Literature of a Pyratical Bent

Saucy Kate

I am, well, obscenely well-read. (I'm also well obscenely-read- just finished Fanny Hill, Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure) But my (figurative) pirate literature merit badge is far off. Exceptin' the immortal Treasure Island, what is on the absolute must-read, neccessary to leading a truly pirate lifestyle reading list? I find that pirates are few and far between on my bookshelf. Suggestions? Anything vaguely piratical is encouraged!!!! I need something to read!!!

The Libidinous, Literature-Lusting Lass,

Saucy Kate

:ph34r:

Guest Pyrate Molly

I highly recommend Sharon and Tom Curtis's THE WINDFLOWER. It was marketed in the 80s as a romance, but is well researched, extremely witty, and very sensual in a lavender prose way. Definitely my favorite libidinous pirate romance. :)

I would suggest both the Patrick O'Brien series, as well as the Hornblower series. They're not necessarily piratical, but nautical enough that they should be considered on the must read list. Without a good understanding of seamanship and that dreaded Navy, then ye be not a pirate for long.

Coastie04 :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I'd say ye read the usual like Under the Black Flag and such. I just finish The Wake of the Perdido Star by Gene Hackman (the actor). It's very good

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Well, it ain't about pirates per se, but ' Cap'n Nat Herreshoff-the Wizard of Bristol' will dial you in on real ship stuff from the late 1800's to early 1900's on the worlds oceans...The Boys from Bristol built the ships to outrun the revenooers and sail from the U.S. to Africa, trade for slaves, take the slaves to the Carribean and trade for sugar, and bring to the U.S. to make the rum. Not all pretty, but the United States best ever naval archetect....built the ships that won and kept the Cup in America for a very long time.

One of my favorite series: The Brethren of the Coast by James L. Nelson. Three books: The Guardship, Blackbirder, and The Pirate Round. Nelson is an excellent storyteller and worked a tall ship for many years. (He can use nautical and shipboard jargon without leaving lubbers like me glassy eyed--which happens when I try to read authors like O'Brien. :rolleyes: )

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Ah, a good question to ask, Saucy Kate. 'Bout to ask these pyrates tha' same question meself. O'Brien's language is a wee bit intimidatin' fer those not accustomed to nautical language. Good books, though, well, tha's what I hears, anyway. NQG's list of pirate-related literature is quite long, and I wouldn't know where to start!

Captain Wolfy Wench