The Davinci Code

Wow, nice post, HarborMaster.

The religeonsthat came morerecent ., last few hundreds of years., or a millenium ago., are really late anyway when you consider the age of man. how can you believe essentially a new idea.

That's why 4 out of 5 choosey mothers choose Taoism for their children...you can't beat a belief system that started around the time Man did...

Of course to the enuducated (Most of the globe) masses many things are believable., especially where freedom does not ring. God Bless America., I can choose what I think in this or any other debate.

Awww...but now you play the "uneducated" and "Patriot" cards...damn. And you were doing so well, too...

;)

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us here live in a country where we can choose what we believe. We are in fact very very lucky. We also live in a country where we can afford things like a computer an internet. public libraries and we have free speech. Well old religeons may not always be correct. Ra wasnt on the top of my list. But yea Taoism is as old as anyone can trace., and thats hard to argue with . "Got Zen"? ;)

(PiratePhil) dont get me wrong.,I am educated enough about freedom to know I am not getting enough of it or at least what I really want .,and thats why I am setting up my life to be gettin what I believe., is., more of it (freedom) and sooner as opposed to later. ;)

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Don't get me wrong - it's a great country, probably one of the best for certain things, even with all it's faults.

But sometimes we can't choose what we want to believe, as in...

"I believe I'll skip paying my taxes this year"

"I believe I'll smoke a joint"

"I believe I'll go get a job - oops - too late - an illegal alien (I mean, "uninvited guest") just took it"

;)

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

you got me there .,somethings we cant do ., that we may want to do., your right., but we can think them., and we can educate our own selves if we choose to. There are places in the world with more freedom than in the U.S. The few that there is arent necessarily better....., just differant. But if its freedom your after...., its out there.,you just have to go get it.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Wars historically have always been over 2 things only., No#1 is religeon. and No#2 is property.,

I disagree.

I say Religion and Money.

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

Property is something someone owns...................., including money or all things worth money..,ie someone elses property. Religion still being the No#1 cause of war.

It's interesting to me that the top causes of murders are over tangible possesions such as, Drugs, Money, women/men/spouse, and cars.

but a belief or intangible idea can cause genocide.

Strange 'ol world idn't it?

Well, I saw the movie this weekend, and it was kinda of a yawn. I'm no Tom Hanks fan, and to me he was totally miscast in this part (face of wax), and seemed to be sleepwalking through it. Paul Bettany, whom I do like, played an okay Silas, but where were the red eyes, which Brown made such a point of in the book? Best is show was Ian McKellan.

As for the premise that Jesus was married—why not? For an adult Jewish male of the period, it was almost an obligation. He was raised "human" so why not marry? To me it makes more sense than celebacy. Were I to find out that he did mary, it would not "rock my world." I'd probably go "cool," and then wonder who or if there is a decendant.

Like it has already been said, Religion isn't usually about faith, so much as power. The Catholic church has been really good at, "If you can't beat 'um, assimilate 'um" (or burn them at the stake).

I think it's sad that in all major religions, there are tenets for getting along with your fellow humans, yet so few seem inclined to follow those tenets.

The planet is getting more and more crowded. When we're all living nose to nose, maybe we'll finally figure it out. Then again ???? :rolleyes:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Property is something someone owns...................., including money or all things worth money..,ie someone elses property. Religion still being the No#1 cause of war.

AHH now I sees says the blind man. I was more looing at direct compensation for whatever product.

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."