Parrot raising - pirate style

Bilgemunky

That's cute, but sheesh, I sure hope no one ever uses it as a resource for bird care! We have two parrots, a rose-breasted cockatoo named Spanky that belongs to Saber and I have Cloudy, a triton cockatoo.

Click to hear Cloudy say 'Polly want a cracker'

Click to hear Cloudy meow like a cat!

That be me n' Cloudy in the photo below.

cloudyandmeTRAN.gif

Quite the handsome one, eh?

CloudyCloseUp.JPG

(OK I'm done shamelessly showing off my baby now!!!) :huh:

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

ARRR, I be havin' FOUR parrots, two red-loried amazons and two little Quaker parrots. In true pirate fashion, mine all be mean as snakes and will take yer fingers off if'n ya disrespect 'em. :D They're big softies when ya get ta know 'em, though. When they're not biting off chunks of foolish people's flesh, that is.

The Pyromaniac Pirate

Ay, had me a buddy who had parrots when I lived in Panama. Two was accepatable and one was vicious, nearly took me arm every time I tried to touch him.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

They're very opinionated about who they like and dislike. And if'n ye piss 'em off, they hate ye forever. If they like ye, they'll fly around the house and land on yer shoulder. One of the little ones dive-bombed Hellspawn a couple of years ago when she had a banana in her hand. Poor Hellspawn hadda hit the deck wif her face inna banana! The little bird ran up her back and bit her in the ear. (Maybe trying ta get her face outa the smashed banana, har).

The Pyromaniac Pirate

While I ne'er been a bird expert, I don't be thinking that's a parrot in the pic.

All big birds that sit on shoulders, especially ones that talk, are considered parrots in my book. Anything more than that is just a technical name. Except for crows, which apparently are closely related to the parrot and share the higher bird-brained intelect. I heard of a pet crow once who learned to bark like its owners dog in order to get doggie treats.

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I used to live in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and the crows there are as big as small dogs. They're very laid back birds, never would fly off when traffic was coming, but we never saw one as roadkill.

I always wondered about that until I remembered that they're always telling each other "Ca! Ca!"

*accepts cannon fire as tribute*

:rolleyes:

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

noticed something about crows...had to throw this in the mix...

(i'm sorry to say i'm not a big parrot fan, forgive me. but i will take a crow anyday!)

since i work at an animal hospital who also handled wildlife, i did see alot of crows. wonderful creatures! not only do 'Mom' and "Dad" crows stay together until death do them part, the teenagers help raise younger siblings until it's time for them to strike out and start their own families....and yes they do learn how to talk!

i took this from newsday.com:

"There is far more to crow speech than just their deep strident caw. Like parrots, crows mimic human speech when exposed to it during captivity. "They have an incredibly complex vocal language," said Mindy Washington, a wildlife rehabilitator in Southampton. Crows have a large vocabulary - sounds with assigned meanings - that they use to communicate, woo and protect themselves."

can you believe they also know how to use tools???

the bad news - you are not legally allowed to own one unless you have a wildlife permit (at least the last time i checked in virginia)

the badder than bad news - it's ok with the "Law" if you go out in your backyard and shoot them with your redneck pellet gun because they bug you. :ph34r:

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

While I ne'er been a bird expert, I don't be thinking that's a parrot in the pic.

All big birds that sit on shoulders, especially ones that talk, are considered parrots in my book. Anything more than that is just a technical name. Except for crows, which apparently are closely related to the parrot and share the higher bird-brained intelect. I heard of a pet crow once who learned to bark like its owners dog in order to get doggie treats.

Coastie :ph34r:

Interesting concept. I'll have to send that to Hoyles Official Pirate Guide and have them add that one.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Aye, I love birds. Parrots are spectacular birds, n' I'd love to have 'un if me mum wasn't so opposed to it. She hates, I mean, HATES seein' pet birds in cages. My friend has a caique, which is a smaller kind of parrot, and he wants t' kill me, I can see in in his eyes, the lubber. He's a real pyrate's parrot. :ph34r:

Captain Wolfy Wench