The Sea Rover's Practice

Just purchased The Sea Rover's Practice, pirate tactics and techniques, 1630-1730, by Benerson Little.

Looks impressive... has any one already read it? Opinions??

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

about 1/3 of the way into it... though I have found a few things I disagree with, I give it two BIG thumbs up. And this from a confirmed skeptic. I picked it up and thought, "what the hell can this guy teach me about piracy? He's just another nabob trying to make a buck off of honest sailors." Just goes to show ya... I was being the nabob!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I have read through it twice and found it very interesting and well researched. It has some good surprises to it, including the range and accuracy of the weapons of the time and the way pirates fought - now elegant with sword fights but dirty, as if their life depended on it - oh, it did.

A definite must read for anyone interested in the period, tactics, technology and techniques.

-- Bart

I enjoyed the amount of background he put into the buccaneer societies. I originally got it to test siome theories about the fighting methods we're teaching in the HMCA and I'm happy to say the book backs up the techniques and research very well!

<_<

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Can this book be found still in print? I had not heard of it before

I'm currently reading " A General Historie of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates" by Capt. Charles Johnson a reprint of the 1725 edition so far it's an excellent read and should be a MUST READ for the piratical living historian :lol:

The thing I like, is that Mr. Little actually has tried out the techniques he writes about...

Some of them, obviously. I wonder about some others. For instance, the wearing of pistols on silk ribbons. I've tried it, and have yet to find a user-friendly way of doing it. He doesn't mention that he has tried it, though he does mention it as an observed (and archaeologically documented) practice.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

You make an excellent point, Blackjohn. I've never been able to figure out how they made that work in a boarding scenario without getting tangled up and making the pistols useless in the process. And people see all sorts of odd things in the heat of battle that may or may not have happened. Who knows?

I really enjoyed the thoroughness of Little's research and the thoughtfulness of his presentation. No wild conjecture or oddball leaps of logic to make the facts fit preconceived notions (a pet peeve I have with a lot of historians and especially archaeologists).

The thing that astionished me the most is that Mr. Little is from my hometown! :lol: :) :lol:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?