Deck Shoes

Cap'n Coyote

Just curious as to what footwear is best for ship activities. Not necessarily re-enacting. This kind of echoes another thread, but wet decks, climbing rigging, etc. can't be easy in a pair of boots. Would tennis shoes be the best? Some sort of sandal? Barefoot with calluses the size of halibut?

I was just thinking back on my days of rock-climbing and the shoes we used then. If you're not familiar with them, they are a light canvas shoe with a large, sticky rubber sole curving up over the toes and heel, usually purchased 1 to 1 1/2 sizes smaller than your street shoe, and usually in colors that would make golfers hyperventilate. Anybody ever tried them on a ship?

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

As for barefoot, I'd reccomend against it for working ships. I've climed the Lady Washington's rigging before barefoot, and that thin line just cuts into your foot, callused or not. Plus, there's a number o' things t' stub one's toes on. I've found many o' them before.

Sandals work fine for me, though I've also worn boots without much difficulty. When racing, I usually have some sort of canvas or leather boat shoe, so as not to mark up the deck.

Coastie :huh:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

As for barefoot, I'd reccomend against it for working ships. I've climed the Lady Washington's rigging before barefoot, and that thin line just cuts into your foot, callused or not. Plus, there's a number o' things t' stub one's toes on. I've found many o' them before.

Sandals work fine for me, though I've also worn boots without much difficulty. When racing, I usually have some sort of canvas or leather boat shoe, so as not to mark up the deck.

Coastie :huh:

Real pirates care now what color their deck be nor how many times they stub their toes.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

For a factual note, I stress highly to all reenactors who board my vessel that shoes needn't be period, as I'm not fond of man overboard drills due to improper footwear..Since most are non boaters, my recommendation is always tennies....and layered overgarments, that pirate stuff looks kewl, but, the sea has no taste for fashion.....

Ay and yer feet have a great memory for not kicking the same thing more than absolutely necessary (arrgh me brain fergets how to spell sometimes).

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.