How Smart Are You?

Rumba Rue

For those who think they know it all, here's a test for you.

How smart are you ? ?

These are not trick questions.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the

participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving

backward?

3. of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for

several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted

every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear

inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is

genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside

the bottle?

6. Only three words in Standard English begin with the letters "dw"

and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name

at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold (grocer)

frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except

fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning

with the letter "S."

Answers*

Answers to Quiz:

1. the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. Boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward - Niagara Falls (The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside. Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)

6. Three English words beginning with dw dwarf, dwell and dwindle.

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar. . period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotat ion marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh. Lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with "s" . . . shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.

Hmmm... Is there a "Dumber that rocks" category? ;)

You know full well my head's full of all manner of arcane knowledge, sweetness. But this is goofy sh*t that most don't know! ;)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Hmmm... Is there a "Dumber that rocks" category? ;)

You know full well my head's full of all manner of arcane knowledge, sweetness. But this is goofy sh*t that most don't know! ;)

Yep, there are the "Dumber than dirt", and "Dumb as a box of rocks" categories...I fit into the "box" category myself... ;);)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Question three is true only if you exclude a great number of leafy herbaceous plants classified as vegetables.

Strawberries are not the only fruits with their seeds on the outside. In fact, i'm fairly sure that's the classification of a berry. Blueberries, raspberries, and pineapples also have their seeds on the outside, separate from their flesh.

i have cooked lettuce in a number of different dishes, and i can't think that i'm the only person who has ever done so. i got a lovely recipe for a warm spring soup including mushrooms from martha stewart omnimedia, in an article featuring recipes from an inn's award winning restaurant. i doubt this restaurant serves its spring soup for free.

Since sandals and sneakers are generally considered shoes, i think stilletos are also worth mentioning.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

6. Only three words in Standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold (grocer) frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

1. The spectators, and certainly the participants, KNOW who the "leader" is in MANY bouts - it's quite plain when one is being beaten to a pulp.

2. Mt. Rushmore - it is eroding and therefore "moving backwards" into the mountain itself.

6. Actually, if you wanted to be technical about it -

Dwell, dweller, dwelling, dwelled, dwells, dwelt...

Dwarf, dwarves, dwarfed, dwarfing, dwarfish, dwarfishness...

Dwindle, dwindled, dwindling, dwindles

Dweeb

Dweevil

Dwayne

Dwight

7. *15* - forgot interpunct.

8. What about vacuum-packed lettuce mixed with carrots, etc.? That's processed, no?

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

I got 7 and 14 but that was all. I did guess ata few of the others. By the by as water always erodes rock and I can think of a number of waterfalls that are or have been considered National Landmarks wouldn't that kinda perclude Niagra Falls from being the ONLY land mark moving backwards

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

... And I guessed the statue of liberty since the earth is rotating the direction so she actually too rides backwards!

Not to be a smartass know-it-all, but...

...well, yeah, ok, I WILL be a smartass know-it-all - why not? It's fun! I know Artie-baby won't be TOO PO'd at me...

If the earth is rotating West to East, and the Statue of Liberty is facing East, isn't she facing the way the earth rotates?

That's why she wears that crown - to keep her hair in place when the rotational winds blow... ;)

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius