Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

"Are all aboard save for me and mine?" Sterling asked.

Bosun savoring another sip of still warm but now watered down grog, shook his head.

"Nay, the new Cutter and Mr. Davis have not yet appeared. Mr. Hazzards has sent Smythe and Nogura after them."

Sterling looked about himself again, still judging the weather.

"How long do ye wish us to wait after we bring ye back to the ship?" de Dogge asked.

"Not long," Sterling said, already frustrated that others had gone away from the 'Angel. "We need to get the Archangel away from here and with haste. You will have to make due with the time we need to hoist anchor, but be warned, I will cut the cable if the weather turns worse."

"Aye, aye sir," Dogge replied. "We'll manage well enough here until ye can come back and fetch us. Grog's quite good," he added with a grin. "Can I assist ye with anything?"

"No, traveling light," Sterling said.

"Very well then sir, I'll fetch the lads," de Dogge said with a slight bow.

Downing the contents of his tankard he turned back to the tavern, his loud voice bellowing for the boat crew, putting the noise of the storm to shame.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Mr. Davis pulled the carriage about Rieley and Bess were met by Smythe and Nogura. Both men fought forwards against the hard driving rain.

“We’ve come for ye!” Shouted Smythe trying hard to keep his balance in the winds. “We have two more to come aboard. This girl here,” Said the doctor turning towards Bess. “And Mistress Lilly McKinney. She has taken ill and needs my care.”

The two men looked at each other with a look of concern. “We were only told to bring you and Mr. Davis back. I sooner face the wrath of God then to bring back the Captain’s Mistress and some serving girl….especially upon his honeymoon!”

Reiley’s face soon turned dark and red. He forced himself out into the rain and wind clutching tightly to Mistress McKinney as he made his way to the carriage.

Mr. Davis quickly opened the door to the doctor and he placed the limp body of Mistress McKinney inside. “I’ll be damned if I am going to leave these two behind. If the Captain asks whose idea it was, tell him that it was I who made the choice. If he is any man of character he will understand completely.”

With that, the doctor waved Bess on and helped her into the carriage. He quickly climbed in next to both of the women as Mr. Davis instructed the driver to hurry to the docs. Smythe and Nogura quickly jumped upon the back of the carriage and took off towards the docks where the Archangel rested.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Like a swift sea bird, the Rakehell fled before the wind, her meager crew of four scrambling to do the work of six. Shouted orders were barely heard, rain pelted the decks and soaked our clothing, while sprays of seawater burst over the prow.

I steered a course west, hoping to stay on the edge of the gale, or escape from her path.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Jane knew her charade was pointless. The Anna Rae was unlikely to survive the storm secured to the docks. With the ship went any reason she had to continue pretending to be Charles Chole. The disguise was never meant to be a long term solution. It was her fear of change that kept it up longer than necessary. Her chest felt suddenly heavy as Striker bowed deeply before her. The move felt so final. She couldn’t tear her eyes away as he turned, striding purposefully towards the tavern door. The unbalanced stool toppled backwards as she hastened after the departing captain, ignoring the wondering looks from the crew.

“Captain Striker” Jane caught his arm only a few steps outside the tavern entrance. Sheets of rain pounded into the thin layers of the suddenly uncomfortable work clothes, running in cold rivets down the back of her neck. “I, ah, um.” She stammered, unable to think of the words that would take them back to the intimacy of only a day earlier.

Striker turned around to face Jane with her hand still holding his arm "Yes Mr. Chole ?" .His voice sounded harsh and mellow at the same time.

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Jane's hand jerked away from his arm, wrapping protectively around her already soaking coat. The coldness of his reply hurt more than the sharp wind that blew against them.

“I said I was sorry.” Her voice could barely be heard over the howling storm. She shook her head, the impact of her choices collapsing around her. “I was a fool to leave.”

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Striker lowered his head and looked into the muddy ground and murmured "Aye , maybe we both were fools ".

A wind swept through the alley , pulling his hat off . It seemed not to affect him the least that it flew down the street before ending in a puddle.

Ioan had left the Rakehell with nothing but the clothes on his back. He stood at the rail of the La Maligna, shivering like a wet dog, until one of the Danes took pity on him and fetched a spare coat. Through chattering teeth, he thanked the man, then looked again to the sky. Lightning zig-zagged over the water, followed by a crack of thunder loud as cannon fire.

To their credit, the Danes had got the ship prepared to leave, but with no Captain Striker to give the commant, they waited. Ioan knew they were almost out of time.

His eyes squinted against the wind, and with rain dripping from his chin, he looked toward town. "Where the bloody hell is the man? If he's not back soon, the fool's going to lose his ship, and like as not, most of her crew."

Which, he thought with fury, included himself.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

She stared at him for a long moment. His defeated posture more telling than the simple words he spoke. She bit painfully at the scabbed split in her lip.

“No sir, you, I didn’t,” She faltered, unable to put her guilt into words. She closed the little space between them with a step. Her hand reached out wanting to lift his bright eyes to hers then hesitated, pulling back before any contact was made. “Please, let me explain.”

The last was nearly lost as a bolt of lightening dodged across the dark sky, over lapped with the deep rumble of thunder.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Striker lifted his head looking into her eyes . The familiar glow in them could be seen again as the rain drops ran down the side of his face. He could see from her eyes that she was feeling powerless by the whole situation. He guessed that if she could she have changed the choices that she had made.

"Go ahead , I will listen"

The Danish sailor ,that came for Striker ,ran and picked it out of the it's watery grave and shook it a couple times before runing back to the captain.

"We are almost there Chere," he said, arms wrapped tigthly about Aurore as the small boat battled its way out toward the Archangel. Sterling held his wife as close as he could, tiny fingers dug into the front of his waistcoat, her face buried against his chest for fear of viewing the scene around her.

Bosun de Dogge barked out words at the already straining oarsmen. They gave the best they had and progress against sea and storm was slowly made until hail was shouted upward to those on deck of the brigantine.

First and second officers, already aware of approaching ship's boat, appeared, overlooking railing by entry way.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

The carriage pulled up close to the docks. The horses pitched and swayed against the storms anger. “Quickly, help me with her!” Shouted the Doctor over the roar of the storm. Both Smythe and Norgua made quick to retrieve their small craft from the where it had been set. As the small crowd fought their way down into the boat, Norgua took charge as Smythe, Reiley and Mr. Davis took to rowing out to the Archangel.

The ship’s Bosun quickly and loudly confirmed the second boat coming forward. “Master March, looks as if we have the pleasure of Doctor Rieley, Mr. Davis and Smythe and Norgua as well. Yet, I see that they have decided to bring guests.” Both de Dogge and Master March looked at each other with concern. “Very well,” Master March replied. “I will have my wife Skittles tend to them upon arrival. In the meantime, look to the Captain and his wife.”

Member of "The Forsaken"

Jane felt her heart fill as his azure eyes locked on hers again. The slightest smile curved at the sides of her mouth.

“Tha ship, tha Anna Rae. I made a promise I couldn’t keep. Now,” She shook her head.

How could she explain to him that it wasn’t the storm but him that made her want to leave the merchantman? Another combination of lightening and thunder shook the heavens, the downpour increasing noticeably. The young sailor behind Striker jumped, obviously anxious to retrieve his captain. Her eyes broke from Striker's, searching the ominous clouds over his shoulder. She sucked in a deep breath at the enormity of the tempest.

“Tha storm! What of your ship captain?”

<_< the battered sails strained against the wind as the sloop limped its way into Port Royal listing hard to larboard before the coming storm. She seemed about to roll herself to a watery grave. Many holes from cannon shot could be seen along her port side and the rigging was torn loose in many places. The Lion of Caladon, the flag of Scotland, flew bravely from her worn mast. Very few sailors could be seen scurrying about her deck but the man at the helm stood out to any who could see him. His bright red hair and beard whipped about his muscular shoulders and strong, craggy hands gripped the wheel tightly. His barrel chest strained to keep the ship on a straight course, his large legs braced like tree trunks to the deck of his beloved ship. He looked steadily about the port and located a span of sandy beach well away from any man made structure. He aimed the bow of his crippled ship toward this beach and prepared to run her aground.

"Mr. Grant" he yelled above the storms wail, "make ready the anchors. As soon as we ground her send em off."

"Aye, Aye skipper" the man yelled back.

"Mr McGregor, ready the crew to go ashore. Look lively lad, wounded first. Leave the dead till this ruddy storm blows itself out. We'll leave the "Reiver" run aground and hope some of her remains to be repaired when this she-devil of a storm runs its course. Take all the men who still breathe inland. Find a low spot and hole up.

"Aye captain, but what o' ye?" the young man replied.

"I'll be for town, I will sit out the storm at the church. Mayhaps I can find that murderin' Dan Reid holed up as well. Likely ta find him drunk in some tavern. If I find 'im, I'll be comin' for you lads. Pray the "Reiver" stays sound enough ta repair for we will be haulin' his murderin' arse home."

With a lurch, the wounded ship ran herself aground upon the sandy beach and the anchors fell with a thud to the sand. Very few sailors, most of them wounded, left the confines of the damaged sloop carrying a few meager supplies. They gathered themselves together and headed slowly into the surrounding countryside. The large red headed man watched as his lads stuggled away. He then turned and began to fight his way through the wind towards the town of Port Royal.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

"HAVE A CARE!!" de Dogge shouted as chair was lowered over side and caught in the wind. As if with a life of its own, intent on murder, bosun's chair whipped about slamming into the 'Angel's side and nearly decapitated de Dogge himself.

Crewe of the Archangel

a small, black dog jumped wildly from the larboard side of the crippled ship, landing in a sandy heap upon the beach. Up it jumped and ran, barking after the redheaded man, soon catching up with him. The little dog ran circles around the man barking furiously as if to say "I can't believe you left me, you bastard" and that's just how the red headed man felt as he knelt down and scratched the little terrier behind the ears.

"I canna' believe I fergot ye, ye little blighter. All this worry about me ship and her crew and I fergot me best mate." The little dog sat wagging its tail, all thought of harm forgiven with one little scratch of its ears. "Well, come on then, off we go." the red headed man said as he stood and re-adjusted the worn claymore on his hip.

The man and the dog struggled against the wind as they made their way towards the town. The redheaded man looked thoughtfully at the bay, noting as he did that several ships made to leave its confines and head out to the relative safety of open water. "Would that we too could run afore this blasted storm, eh mate?" the man said to the little dog. As he continued his observation he noted one ship in dry-dock and several others still tied to the quays. He looked closely for any of Spanish design. He noted also the long boat along side one of the ships, a chair blowing dangerously about its side as the crew below struggled to catch it before it knocked someone into the sea.

Reaching the edge of town, the redheaded man turned toward the church in the distance, the little dog at his side. "We'll be findin' us a warm place ta ride out this bloody storm, eh mate? he said. Reaching down, he plucked the little dog from the street, tucked him under his arm and with his other hand upon his bonnet, made his way through the litter strewn streets towards the church.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

Finally captured and somewhat tamed, lubber’s seat was drawn downward into the ship’s boat. Sterling tried to make his way toward hoisted conveyance but upon stirring Aurore only clutched all the more tightly at his clothing.

“Trust me Chere,” he spoke into her ear. He took her hands in his and then, with fingers gracing her face, he moved to take the seat and pulled her upward onto his lap, arms tightly wrapped around her as nod was given and couple began to take flight to the Archangel’s upper deck.

“I’ll be back to fetch ye next,” Sterling shouted to Meagan as the child watched wide eyed, all too influenced by her mistress’s behaviour.

Crewe of the Archangel

Jane felt her heart fill as his azure eyes locked on hers again. The slightest smile curved at the sides of her mouth.

“Tha ship, tha Anna Rae. I made a promise I couldn’t keep. Now,” She shook her head.

How could she explain to him that it wasn’t the storm but him that made her want to leave the merchantman? Another combination of lightening and thunder shook the heavens, the downpour increasing noticeably. The young sailor behind Striker jumped, obviously anxious to retrieve his captain. Her eyes broke from Striker's, searching the ominous clouds over his shoulder. She sucked in a deep breath at the enormity of the tempest.

“Tha storm! What of your ship captain?”

His eyes narrowed a bit and some frowns were visible upon his forehead. Striker knew that he had to get back to La Maligna before it would be too late and the storm would claim her as its own , and maybe claim some of the crew as well.

"Aye , I must make way to the ship while there is still time . She must be sailed into High Seas as fast as possible! You have to make a choice , either you stay here or you follow ... " A thunder strike roared at them and his words being spoken faded away into the storm.

or you follow

Jane stepped back involuntarily. Her pulse quickened, heat burning the tips of her ears. Did Striker really want her to go with him? It felt to good to be the truth. Her brow furrowed, trying to read the captain's illusive expression. The dim light offered little clue to his thoughts. A burst of lightening lit the street around them, the crack startling her with its nearness. Jane had to swallow hard before speaking.

“I’ll follow captain. If ye’ll ‘ave me.”

"Aye , I do . But ye have alot of explaining to do onboard the ship ." Striker took his hand out towards her . Some sailors from the Anna Rae were standing in the doorway of the inn and looking at what was happening outside with young Mr.Chole and that captain Striker. They were baffled by the whole situation.

Jane saw Striker acknowledge the crew gathered behind them in the shelter of the tavern doorway. She didn’t turn to see the men, keeping her back to the past and focusing instead on Striker’s outstretched hand. She took it, surprised at its warmth compared to the chill of her own. Her other arm tugged the sodden jacket tighter around her shoulders, the thin material little protection against the pounding rain.

“Aye captain” She nodded officially, knowing that he would hold her to a full explanation if they survived the squall.

With a jerk of his head, Striker indicated to his anxious crewman that they would be leaving. The torrent continued, obscuring the view ahead, as the trio began their struggled up the muddy streets towards the docks.

Striker did not know why the girl made him care . He knew that if it was another woman he would have let her behind long ago . He would not even have bothered to wait at the inn to see if Lauritzsen's tale was right.

He looked at her and saw that she shivered from the cold rain and harsh wind. He stoped and took off his riding coat and put it over her shoulders. He looked into her jade eyes and smiled. It had been a long time since he had been happy in it's true sense. In fact he could not remember when the last time he had felt as this.

Jane took Striker’s offered coat, sinking into the warmth he had left behind. Even with the downpour she could still smell the heady scent of him in the material. It stirred long forgotten feelings in her. The captain's face lit as he smiled at her, the commanding spark in his eyes making her smile in return.

The wind whipped about them as they ran, shifting briefly before snapping back to its previous direction. As they reached the docks Striker’s pace quickened. Jane could just make out the darker outline of the galleon as they hurried along, her mud covered shoes slipping as she attempted to keep stride with Striker. The ship struggled against the swelling waves, knocking violently against the unmoving dock. As they neared a call went out from the crew, barely auditable against the drumming rain. Striker bellowed in response. His strong arms forced Jane ahead of him on the gangplank. She stumbled slightly as the board jerked along with the tethered ship before finally finding her footing on the rain soaked deck. The captain’s lieutenant was quickly at their side, the knowing smile on his face making her blush. The two men conferred quickly as Striker ushered Jane to the enclosed cabin. Once inside she slumped into one of the stiff chairs, still clutching Striker's heavy coat around her shoulders.

Lord Darnly stood in the main hall for almost an hour before Lord Sterling gave him audience. Memories of great parties, dances, and gatherings swam back into his memory. There was a time this house was filled with laughter and marry-making. Now, the halls stood quiet…deathly quiet. Soon the servant came forward and asked Lord Darnly to follow him. It was in the great study that Lord Darnly found Lord Sterling sitting near the window looking out upon his estate’s gardens. Lord Darnly bowed low and presented himself so.

“I find this to be a very odd request.” Lord Sterling said still looking out the window, not giving Lord Darnly one moment of acknowledgement. “You have requested to see me and all this due to the fact you say you have news of my son. I must correct you, Sir….I have no son, not anymore.”

Lord Darnly looked somewhat put off by Lord Sterling’s rudeness. “Well, the news in which I bring may bring you some hope or perhaps interest. I have heard that John Sterling, Captain of the Archangel has made his way to Port Royal.” “Is this your news?” Scoffed Lord Sterling. “Need I remind you that he has been dead to me these 6 years? I care neither for him nor of his life.” Lord Darnly moved closer, this time to stand in his path of site.

“You say you do not care of him, but what of his son?” Lord Sterling’s face turned sour. “You mock me, Sir? The Whore in which he married only gave him one living child; a girl, as for the two boys …well, they died with their mother the same day they were born. If you have sometime to say to me, say it Robert. I have no patience for tomfoolery!”

It was then Lord Darnly nodded his head towards to door where the nursemaid stood. Causally, she entered the room with the baby wrapped in her arms. It was then Lord Sterling stood up from his chair. He looked at the child cradled in the maid’s arms and saw the very eyes of his son. Yet, he was a cautious man, especially where Lord Darnly was concerned. “What is the meaning of this?!” He shouted at Lord Darnly. “What amusement do you cast my way? I have no patience for games!”

Lord Darnly just smiled. “I play no games, Sir. It is your grandson, I assure you. The mother, whom is known in the court is very well known and was cherished by the King. She has given the child to me for..for safe keeping. I assure you, Lord Sterling that even though the mother truly loves her son, she wishes back into the arms of its’ proper family and raised as a Sterling. Come now William, this child would be the son you never had. You can raise him properly, make him into the proper young Lord he is.”

Lord Sterling finally looked Lord Darnly in the eye. “So, who is the mother?” “Why, Lady Tess St. Claire, you else?” It was then Lord William finally smiled lightly.

The plantation's manor house buzzed with excitement due to the on coming storm. She felt underfoot at times, not knowing what to do besides wait in the lower quarters with the rest of the Master Lewis Hutchison’s household. Soon the whole family found themselves tucked away in the lower quarters until the storm passed.

She could hear the winds and the rain strike the house and the earth from outside the walls of the chamber.

“How long will this last?” She said looking over at Mistress Huchinson. “We are not sure. Storms such as these do not happen often here, but when they do, they have gone on for several days.”

With a sigh, Tess looked over at Master Hutchison. “What of our agreement?” She whispered to the Master of the house. His eyes narrowed. “We shall discuss this further …at another time, Lady. I find that mixing sport and pleasure can be very beneficial in all accounts. Nevertheless, this weather has put a halt to both. Fear not, we will make sure that your request if fulfilled soon enough.”

Lady Tess looked back at him and smiled. “Damn thing this weather! Who is up for a game of cards?”

As their boat came to rest next to the Archangel, the waves now pitched it to and fro. Smythe and Norgua quickly worked the ropes to make sure that their precious cargo made aboard the ship soon enough.

De Dogge now quickly ordered two men to take care of the other boat as his hands were full with the first. “Quickly Lads!” He shouted as they started to hoist Rieley and Mistress McKinney.

As Reiley’s feet hit the deck, he saw the Captain and his new wife standing in front of him. The Captain’s eyes narrowed. “What’s this?” He shouted back to the Cutter as he held Mistress McKinney’s body in his arms. “She’s ill, Captain. She has taken fever and will die if I do not help her.”

The Captain quickly looked down at his wife for a moment. “Get inside and I shall follow soon enough.” At first Aurore was hesitant to react, but soon listened to her husband. She was quickly joined by Skittles and was taken below. As the rest of the craft was soon lifted into the ship, Bess looked over at Mr. Davis as Reiley cradled the body of Mistress McKinney.

“What would you have me do, Captain?” Reiley’s face plastered with rain as he and the lifeless body of Lilly lay in his arms. “You had no right to bring her here. Not upon my ship...not now!” The doctor soon was flanked by Mr. Davis. “She once was someone you cared for. Do you not care any longer? She loves you. Even an old fool such as me can see that. Now you feel nothing?!” The shouts of the doctor now could be heard over the storm and the crewe now took notice. “Love is not a fleeting thing, Captain. She called for you whilst sick with feaver…she called for you. I beg you Captain…be merciful and let me tend to her.”

The Captain stood there for a moment and looked about his deck. “Give her to me.” He asked Reiley. Reiley soon handed over the body of Lilly and the Captain cradled her in his arms. As the ship pitched, he walked towards the Captain’s quarters.

“Lilly?” The Captain called for her. Her eyes opened slowly. “John? Johnny?” She said as she came to. “I love you so. I wish I had been truthful with you and we would be married now. “Shh.” He said holding her close as he made his way to the rail. “What is done is done. No ill will, I promise you."

Member of "The Forsaken"