Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Aurore sat limp to the ground below, huddled against structure wall and uncaring to the filth that gathered there. A numbness of psychological defense crept over her being as tears washed her face; salt and pure intermingling on toffee tinctured plains.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“¡No aceptaré el fracaso!” Ulises roared between gritted teeth.

His heavy arm pressed tightly against the crewman’s throat, the man’s face turned red with the effort of breathing. His hands scrambled for purchase, digging ineffectively into the furious Capitán arm. The other crewman lay behind them, a thickening pool of blood pouring from where a shot had ripped through his side. Dead eyes stared vacantly to the ceiling of the small room. The fools had let Striker’s woman escape. Rage burned in Ulises’ chest. He would see the girl gutted alongside the captain simply for the hassle she was causing him. Still he was certain she was the key to the Dane’s downfall.

Ulises signed, dropping the man into a gasping heap on the floor. He kicked the still warm corpse at his feet as he passed. His sight drifted out the small window as an arch of lightening split the sky. Dark clouds filled the space above the city, curving over the horizon in a menacing manner. The crease in his tanned brown deepened. He had been so sure that luck was on his side only a few hours ago. Now it seemed everything was conspiring against him.

“Me cago en Dios” he muttered.

A lifetime on the water had taught him much about weather. The menacing winds, the swirling clouds, the sheets of rain, all indicated a severe tempest. This was the kind of storm that devoured ships without a care. He turned crisply, glaring at the crumpled man on the floor still struggling for air.

“Vuelva al barco. Tómela alrededor del lado del Este de la isla. Espere tres días solamente. Entonces regresa al río y buscas para mi aqui. Comprende?”

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Bess had fallen asleep in the arms of Mr. Davis. The hearthstone now cold and the winds howling so loudly that it woke her from her well needed rest. She looked down at her beloved. Perhaps it would be best to let him lay. She thought to herself. After spending hours fighting the fire she thought it would be best. If the good doctor requested his assistance, she would make sure that she would wake him soon enough. Slowly, she slipped from his side. Soon she started a fire in the hearth.

As the fire burned she wrapped her shawl around her as she looked out the window of the Three Crowns. She had never seen the weather turn so before. She quickly dashed to the upstairs to see if the good doctor and Mistress Lilly were safe. Upon reaching the top of the stairs she saw the good doctor existing Mistress McKinney’s room. “Good, I need assistance!” And with that Doctor Rieley grabbed Bess’ hand and pulled her into the room.

“Would you not want Mr. Davis?” She whispered as the doctor pulled the sweat drenched sheet from Lilly’s bedside. “There is no time. She has taken with fever. I’ve seen this before. She could drown if I don’t work quickly.” “Drown? I don’t understand? How can one drown on land?” Bess asked as the Doctor push a basin into her hand. “Fetch water and I’ll need my bag…quickly girl. Then we must flee to the Archangel! We cannot stay here. There is a horrid storm approaching and no one will be safe.”

Bessbeingcalledout.jpg

Bess Hagarty - Indentured Servant

without taking his eyes away from the young sailor he answered the man that had invited him to the funeral feast for Anna Rae.

"Sorry boyo , I have my ship to see too. Just needed to see the siren that was calling me . The next drinks are on me !"

Striker withdrew a small pouch with coins from his coat and threw it on the table before the gawking crowd. The coins made sounds as they hit the hard wodden surface .

The door to the inn flew open , blowing sand and leaves between the patrons and tables. Striker turned his attention to the man standing in the doorway . It was one of his men. Before the sailor in the doorway could say anything Striker gestured with his right hand for him to stay still and not utter a word.

"As I said I will be on my way , good day to all of ye " He made a deep bow to the young sailor which he knew was Jane , turned and walked towards the door.

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

As the Spaniard went into the Inn, Ian and I smiled at each other. From the opening of the alley I heard a noise and cocked my pistol. "Shhh... wot was dat?" Ian put his back against the wall and behind a stack of broken crates and I stepped back into a doorway. Slowly the drunk man from the tavern who called himself Reid poked his head further into the alley where we hid. Lightning and thunder lit the sky and rumbled in our ears. From the flash of lightning to the thumberclap a few seconds passed. The man ventured deeper into the alley towards us and I slowly drew my pistol and pointed it at him. Closer he came. At ten feet away a bolt of lightening lit him up, I waited for the thunder and when it came I fired, hitting him in the chest. His scream was drowned out by the thunderclap and he dropped to the ground. Ian was upon him just as he hit the ground. I followed and watched as Ian slit his throat. "Tha gonna do im. Drunken sod. " We riffled throught his still warm body and found much gold, silver and a fine brooch. His pistols were now ours and so were his blades. He had nice clothes, but they were covered in his blood now. At the next flash of lightening we were gone in the wind seeking another tavern or inn to hole up in.

Titim gan éirí ort.

Go mbeire an diabhal leis thú

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

I waited for the thunder and when it came a fired, hitting him in the chest. His scream was drowned out by the thunderclap and he dropped to the ground.

"Sweet Jesus," Sterling mumbled, his head coming up at the sound. He listened intently to confirm the shot and scream he thought he had heard. As a low rumble gathered strength and soon exploded with another loud burst of thunder, he looked back down the alley to where he had left Aurore. He listened once again, heard nothing remarkable, then gathered himself, raising to his feet. Completely soaked through, there was not much else he could do now but force his wife to come along with him.

"Chere," he called to her as he made his way back through the alley. He found her sitting upon the ground, her skirts as soaked through as his own clothing. He went down on one knee next to her, cautiously placing one hand upon her wrist. "Come with me Chere. Ye cannot stay here. Neither of us can. We must continue on to the ship. Please..."

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Tear ravaged eyes looked to where his hesitant hand lay then to the skies, a sudden jolt of lightning gave smallish start to huddled posturing.

Slowly, Aurore regained standing, focus cast to the mire below.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Her lack of fervor, although understandable, disturbed him. Her fear gnawed at his insides until he felt as if he would be ill. Against his better judgment, he moved to her and lifted her in his arms. Teeth ground hard together against the agony that shot through his left side, he moved her out of the alleyway and back to the chaise. Assisting her back inside, he hastily informed Stephen to act in accordance with their original plans. Then he went to take his seat, no longer perched beside Abernathy, but beside his wife. Good arm moved protectively about her shoulders and he pulled her to him.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

She allowed the comfort of Sterling's warmth as the carriage jerked back to life. When she finally spoke it was in almost ghostly qualities, "I do not understand what you mean by your acuisation. My old lover is many years dead..."

"Although there may not have been anything physical between you and Christophe, he still loves ye all the same," Sterling said quietly. "He is becoming... more... " he stopped and shook his head.

Crewe of the Archangel

"What makes you say such? In Paris he saved me from...." She shook her head rapidly. "Non....it is just the affection felt beween dear companions...I...."

Aurore sat a little straighter and centered full attention on Sterling's face, " I do not understand what you are saying...."

He watched her as she fixed her gaze on him.

" I do not understand what you are saying...."

He could dismiss it as nothing, he could lie to her and be secured in her love for him or he could...he felt the illness seize hold of him but knew he needed to tell her the truth.

"Christophe is in love with you, Aurore. He was planning to ask Andre for your hand when the time was right. But then ..." his voice trailed off, his gaze shifting to the view outside.

Crewe of the Archangel

The carriage stuttered in motion as rear wheel caught wash out and hung briefly before moving forward again. The rains backed off a fraction in steadfast assult upon wooden shell and Aurore took a deep shuddering breath.

"This cannot be a truth...and.....and it matters not for it is the past and not the future."

"Tis true Chere," he said. He closed his eyes, drawing in a deep breath before reopening them again. He would not look at her, his focus still drawn to the storm outside. He could not bare to see her expression now that she knew how the Frenchman really felt about her. Despite her words, Sterling knew it now changed everything.

Crewe of the Archangel

"Tis true Chere," he said. He closed his eyes, drawing in a deep breath before reopening them again.  He would not look at her, his focus still drawn to the storm outside. He could not bare to see her expression now that she knew how the Frenchman really felt about her.  Despite her words, Sterling knew it now changed everything.

She digested his clarification, breathing slowly in effort to remain calm to revealings. The quays drew closer and minutes passed with nothing but the cadance of nature's angered symphony rolling land and sea as sound. Aurore reached for Sterling's near hand, cradling it with both of her own.

"Je t'aime, Sucre'...."

He remained still, and yet his breath caught inside him as she spoke, his heart raced as she took his hand and his relief at her words caused him to blink away tears so that she did not judge him as weak as he was.

"I am sorry Chere. Worn am I and in need of some true rest."

Then his head came down, eyes closing as face came to rest, buried in wounded hand.

"Je ne sais pas comment je survivrais jamais maintenant, sans vous," he breathed.

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore brought his captured hand to the fullness of her lips and laid kiss upon fingers. "J'ai besoin de tu maintenant plus que jamais, Sucre'.

Captured hand shifted, fingers moving to encircle Aurore's. He turned to her, mouth closing gently over soft lips, his kiss lingering before forehead came to rest against forehead and fingers smoothed over silken cheek. He kissed her again, this time the hunger of his passion making him to draw her closer before he finally whispered, "We shall survive all this Chere. All of it."

He made to kiss her once more and spied Meagan watching from the corner of his good eye. For a moment he choked under the young girl's scrutiny, then he straightened, looked down at his young wife and blushed so red that Aurore finally smiled.

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore slyed a glance to where Meagan had sat silent thruout all and gave a wink causing youthful laughter to ring compartment. Chaise slowed then came to halt, rain's pace regained former stregnth to the accompaniment of wind's banshee howl.

As vehicle stopped, Sterling, colour returning to normal upon his face, gave a reassuring squeeze to lover's hand.

"Wait here but be prepared to move quickly. Let us hope Mr. March has not yet put out of the harbour. If he hasn't, the boat will be waiting close by with either bosun or his mate and crew. If he hasn't," Sterling thought a moment, considering storm, there would be hell to pay if it were not for you."

Crewe of the Archangel

She watched after, wiping condesation from carriage glass and trying to make sense of shapes on water's surface. Vehicle was felt to shift as Stephen left driver's perch to tend nervous horse, a solitary vigillant where once there were two..

"My God, Captain!"

Sterling heard a shout from a nearby tavern. He turned as the Archangel's bosun swaggered from the cover of tavern door toward drowned rat form of superior officer.

"Mr. de Dogge. Ah safe and sound I see," Sterling said and could not help but chuckle at the look on the bosun's face as rain plummetted into his grog.

"Aye Captain, braving the storm as it were, not running like some the landsmen here about. Although," he gave the skies a good hard look. "Tis faring less well then before. Will be a bit of a wee fight, but I be thinking we still have plenty of time to out run the witch."

"Then we shall indeed. Gather yer boat crew. They've a long pull before we're home."

Crewe of the Archangel

Lilly felt herself being tugged and pulled from her resting place. The warmth of hands lay upon her as she soon drifted forward. At first, shapes and shadows were all that she could distinguish between the two worlds she was traveling within. Soft words were echoed then silence once again.

The doctor pulled her body forward, trying to force her to sit up in her bed. “Mr. Davis?!” Doctor Reiley called out to him. The sound of heavy footfall made its way to the doorway of the room. “Here, I am here!” Bess suddenly appeared behind Mr. Davis carrying the basin. “How be the weather outside?” The good doctor asked his assistant. “The storm is moving closer. The winds have already blown debris about the streets. It won’t be long before we see more damage.” “Well then.” Said Rieley as he gathered Lilly’s body up into his arms, “We must not waste time! Gather up what you have and be quick about it. We are going to the Archangel for safety. I just hope that it hasn't made its way out to sea by now. We must work quickly. I fear that our Mistress is gravely ill.” Mr. Davis looked over at Bess for a moment then back at the Doctor. “Now!”

Like scurrying rats, the two of them followed Dr. Reiley out of the room and down to the main floor. As the door to the inn was open the driving wind and rain now made the task at hand even more difficult. “Fetch the carriage, Mr. Davis!” Yelled Reiley over the din of the storm. It was then Lilly stirred and looked up at Reiley. Her skin now was pale and her sunken eyes pleaded only for peace. “Let me die. I wish it.” It was then Reiley’s heart stopped for a moment. Suddenly, the image of a young girl came forward, the pang of shame and the deep feeling of remorse all came pouring in on him at that very moment. “No.” He said shaking his head. “I shall not have you give up. You, Mistress are in capable hands and you will get better.” He watch her eyes flutter and roll back into her head as she collapsed once more. “MR. DAVIS! THE CARRIAGE AT ONCE!”

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Jane knew her charade was pointless. The Anna Rae was unlikely to survive the storm secured to the docks. With the ship went any reason she had to continue pretending to be Charles Chole. The disguise was never meant to be a long term solution. It was her fear of change that kept it up longer than necessary. Her chest felt suddenly heavy as Striker bowed deeply before her. The move felt so final. She couldn’t tear her eyes away as he turned, striding purposefully towards the tavern door. The unbalanced stool toppled backwards as she hastened after the departing captain, ignoring the wondering looks from the crew.

“Captain Striker” Jane caught his arm only a few steps outside the tavern entrance. Sheets of rain pounded into the thin layers of the suddenly uncomfortable work clothes, running in cold rivets down the back of her neck. “I, ah, um.” She stammered, unable to think of the words that would take them back to the intimacy of only a day earlier.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

The rain continued to deluge on us. We had left the still warm body of the drunkard in the alley and ran down the alleyway to the wharf, finding a darkened covered stoop. Several lanterns dotted the harbor hanging from sterncastles on the myriad of traders and warships in Port Royal harbor. Our eyes scanned the scene looking for the La Maligna. Bolts of lightning crossed the sky like scars ripping open the black veil of night. Following it's well-lit brother, claps of thunder rolled across the landscape keeping what townsfolk may be about inside for the evening. "D'ya see 'er Liam?" I asked my brother. He frowns, "n't yet." The rain now comes in sheets creating puddles and rivulets where the carriages rode through town. We squint and move from awning to stoop down the wharf looking for our target in the harbor.

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3