Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

"Have a care lad!" Sterling barked as bed chamber door was wrenched open. "I will not have my wife afrightened with all yer hammering no matter what the cause may be that brought ye here and in such a state!"

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen dropped his eyes, "Beggin' yer pardon, sir. But tis a storm be buildin' offshore an' it may be best to go further inland. I have been one to see such afore an' I don' think it wise to be hangin' here 'bouts."

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"Aye, yes of course..." Sterling paused. "Thank ye lad, my apologies for my tone. Was beneath me and you. Best be about getting the horses ready then. Is there a carriage available? I would not wish to leave anyone behind. As soon as I can get myself dressed, I shall be out to assist. Mayhaps there would be some planks about to board up the window shutters and hold them fast?"

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

"Aye...The lads be gathering plankin' from the livery. Tis a chaise stored there as well, I'll be tendin' to it now, sir."

Stephen gave a humble nod then retreated quickly the way he had come.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Sterling waited until Stephen disappeared back down the steps he had thundered up seconds before hurrying back to other room to try and locate his breeches.

The light poor, it took him several minutes to retrieve the black garment as well as old stockings. The items still stank from the fire before and as he tiptoed about the room, the floor still wet with puddles, he found himself cursing the devil for the further perils the monster was about to cause. Stooping to fetch his shirt, shoes and waistcoat, he sighed, his honeymoon had been far too short.

Crewe of the Archangel

“ Killingsworth was the only guest on board the Rakehell.

“Guest”

The word flashed in Charles’ thoughts as he turned from the rocking ship. Curiosity sparked in the back of his mind. He’d been so wrapped up in Captain Striker’s healing he had nearly forgotten that little tidbit. Why had Ioan called Killingsworth a guest? It didn’t seem like the proper term unless there was something else he had been hiding. Charles wandered across the broad dock to where one of the Anna Rae’s crew sat contemplating his pipe. The grey haired man raised the white bowl to him as he approached. Casually Charles leaned against a tall barrel next to where the older sailor stood.

“Mr. Mercer. Ye been sailing fer a good long while. Yer tha kind ta know a thing or two aye.”

”Aye lad?” The wind swirled around the man, shifting in sudden gusts, sending the thin tobacco smoke in random circles above his head.

“Ye ever heard o a ship call tha,” Charles screwed his face as if trying to remember the name. He didn’t want to give away more than the man needed in order to find his information. “Ray, Rakehell?”

Bushy eyebrows knitted together, the wrinkled grey head shaking in disbelief. “Oh Lord boy, ye didn go gettin yer self mix up wif them pyrates did ye?”

“Oh? Oh no sir. Jest heard tha name is all. Curious like. So I thought ta ask around. Ye heard o her?”

“Aye lad. I heard o ‘er. N betwinst you ‘n me,” Mercer leaned forward, a conspiratorial whisper in his voice “I heard ‘er lady cap’n tried to buy off Admir’l Morgan wif a fancy French cannon. But he won’t have nothing ta do wif them pyrates. Oh No sir. ‘E’s a good man that Sir Henry. Won’t let none o them scallywags go takin oer tha city. Ye can’t go buyin’ yer way inta Port Royal, hear!” He ended his rant loudly, several eyes on the dock turning at the outburst.

“Aye a good man. Thank ye sir” Charles clasped his crewman on the shoulder before leaving him to his tobacco.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Aurore overheard the conversation and watched after as husband departed the chamber. Sitting up, legs were drawn to chest, olive sights looked into low hearth flame as it danced and flickered with own agenda.

Encircling knees in arm embrace, chin was rested atop and hearing focused on the wind's traverse outdoors. A resigned sigh was issued to the current situation now faced, the sacrifice to be issued. But such things lingered not long in the corridors of her mind, for greater concern lay with the where and well being of those held dear.

"Make haste ma petite gardienne," Sterling said, as he made his way back into the bed room, arms laden with odd bits of clothing from the day before. He could not help but wrinkle up his nose as shirt was brought back on over his head. "Get dressed Amour. Something well suited for a storm. I want to get ye and Meagan some place safe."

He looked at her, his expression obvious, concern for their well being finely etched for all to see. "You will trust me, Chere, will ye not?" he whispered.

Crewe of the Archangel

Reluctantly, four poster fortitude was given up and she shuddered involuntarily to the wind's howl. A glance was cast around chamber's parameter with hinted sadness, finally resting upon Sterling's face.

"Oui, Sucre'..."

From large armoir, clothing was retrieved and adorned. Hearth fire was extinguished and the small oil lamp on bedstead, soon after.

As couple made their way downstairs, Sterling glanced about. He had barely had the time to acquaint himself with new domain and now he was forced to flee from it.

"See to Meagan," he whispered kissing Aurore upon her forehead. "I shall see if I can help in any way outside regarding the house or our means of escape."

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore gave small nod of acknowledgement, then stepped forward to vanquish the space between. No notice was granted to the acrid smell of cloth absorb, nor the tarnish of soot and ash. Gentle caress was laid on scarred cheek, tender kiss bestowed on desired lips, then she backed away.

He caught at her waist as she moved away, stopping her before he couldn't. He pulled her back to him, his arms moving about her. "Sorry I am Amour, that this had to happen. But we shall be snug and safe soon enough."

Crewe of the Archangel

"Oui, I trust that we shall and I know where we are to go. This is not the first time a storm of this possibilty has attacked, and it is far from being the last..." Her words died off as a pale took residence upon toffee features and she whispered with underlying dread, "Your ship...."

He hugged her tightly. "Ye have my word, ye shall be safe. The 'Angel is clean, we'll out run this, I promise, but let us not dally here. Je t'aime, Aurore, I will let nothing harm you."

Crewe of the Archangel

Outrun... The word rattled around her mind like frightened bird looking to escape. Her eyes grew wide, her voice just above whisper, "We are not going inland?"

"Non, Chere, there is no place safe here. The Archangel is our best wager. I..." his words trailed off as he looked down at her. Good hand came upward to lay soft stroke along her cheekbone, loose hair gently tucked behind ear, as fingers slowly trailed downward along ear's outer edge. "Oh God, Chere ye know I hate to ask ye to come with me if it frightens ye so, but I cannot, in all good conscience, leave ye some place unfit. I must go to my ship and I beg ye to come with me."

Crewe of the Archangel

As the wind picked up, I paced the deck. We had waited for half an hour, and still no one had turned up on the pier. At least, it would take hours to unload the cargo. I did not want the Rakehell trapped in Port Royal harbor with a gale building.

Sheets snapped and whipped as the wind grew stronger. Whitecaps appeared on the incoming swells. To belie the early hour, the sky grew darker, rather than lighter.

"We can no stay hear any longer, Captain," Africa pressed. "We be lucky ta beat da storm as it is."

My fury matched that of the coming storm. With the holds heavy with cargo, the Rakehell would sit lower than usual. It might help, or it might hinder, there was no way of telling."

"Blast the Devareaux's and all their secret sceaming. Why couldn't Sebastian inspect the blasted cargo while we were in Port Royal. Would have saved us a day, we'd be free and clear by now."

I looked the sky again, trying to gage what time I had. By the looks of things, not much.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Sabastian found Elliott and Devon standing with a gathering of men and wagons. There was a tension in the air, nervous eyes cutting to the expanses of unbroken sea and sky as the wind contiued to build. The majority of those present had migrated to island spit long afore siblings three and their whispers regarding impending storm told tales of tempests past; comparisons voiced with uncertainty to what might lay ahead.

Gitan Dauphin listened to the wordings of those around him, carefully judging the pros and cons, the risks to all involved, then came to finite decision. He looked to the large sea vessel in question, sparsly decerned in early hour light but for the greedy lash of lightning tongue licking heavens above. Sitting proud astride mount, his visage reflected so many nobles before just before orders were given to charge the field of battle; jaw hard set, eyes searching mutable Square.

"Non, mes amies...."

Whisperings hushed, Gathering focus falling to rider. Sabastian looked away from water's chop to return their attentiveness, " Look to you and your own, this proposition involves a price of risk I am not willing to pay. Merci for your service, but your families are of more import. See to their safety and find shelter inland."

Words of grateful partings were given in turn, and those that had gathered broke ground to varying direction as startled covey taking flight away from danger's hail. Noir rolled bit at tongue's whim, dancing in place, resisting instinct's call with ears laid back. Dark eyes returned to sea vessel center as Burke, standing near at hand, was addressed.

"Please have those of our number aid the folk here. There are many women and children to look after and I wish this area cleared with all urgency."

Burke gave nod of ascent, but paused in departure, "And you?"

Focus unwavering from ship pitch and roll, the end of docking was indicated, " I will see if I can communicate to them their need to flee from here, as well..."

Noir was spurred to negotiate track leading to wooden surface. At manmade extention, mount turned away from intended path, having no want to cross the breach. Soft word of encouragement were spoken to soothe and negotiate desire; proud neck stroked. Hesitantly, Noir gave in, the strike of hoof tread on wooden surface all but lost as the wind gained another degree of strength.

“Do we have an agreement, gentlemen?”

"Aye," I said looking at my brother and then back to the large man in front of us. "We 'ave 'n agreement."

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

<_< at the first sound of the winds howl, Dan stepped outside the Three Crowns and looked to the sky. The gathering clouds promised to provide for a dangerous display. "Best be headin' inland" he said to himself. But then, an evil thought crept into his head. "Course, this could be a chance ta fill me pouch wit' some more coin." He looked around at the many shoppes and houses that would soon be abandoned to the fury of the approaching storm. "He he" he laughed to himself. "Need ta be findin a place ta hole up, then we be seein' what loot we can lift afore good peoples return." He set off down the street searching for a place that would weather the upcoming storm safely. Passing near a tavern he noticed the cocky Irish lads and the Spaniard engrossed in conversation within. "Shelter later," he thought as he stepped into the alley waiting for one of the three to leave. An evil smile crossed his sea worn face.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

...Burke gave nod of ascent, but paused in departure, "And you?"

Focus unwavering from ship pitch and roll, the end of docking was indicated, " I will see if I can communicate to them their need to flee from here, as well..."

Noir was spurred to negotiate path leading to wooden surface. At manmade extention, mount turned away from intended path, having no want to cross the breach. Soft word of encouragement were spoken to soothe and negotiate desire; proud neck stroked. Hesitantly, Noir gave in, the strike of hoof tread on wooden surface all but lost as the wind gained another degree of strength.

When I saw Sebastian urge his mount to the end of the pier I ran to the bow of the ship. Leaning over as far as I could, and cuping hands around my mouth, I shouted over the wind.

"I can't stay any longer! I'm taking the Rakehell out to sea. If we survive the storm, I'll return here to Kingston and we'll complete our trade. Agreed?"

Just as I finished, the anchor cleared the water, Jimmy, Tunny, and Africa straining at the capstan. Fat drops of rain smacked against the decks, and lightning danced across the Southern sky. It was a very bad time to be short two crew members.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Standing in stirrup support, Sabastian cupped right ear in effort to decipher what was being carried away on the wind's passing. Scraps were heard, just enough to puzzle together as the anchor made slow progress upward and broke liquid turmoil below. He gave exagerated nod in reply then, offering short bow before regaining seat. Noir was turned, and without much persuassion needed, the merge of terra and wooden support was regained. Beggar Prince reined in briefly, casting gaze to vessel's slow turnabout progress, then spurred companion to domocile proximity.

Three wagons were loaded, two more were near capacity....

As the ship turned her prow toward the open ocean, I gave the shore one last look, and saw Sebastian's brief pause. A smile lifted the corners of my mouth. It was the last one I was to enjoy for the next two days.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

He sat lonely in the corner of the inn with a bottle of port before him. His facial features were masked by the darkness. Striker could not believe what his First Lieutenant had told about Jane .Could it have been her . Why would she want to be pretending to be a son of Adam?

He leaned over the table to take hold of his glass , his ace slightly revealed before returning to the shadows . While he sipped he pondered on what the Spaniards wanted from her , what was the connection between them and her ? Why were they attacking and following her ?

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Ioan paced the deck of Striker's ship, eyeing the gathering darkness. With the captain on shore, no order had been given to ready the ship and leave the harbor. Ioan had survived a hurrican that hit Charles Town, and he had no deisre to be a sitting duck for another.

He turned to one of the Danes, and between shouts, clipped words, and frantic hand gestures at the sky, Ioan attempted to get his point across. "We need to get out of the harbor! Find your bloody captain and get this ship away."

The Dane flinched as a vicious crack of thunder exploded overhead. Then he barked orders to another, who rushed to the side and left the ship, running for town.

With another look to the darkening heavens, Ioan cursed under his breath and hoped the La Maligna would escape the harbor before being smashed against the docks.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg