Port Royal, Jamica. JOINT THREAD

Capt. Sterling

Oi anyone going to write any more? And don't tell me yer all busy sewing... snigger.

So sorry Captain. The charters have picked up here at the harbor. We've been fishing alot lately.

"Nothing more excellent nor more valuable than wine was ever granted mankind by God."

-Plato

SinnersNeedeNew.jpg

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oi anyone going to write any more? And don't tell me yer all busy sewing... snigger.

Sewing? **Looks at pin-pricks on fingers, and bruises on top of the feet from crawling around on a tile floor laying out and cutting patterns** Why would you think I've been sewing? :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Oi anyone going to write any more?  And don't tell me yer all busy sewing... snigger.

So sorry Captain. The charters have picked up here at the harbor. We've been fishing alot lately.

Glad to hear business is going well!! Not to fret, just teasing my crew members as I KNOW they are all sewing... :ph34r:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Oi anyone going to write any more?  And don't tell me yer all busy sewing... snigger.

Sewing? **Looks at pin-pricks on fingers, and bruises on top of the feet from crawling around on a tile floor laying out and cutting patterns** Why would you think I've been sewing? :ph34r:

Welcome to the club! :ph34r:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

:ph34r: Im in the midst of a sixteen week algebra class squeezed into one month...hehe....have a hard time finding time to sleep much less write. Hamish is with Lilly and I trust her to use him as she sees fit till I can take back over in a couple of weeks.

(Gives Hamish and Captain Sterling a sheepish grin...clears throat)...

Quite Right, Danny! (Giggling like crazy)

:ph34r::ph34r:

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• 3 weeks later...

Questions:

In regards to the map shown on page 1 of the thread, what are the "turtle crawles" found on the western end of town?

Secondly are any of the other streets named? I know many are (and labeled as such). For instance, what street is St. Paul's Church found on?

Thanks

"Nothing more excellent nor more valuable than wine was ever granted mankind by God."

-Plato

SinnersNeedeNew.jpg

It could be several things

Andrew Orgill (about 1680s), who was a merchant and planter, use to have land which was called 'The Crawls'

There was an area called 'turtle crawls' which are probably referring to an area along the beach on the north side of the island.

I think St. Paul's Church was off of High Street. That's all I can find thus far.

Hope this helps.

Member of "The Forsaken"

I have a time question.

I may be misinterpreting this, and if I am, let me know, but it appears there are letters flying from Port Royal to England with airmail delivery speed. In real time, how many weeks/months would it take a letter to travel back across the Atlantic?, and then for a reply to be sent? In the story as it is running, do we need to fudge this time, so that the action doesn't get bogged down waiting for letters or information to go back and forth?

Thanks...

R

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

If I am not mistaken, I believe these are different letters all together, not related by topic or answering the previous letter, just the senders happen to be the same...

Crewe of the Archangel

Okay, then I just misunderstood the situation. Thanks, Captain. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Looks lyke we're back jus' 'n time, eh Cap'n?

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

Welcome back!!

Crewe of the Archangel

I have a time question.

I may be misinterpreting this, and if I am, let me know, but it appears there are letters flying from Port Royal to England with airmail delivery speed. In real time, how many weeks/months would it take a letter to travel back across the Atlantic?, and then for a reply to be sent? In the story as it is running, do we need to fudge this time, so that the action doesn't get bogged down waiting for letters or information to go back and forth?

Thanks...

R

If memory serves, average time to cross over the Pond from the Colonies to England was three months....give or take. Perhaps this will be of aid.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

If memory serves, average time to cross over the Pond from the Colonies to England was three months....give or take. Perhaps this will be of aid.

Approximately 10 weeks from England to Jamaica... so you are close. From Jamaica to England it took about 14 weeks. Regarding England and the Colonies, depends in which direction you are traveling and to or from where....

Crewe of the Archangel

The turtle crawls are on the west side of the spit. They were the storage area for turtles that were sold at the meat market next to it. The turtles were usually shipped in from the Caymans. Next to the turtle crawls were lobster pens. Slaves would wade in and harvest the ones a customer wanted for dinner that night. Remnants of the pens still exist under the water there today.

The church was on High Street. It was one of many. Port Royal was one of the most religiously liberal cities on the earth at the time. There was even a synagogue there at the time.

Other streets would be Lime, which intersected Queen near Fort James, Cannon Street, Thames, which was long the docks... I know most of the others but my books are packed for shipping to my new Pyrate HQ tomorrow.

-- Sir Henry

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

Thanks, Sir Henry. You are always so good at sharing your knowledge with us. Hope you can rejoin the story at some future date.

R

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Ok, I think i'm going to try and get back in the fray. I want to download the

the entire thread and be able to read it offline or print it out. ( I left around page 100) It seems that I can't download any post past 8/3/06. Any Help?

Maybe a moderator can help. Thanks to all.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way... if anyone wants the definitive book on Port Royal, this is the one:

http://www.amazon.com/Port-Royal-Jamaica-M...2524077&sr=8-46

It used to be only available in Jamaica. It covers every aspect of life there, from the land ownership, fortifications and merchants to the topography, geography and population. It's very complete and detailed and extends beyond the earthquake to include the naval period there as well.

-- Henry

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

Ok, I think i'm going to try and get back in the fray. I want to download the

the entire thread and be able to read it offline or print it out. ( I left around page 100) It seems that I can't download any post past 8/3/06. Any Help?

Maybe a moderator can help. Thanks to all.

hmmm ...should I have read? lol I just jumped in.

Actually for your character, the only histories you might need to know, unless you were the queen of the local gossips, might be that of Nelly Greene and the Devareaux clan...

Crewe of the Archangel

It seems that I can't download any post past 8/3/06. Any Help?

Amanjiria,

It took a bit of time to do it, but I was to print post from past 8/3/06 to print. I did have to refresh the page to get it to work.

Do you have a MAC or a PC?

Cheeky

Member of "The Forsaken"

oi capn.....after reedin the whole damnation thing....wheew...4 days worth....i think i gotta in...hehe....me thinks the bosun will have a reletive...an ex-lt of marines?...perhaps?...if he can find him.....mind if i borow march or symms awhile...since you seem indisposed of at the moment?

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

mind if i borow march or symms awhile...since you seem indisposed of at the moment?

Lilly shoots M.A.Dogge a look. "Oooh! Throw that old decrypted man-servant overboard, will you!?” Lilly hissed. Good riddance to the old goat!”

Member of "The Forsaken"

Okay ...I wanted to participate but I can't follow the time or the place of anyone. Could each person who posts from a different location from the post before start their thread with where they are? Maybe make it a different color or bold it please?