To kit, or not to kit

julius27

I've decided that I want to buy an actual Queen Anne flintlock, but am undecided as to whether I should get it outright, or buy a kit and put it together myself. I own dozens of bladed weapons, but not a single firearm, so I've no idea what the pros and cons would be.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

Ive decided to start making my own guns. The reason is for cost. If a kit has good quality parts go for it. Check out these sites. Ive also included some early match locks, and a sit of minitures.

Francois

tennessee valley manufacturing

technical video rental

the rifle shoppe

track of the wolf

matchlock

craftsman ship museum.

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

Those guys that build miniatures drive me nuts. How can anyone make something so desirable, so exquisite and so utterly useless? Don't get me wrong, I admire craftsmanship when I see it, and building a working miniature anything is a great accomplishment, but when you’re done all you have is the craftsmanship itself to display (and brag about.) One can't go out and use it. So why do I want one of those miniature flinters so badly? That’s what truly drives me nuts.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I got a Queen Anne kit from Dixie Gunworks. First gun I ever built from a kit, and it was a fantastic (yet frightening) experience.

If you have the tools and patience, I say go for the kit. It will be rewarding -- even if you make mistakes... but that's what experience is made of.

If you never built anything before (especially out of wood), then I'd suggest you take a pass on the kit.

I am saving up for another kit, just to do it again.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg