flintlock confusion

Hi,

I am ready to purchase my first flintlock. I know some of these questions have been asked before and I did do some research here on the pub and found helpful advice but I need to know more.

First let me say that I am a responsible adult who sfter buying the pistol would want to know the right way to handle, clean and operate it. I am sincere in my interest and hold a healthy respect for any firearms.

To have a better understanding how it works and what would cause trouble in the future would a kit be better way to go?

How complicated are they to put together if you have had no hands on experience with them? I've only read what I could. I've also found a black powder group in my area that I hope I can find a helpful soul to help me learn proper use.

If a kit is not the right way to go for me, does anyone have a reliable used Queen Anne? Should I buy a new one? Who would you recommend? Who would you recommend for shot, powder...etc.?

In an earlier post Cascabel said he had an article in NQG concerning flintlocks. Does anyone know what issue it was in?

My interest is serious and I plan on buying one by the end of the month.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Silverhearted Maggie

Long Live the crew of the CrimsonPermanent Assurance!

This is where I bought my pistol. Very good quality... once touch hole is drilled it is ready for use.

Flintlocks

I would find a local gunsmith for all of your questions... not gunshop... but gunsmith.If you happened to be in Atlanta I'd tell you who I trust.

:unsure: Barbossa II ;)

I'm in Birmingham, not far from Atlanta at all. If you prefer not to post you can PM me.

How many times have you fired yours? Have you had any problems? Which model did you get? Sorry, just curious...

Thanks for the link!

Maggie

Long Live the crew of the CrimsonPermanent Assurance!

In an earlier post Cascabel said he had an article in NQG concerning flintlocks. Does anyone know what issue it was in?

Those are the most recent NQG's and continuing to next month's issue. If you contact Jamaica Rose at NQG, you can back order the other issues of Cascabel's 3 part series. Just drop her an email.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

In an earlier post Cascabel said he had an article  in NQG concerning flintlocks. Does anyone know what issue it was in?

Those are the most recent NQG's and continuing to next month's issue. If you contact Jamaica Rose at NQG, you can back order the other issues of Cascabel's 3 part series. Just drop her an email.

Aye, only Part 1 has been published so far. The second part will be in the next issue, and I have not yet submitted the third part, but it will be ready in time for the issue after that. The first part deals with selection of your weapon, Part 2 deals with Theory of Operation and Making it Work, and the last part will be about care, cleaning and maintenance.

Lots of detailed info, I think you will like it......

>>>>> Cascabel

Maggie after having purchased 1 gun from each., Military heritage.,a sea service pistol. 2 Middlesex trading village company a Ketland trade pistol. 3 Cherrys a custom ordered Petrosoli Brass Queen Anne . 4 Loyalist Arms 1763 french flintlock.

I would say to you simple is better., if you buy from a company in America., you wont need to see a gunsmith to drill your vent., that would limit you to Cherrys.,or Middlesex or Dixie. I would like to say the pedrosoli Queen anne is a better machined gun than all of the above. I love all my pistols but the Pedrosoli has the benefit of EXACTING PARTS.

Pedrosoli is an italian maker thats been doing this a long time and has spent hundreds of thousands on tooling for a gun manufactoring plant., you will get a "More precision" tooled peice. with better parts inter changability in case you do need a part down the road sometime., for example a new frizzen. These parts are exacting from gun to gun....., this is the differance the others cannot identify with. This limits more expense on a gunsmith again. I would recomend buying it assembled for the 15 bux extra. Also i would buy it from Dixie., They are a large company and keep these in stock. (I waited 9 months with Cherrys) IF I were You I would buy a Queen Anne from Dixie Gun Works and then find someone to help you learn a little bit .

you can use a priming flask and a 2nd flask for loading. I use GOEX 2f black powder in mine for both., they say 3f or 4f for priming because it ignites easier? Well a pedrosoli Q&A puts out plenty of spark to lite up 2f everytime.

Another thing., this is a lighter and smaller gun than the others. easier to carry all day., and is still a heavy hitter at .50 caliber.

Do yourself a favor., get a cleaning brush and a threaded ramrod., so you can inter change from cleaning brush to ram to worm. (A worm will retreive stuck patches ect.,

Whenyou buy the gun spend 30 dollars and get these cleaning items.,keep them in a small plastic tool box or something dedicated to your new Q & A .

If you need help., PM me and I will give you a part No# list from Dixie for these cleaning itemsand help you do an order.

Clean you toy everytime., Black Powder is corrosive to your gun. Also if you wanna see how it feels to fire kinda.,

you can load it with Black Powder and no ball., about a 1/4 slice of bread., this will help you get used to the smoke and the way it fires., and train you not to flinch.

:D Good Luck Maggie :D

HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Maggie,

I tried replying to your email. It bounced. I bought an English Dragoon. I have fired it countless times. No problems whatsoever. My Gunsmith's shop is Deercreek in Marietta GA. I'd be surprised if they are on the web. It is the only place I trust with my guns... I have several expensive and collectible firearms.

Joey

:unsure: Barbossa II :lol:

Edited by Barbossa II

silverhearted maggie, something else you might want to consider... Find your local gunshop (one that carrys blackpowder supplies,) and check out if they have a list and dates for blackpowder shoots, or living history event that are close to you...... then go to one, and ask questions....lots of questions..... let them know what your are interested in, and you will get more information than you will ever need.... people that fire blackpowder are real frendly, and are willing to help a newcommer....... just ask.....

Maggie,

I tried replying to your email. It bounced. I bought an English Dragoon. I have fired it countless times. No problems whatsoever. My Gunsmith's shop is Deercreek in Marietta GA. I'd be surprised if they are on the web. It is the only place I trust with my guns... I have several expensive and collectible firearms.

Joey

:D Barbossa II :D

I also attempted to reply to you, Maggie. Let us know when you get your e-mail fixed, and I can help you out.

>>>>>> Cascabel

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my pistol, a late 17th-very early 18th century English doglock dragoon which was used in the "heyday" of the GAoP, from Loyalist Arms, in Nova Scotia. It is a beauty in .64 caliber, and Loyalist Arms' service and friendliness was, in my opinion, unparalleled. I believe if you give them a try, you will not be sorry. The pistol comes ready to fire, no gunsmithing involved. For ammo and supplies, I would recommend Dixie Gunworks out of Tennessee. B)

P.S. I'm not terribly far from Birmingham, I live in Southwest Georgia, about 35 miles south of Ft. Benning and Columbus.

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)