Verizon DSL vs Comcast Cable

blackjohn

In about a week I'm moving. The place already has a dsl line running to it. I've got guys scheduled to come out and drill a hole in the house to install comcast. But do I want to? Is verizon dsl better? Anyone out there have experience with both?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Can't answer that one for you.

(Yea, I know, you're asking "then why's she posting.")

Anyway, I never had a hard phone line so when I was given the computer Comcast cost less and I could allways use the antena service for TV. Verizon was too expensive to install. So far I have had good luck with the service, Comcast works well. Now I just need to get the computer to work well!

Verizon is evil. I swear the are swindling me, but I haven't been able to figure out exactly how.

They charge you for everything little thing and it's at least a two hour wait and three transfers to get any question answered. Unfortunately they are my only option right. Gotta love a cornered market. ;)

Have a friend who use to work for Comcast installing. If you wish to be, be very picky about the instilation and the holes ...it is a pain but they are use to the requests.

I on the other hand have cable coming in the front of thr basement to where the TV sits on the first floor, running through the basement out the back up to the second floor to the room where the computer first was, then through that room and the closet to the room where the computer now sits. (I drilled the hole through the back of the closet for that one!) :) ;)

Traditionally, DSL quality has been determined by the distance you are from a relay station. Cable quality is determined by the number of people online at the same time, as you are sharing a connection through a ring of subscribers in the same are. DSL is dedicated or shared by few - i.e., those directly between where you are and the relay station.

I had DSL installed once - in classic Green Acres episodic form. The phone company sent a lineman to install the DSL from the house to the pole outside the home, then across the street to the other pole. Never went any farther because were were something like 100 feet too far from the relay station. The line is still there. A testimony to the phone company's waste of time, resources and money.

- Sir Henry

A Cable modem subscriber since Day 1... couldn't be happier.

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

We have Verizon DSL at work and Comcast Cable at home. The Comcast Cable is a zillion times faster at home.

However, at work we also have anywhere from 3 to 8 people using Version on the network at the same time. I have been in the office alone though, and while the DSL performed faster than it did with a full office - it was still slower than the Comcast connection at home.

Hope that helps!!!

I worked tech support for Cox cable for a while. As a general rule cable should be faster and more relliable. One option I use that I wouldn't reccomend is starband. Don't get me wrong I like it but unless you live in the stix like me there are better options.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

It depends. Comcast is shared, so how fast it goes depends on how many of your neighbors are on it. I've talked to people who have it and they've said that at peak times, the service is S-L-O-W. Sometimes it got so bad they waited until the wee hours to use it (during non-peak times, they said it was very fast.) The comments from these folks convinced me to get DSL.

Of course, if you don't have that many neighbors, it won't be as much of an issue.

RHJMap.jpg

Cox had pretty much taken care of that problem by installing more nodes in high volume areas by the time I started working with em as has comcast in this area. The end all be all of it is you and where you live however. In theory cable should always win this little fight however if you are close to the dsl relay and there are a ton of people on the cable node then........... In the end it's all speculation until it's actually been tried.Witch is what makes dslreports.com so handy Other people who know whats going on around you talk about it so you don't have to find out the hard way. I used to recommened it to people on the phone but had forgotten all about it till Long Tom mentioned it

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Cable is faster, however I've been getting a lot of troubleshooting calls with people complaining about their modems not working half the time. If you get Cable you might want to invest in buying your own modem, or at least discussing with the tech about what modem would be best.