Tall Ships Festival

Cap'n Pete Straw

From the official ticket website:

August 4-9

Tall Ships® Chicago 2006

Tall Ships® Chicago 2006 will highlight Chicago's rich maritime history, and emphasize the role of the river and lake in the city's birth and development. Located on more than 500,000 square feet of festival grounds, including the Chicago River, from Wabash Avenue to Lake Shore Drive, NavyPier® and DuSable Harbor, this year's festival promises to be a display of vessels reminiscent of the majestic lakefront of the 1800s.

Access to the festival grounds along the Chicago River, DuSable Harbor and Navy Pier is free. Individual wristbands, which serve as boarding passes must be purchased to board vessels. A separate wristband must be purchased for each day that boarding is available, August 4-9. Wristbands are $11 per day, or available at a group rate of $9 per day with a purchase of twenty or more in one transaction.

... More detail on the indicated website.

Lady Barbossa, I started this topic so we can talk about the event HERE, instead of the various Port Washington threads (and I saw another Tall Ships Festival thread, but that was for the state of Washington).

As I indicated elsewhere, I will be in Chicago that week (my office window overlooks Lake Michigan), although the weekend of the 4th I will likely be in Kentucky.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Tis a pity.

I pray, either way, will see ya. Again, not sure when I will be in Chicago for the event. I at least want to see the good Captain of the Royaliste... and this infamous ship. :)

~Lady B

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago will definitely be a kick; altho we're not doing any battle sails as of yet...No problem, tho', as we are locked, cocked, and ready to rock at dockside!..Plenty of action, swordsmen and women, historical artifacts, our usual extensive weapons array, and seven days of fun!.....and, as a shameless plug, check out this preview of 'True Carribean Pirates'..... Pyrate Clip

:ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Well, here it comes...

My son must go back to his mother's home the weekend of the 5th. And I have a family reunion on Kentucky on August 5 (not to mention a conflicting CW reenactment as well as a church obligation all that same day).

... What to do? What to do?

I think my son (William the Bloody) and I may plan to go downtown Chicago on Friday, August 4, in our pirate regalia (It's the final day of my vacation) and see some ships. If you're planning to be there on that day, let me know.

... But if you are in, say, a great big ship, you don't have to tell me: I'll find you.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I had to work today (downtown Chicago), but was able to see the Tall Ships gather at their starting point (near the Adler Planetarium) and then slowly make their way single file along the lake toward Navy Pier (and points beyond?). [My office window overlooks Lake Michigan]

I wish I had been able to watch it at leisure, instead of turning around every five to ten minutes to watch it for another moment...

Of course, I will be back at work next week, and might be able to actually get over to where they will be docked. But I oficially saw them today. Cool.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I went! I saw them! It was the final day they were in Chicago, and I had only a two-hour window for an extended lunch hour, but I grabbed a cab & shot over to Navy Pier and saw several of the ships.

Quite awesome.

Unfortunately, it turned out that more than half the ships were moored on the Chicago River, and not at Navy Pier. This was a short trolly ride away, but I just didn't have the time to go see the rest.

What's worse, the Royaliste was moored at an entirely different location. And that was the one ship I was really hoping to see. Also, it was at a location which was conceivably within walking distance from my office ... if I had only known before I set out...

Anyway, I took entirely too many photos... but mostly of the rigging (so they all look pretty much the same). I will post some here, as soon as I can get my camera to cybernetically talk with my computer.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I actually got some pictures. Here are a few.

The Nina is in the foreground...

f6a6777d.jpg

Most of my shots are of the rigging... and I took far too many. So, here is one. I shall not bore you with the rest.

5d26da80.jpg

While trying to get a picture of the Windy, a gull sailed within my shot. Turned out pretty cool...

494eac4e.jpg

I also got a shot of the Windy with the Chicago skyline as a backdrop...

0ea7d2d2.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg