Pyrate Kittys

I wasn't sure if I should post this in Capt. Twill or in Beyond Pyracy..... but decided that cats aboard ship were period, and no matter how bad Pyrates may have been, they still were human, and would give the ships cat a scratch behind the ear.....

I can't find exact documintation that Pyrate ships had cats aboard, but common sence would say that they did..... cats kill rats, and rats, distroy the food that a ships crew would want to eat..... I can't remember any bad superstitions (other than black cats ) that would keep cats off a ship....

SO.... I can see where this can get very "light hearted" and go off on funny cat storys..... OK... so what.... even themost hard core reenactors will give a kitty a scratch behind the ears.....

Yeah, but common sense ain't that common... :lol:

I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion, Pat. Remember that there were definite times in history when cats were considered evil creatures, minions of the devil, familiars of witches, and not just 'nice kitties'. To be honest, I don't know anything about the feeling towards cats in the late 17th/early 18th century. But keep in mind that they were not always seen as helpful fuzzy companions. Sometimes they were seen as pests.

There was this great program on TV a number of years ago about the cat's popularity in human society --from being worshipped as gods by the ancient Egyptians to being thought of as minions of Satan by... I can't remember who but it strikes me as something 17th century... It was a very interesting show.

Dogs, on the other hand, have always been beloved... :)

Kass

Cat Hater General

:lol:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Kass, it's funny you should mention the fact that cats were worshipped as gods for centuries. They most certainly have not forgotten this fact. :lol:

Gotta run - our resident goddess just barfed up her breakfast. :lol:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Very Amusing....

Ships Cats do interest me, as a point of fact, there are certain breeds that are concidered to be excellent aboard, like the Mainecoone for one...

ANd as for the 'cursed black cat'... that is an American superstition, probably due to the Salem and other witch hunts/trials here...

Only in America is the black cat unlucky... as another point of fact, in europe if a white cat crossed you path, that was concidered unlucky...

Funny ol' world, innit?

I feel about cats that way they feel about me... loved by some, hated by others...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Cats were aboard ships. Pirate or otherwise. So common they were rarely mentioned. Why? Rats! that's why! Praticality outwieghs some superstitions. (Scratch ship's aged kitty behind ears)

Edited by Red Maria

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

It would be benifical for some thing to be on board and kill the mice and rats that would get on board. Now I could see that cats have a natural advantage here. But remember there were breeds of dogs like the Terrier that were used to kill rodents also.

Precisely! And although the justification that they were so common they were never mentioned could also be applied to dogs. But I wouldn't assert that dogs were kept onboard ships unless I had references to them either.

I have a couple references to cats in the GAoP and none of them are by what one would call cat lovers... But I know nothing about what would and would not be aboard a ship.

Why Maria, whatever do you mean??!?!?! :unsure:

Ok, much later period, but I do know of a dog kept onboard a working sailing vessel (the Peking). In the famous b&w film of her sailing around the Horn there are a few shots of the dog scampering about the deck.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Rat Terriers were dogs bred specifically for catching vermin in small places. As a bonus, they're also rather football-shaped, which would give the crew something to pass the time with if they got bored. :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Okay, this I'm sorting a period fictional source, and I don't even have the work in front of me, and I have no idea if this is even mentioned, but...

Didn't Defoe mention the ships dog and ships cats in "Robinson Crusoe?" And even though Defoe isn't necessarily Captain Johnson, didn't hehave some considerbale maritime experience?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Okay, this I'm sorting a period fictional source, and I don't even have the work in front of me, and I have no idea if this is even mentioned, but...

Didn't Defoe mention the ships dog and ships cats in "Robinson Crusoe?" And even though Defoe isn't necessarily Captain Johnson, didn't hehave some considerbale maritime experience?

Hmmm. Now there's a source I would believe, Jack, even though it's fictional. Defoe is at least writing during the Golden Age of Piracy. These other assertions that "the sailor's bond with cats goes back to Ancient Egypt" just strikes me as being incredibly undocumented. But Defoe is writing in our period about real thing.

Of course he kinda loses me after Moll Flanders... :lol:

It was a sailor's superstition at one time that drowning a cat would bring up a wind when the ship was becalmed. I don't know if that tale goes back to the Golden Age, though.

OK.... My cat made me post this in the first place..... right after he had me send a protest to PETA....... dang... I have (or it has me... we still debate that part of it...) Oh well whatever........

Anyway.... finding if cats aboard ship durring the GAoP is period or not, is not a top priority for me.... but I will keep looking..... Kinda funny how you look for something else... then the info you were originaly looking for... just kinda "pops-up"..... hopefully this will also happen with finding "documintation" about cats aboard ships during the GAoP.......

Common sence, and fokelore are one thing..... I still wanna find a period reference......

I really hope so.... or my cat will get really mad at me........... :lol:

There's actually a breed of dog called the "Schipperkin", which means "Little Captain". They originated - or were heavily used as - shipboard ratters, and pets.

Or so the story goes.

My neighbor has one.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

It was a sailor's superstition at one time that drowning a cat would bring up a wind when the ship was becalmed. I don't know if that tale goes back to the Golden Age, though.

Oh then, by all means, one MUST have several aboard ship.... B)

Considering that dogs and cats were destroyed by the hundreds during the plaque in the 1660s, one wonders if they were still thought suspect toward the end of the century? If they were, surely folks knew enough that illness spreads quickly in confined areas, so maybe cats and dogs were not favored until later? Just a thought....

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/