Rakehell under way. Looking up into the darkness at the tall masts as the booms were raised, Nate saw the tiny sliver of the moon there, giving just enough light to see by. The sails were drawing well and for safety clewed up some so they wouldn't bury the hull in the mud if the bottom shoaled up quickly in the unfamiliar waters. The wind was brisk alright, so much so that the sweat soaked shirt Nate wore was giving him a chill. Sooon as was convenient, Nate dove below and got his jacket, and while he were there picked up his musket and pistol and shot. Back topside he laid them near the bulwarks near his duty station, just in case the need arose. All were quiet as church mice, save the man in the chains calling out the lead in a hushed voice. Nate grinned and began to hum for a moment before cutting himself short. Best keep as quiet as could be. He thought, until we be free an clear o this dreaded place.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat had worked close to Roberts an mostly in silence. There were some relief t' be under way agin tho she remained cautious, one on on wot little o' th passin shore could be seen. There were unfamiliar waters an wit a storm brewin things could change mighty fast.

She an Roberts spoke in hushed tones, speculatin on whether th' Spanish would make a bold move r' whether ol Jacky might have a trick r' two up his sleeve yet.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Sitting on the deck exhausted wearing the Spanish captains clothing, still holding tight her hide, Silkie wondered if she should just slip into the hide and vanish into the tide.

"Jacky," he looked her way as she called "we needs t'talk once were underway."

She then laied down where she sat, and using her hide as a pillow she slept again.

Nate stood at his post, watchin an waitin, listenin to all around. He could see clear enough in the dim light, watched and heard others shift around and talk quietly. Nate saw Colard and listened to his soft humming, almost started to hum along but didn't. Red Cat n Roberts stood off ta th side an were talkin, bout wot Nate didn't know. He strained his ears ta no use. Shruggin to his self he looked up an whispered. "Wot say ye Father? You gonna whisper so quietly too? We gonna git outta this here fix wit them spanish? Or have ye different plans fer ol' Nate an thems in his company? Speak up iff'n ya please." Nate closed his eyes and if any were lookin his way, a big smile crossed his face and he slowly nodded.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

'Fore I could utter a word t' Silkie, she was asleep on the deck. As we approached the outer banks o' the bay, it was clear that the ship Spoons alluded too was Dutch, an not another Spanish galleon.

The smaller ship had battened down the hatches, an was preparing t' ride out the storm. "Mister Dillard, let's leave Spoons a partin' gift. Let's unload our cannons on that ship!" I said, as I pointed towards the ship, that was quickly comin' in range.

"Mister Dillard, hav the lads train some o' that chain shot on those masts. No sense in leavin' em two ships t' chase us wit'."

As if she were tip-toeing, the Rakehell slowly navagated the river channel, Tunny calling out soundings as we went. Near as I could figure, we only had about another mile to go. That's when the sound of cannons came rolling in through the darkness.

Everyone froze, listening. Everyone's eyes, like mine, strained to see through the blackness, looking for a warning flash. Were the guns aimed at us, or was Jacky under fire?

Nothing sliced through the rigging, nor did the water explode around us, so it must be Jacky — either being fired on, or firing at the galleon. Yet I dared not go any faster, and risk running aground.

"Dey not Spanish guns, Ma'am," Africa said quietly. "Dey six pounders. Dat galleon hit us with a nine at least."

I smiled at him. "So, "Dat Man" seems to be fighting back." Then I chuckled to myself. "'Bout bloody time."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Silkie sat bolt upright with the blast of the cannon. "Wot?" she nearly screamed, her heart raced as the last of the flash faded into darkness. Realizing that the shot had come from the Relentless, Silkie, nearly blind for the moment, let forth a string of curses in Irish Gaelic that would make a sailor blush.

;)

"Glad t' see ye decided t' join us lass!" I shouted over the din and roar, o' the gun fire.

"Stones, we've no time fer a second pass, set a course fer the open seas." Our guns had splintered their main mast, an we had a left them wit' a few days worth o' repairs.

"I doubt they'll be able t' get underway, fer days." I remarked. The moon light illuminated the damage we'd done.

There was a lot o' activity aboard the battered ship, but t' no avail. We were beyond their reach, an they were in no condition t' give chase.

Nate froze wit his ear cocked to th rumble o th cannon fire. Having no idea which ship it might have been, Nate could only wait and see what the capin gave orders to do next. One thing Nate did know was that any chance of slippin by them spanish unawares was for naught. If the commodore were engaged wit the galleon, Nate figured th capin would join th fight. His eyes turned aft to where the capin and big moore stood, anticipating for orders to be given.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

With painstaking, frustrating slowness we traversed the last of the river channel. The mouth widened, and the wind smelled of the open ocean, instead of dank vegetation. I could hear the surf pounding on the shore, and the wind had kicked up again. The Rakehell, like a hound on the scent of a fox, quivered as she made her last quick tack, breasted the waves, and was at last in her true element — the sea.

In the dim moonlight I saw one ship. The galleon, earily quiet and with no sign of her crew. We slipped by her like a ghost. Once past the galleon I saw another, smaller ship, dismasted, her crew scrambling over the decks like angry bees. A few of them shouted and pointed at us, but we were already out of range of thier guns.

And much further south, pale sails glimmered against the night sky. The sails of the brig Relentless as she left us behind.

"Oh no, Jacky," I muttered, smiling to myself. "You can't slip away from me that easily."

"Do we fire on the small ship, Ma'am?" Jimmy Cox asked. The rest of the crew waited expectantly.

"No. Leave her. She's no threat to us." I spoke to Africa, "Follow the brig. We head for the Dry Tortugas, as was our original plan."

"But Dat Man, he leave—"

"The Torgugas, Africa. Sharply, before the Spaniards decide to waste a few rounds on us and wake up the crew on the galleon — although how Jacky put them all to sleep, I haven't a clue."

Africa glared at me. "It 'cause Dat Man be da devil."

I laughed. "Oh, Jacky's a devil all right. And I'm his worst nightmare." I grinned. "It's why we get along so well."

Africa just groaned, then gave the orders to follow the Relentless.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate grinned his wild grin soon as they made the open sea. He pulled a medallion out of his shirt and kissed it and tucked it back in. Orders were given, sails sheeted home and drawing full. Nate hummed and half sung a song, even danced a little jig.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Colard looked over at young Nate, dancing his jig. "It be a fine thing, I'm thinkin', tae be out on the sea again. I dinna ken I could hae stood that swamp stink for one more day. It be too bad the poour Spaniards fell asleep at thier post?" He gave the lad a wink, then started to sing...no need for quiet now.

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

She rose to her feet, ready to call to help defend the ship.

"Ya knows d'change takes allot out uv mae Jacky."

When she found that they were not under attack and the the initial shock left her she could feel the adrenaline draining from her and the exhaustion washing over her once again.

Leaning against a barral she sighed, "Jacky, ya keeps mae on m'toes."