Pirate board game reviews

Pew

Non-computer types.

I'd like to get some for our students here at school and need some reviews as to spend the doubloons wisely.

I saw Bilgemunky had some descriptions of the various games that are coming out.

BUT, what pirate "board games" that are currently on the market, do you have that you enjoy?

With your kids . . . drinking buddies . . . Rennfaire mates . . . crew . . .

Any links, pics and/or prices would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

:D

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Well Captain PEW, ye certainly started in the right place. Bilge Monkey be a right fine place to measure the goods before ye drop yer doubloons!

Personally, I bought Pirate's Cove from Days of Wonder on a whim and it has supplied quite a few fun nights. The advantage to this game is that it has relatively simple rules and a limited time. There are only 12 turns to the game. At the end of 12 turns, whoever has the highest fame wins...makes for enjoyable play that prevents "Risk" like occasions where 2 or 3 people get knocked out right away and have to wait 3 hours for the other 2 or 3 to finish the game. We can get 2 or 3 games of Pirate's Cove in a night.

Also, Wizkids Pirates of the Spanish Main is a nice Beer and Pretzels type of collectible card game. The ships are uber cool looking and again, simple rules and enjoyable game play.

As for Pirate's Cove, you can buy from Amazon, your local game shop, and ebay, but the cheapest I've seen is here: http://www.fairplaygames.com/gamedisplay.a....asp?gameid=822 $32.95

Enjoy!

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

The family and I are fond of Dread Pirate by Front Porch Classics: Link to the Dread Pirate Bookshelf edition page Pricey, but fun, and well made. The bookshelf edition is half the cost of the one in the treasure chest.

We also like Pirates of the Spanish Main, as Philip mentioned.

Here's the Link

One downside about this one is the ships are a little fragile, so as a school item they are not likely to hold up. On the other hand, it is inexpensive to get started (at least before you get addicted to the card collecting, heheheh) and the kids are likely to get into the collecting/trading aspect. You can also have a lot of fun tweaking the rules: adding wind, weather, etc. messing with the combat,

There are also more detailed rules for miniatures gaming, such as Admiralty You supply your own minis. Haven't actually played it, but the rules look interesting.

Yeaaahhhhh . . about the POtSM card game . . . It's not as much a game as it is an obsession <_<

I think we have nearly all of the Spanish Main, Crimson Coast and most of Revolution ships and crew. The students (and I) actively play that ( and collect/ trade/etc), but it's hard to get a game in around lunch. B)

But any and all other games. . . I'd love to hear about

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Personally, I bought Pirate's Cove from Days of Wonder on a whim and it has supplied quite a few fun nights.  The advantage to this game is that it has relatively simple rules and a limited time.  There are only 12 turns to the game.  At the end of 12 turns, whoever has the highest fame wins...makes for enjoyable play that prevents "Risk" like occasions where 2 or 3 people get knocked out right away and have to wait 3 hours for the other 2 or 3 to finish the game.  We can get 2 or 3 games of Pirate's Cove in a night.

I actually have a friend who swears by this game and thinks it's one of the most fun things he has ever played. He's really huge into gaming, so I'll take him at his word. Out of a joke, he even gave the Seabeaver a little recognition by making his very own playing card for our ship...

Pirate's Cove - Seabeaver Card

Nevertheless, Bilgemunky's got a lot of good reviews on other pirate games.

"I like nachos. Mermaid nachos."

The Seabeaver - Official Website

Facebook

MySpace

Twitter

banner2.gif

:lol: That's priceless! I like that they included extra cards for making your own ideas. You guys put it to good use! :lol:

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

• 1 month later...

Regarding Pirate's Cove, there were an awful lot of rules to get started playing it (my three of my kids became quite impatient waiting for Mandatory Family Fun Night to get started). However, once we started playing, it was rather fun. Until the battles moved off the board to actually between the gamers... Ah, the fun parenting dynamics of trying to make your kids play a game together.

But my point is, I highly recommend this game. Just not with my kids.

I recently acquired a copy of Dread Pirate, and cannot wait to play it... Hopefully with someone other than my teenagers. The game and pieces looks great. No review from me yet. In fact, I found this thread to read what others may have said about this game.

I gather there is no point in adding my own deep support of the Pirates of the Spanish Main CCG.

I also saw that there is a Pirates of the Caribbean version of Monopoly. Nice looking pieces, and clever tie in to the theme. I would love to play this game, but I've tried playing Monopoly (Batman theme) with my kids, and my wife tried gnawing off her own arm to escape the horror.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Pete.. ya know I would join ya for a fair game of Dread Pirate if I could. Perhaps our next meeting we can give the game a spin.

::le sigh:: Though I wish that game would have been one of the prizes for the Ladies instead of just the men.

I can help you with Dread Pirate then you can help me with Sword & Skull.

OH! I did see at the Portico the PotC Pirates (Liars) Dice! Damn how I wanted SO DESPERATELY to buy that!

Apparently there is a pirate card game (can't remember the name) that my nephew (Bloody Davy Kidd) spotted at Wal Mart.. must attempt to pick it up sometime.

But one game currently that I will whole blackheartedly support is Morgan's Revenge! A simple game (despite it's gambling nature).. something so easy to do that even my 3 year old neice LOVES to play and she caught on quick! Use more coinage and some jewels...or even play with pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters, etc.

And I be with ya there, Pete... about Pirates! from WizKids. I haven't played it much recently. Both playing and collecting is exciting!

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Your local Toys R Us has a few games.

We have the Pirates of the Spainish Main and the new Davy Jones ones..

PotC Life, Battleship, Liars Dice, Chess and a new Treasure hunt game with DVD that is Potc related. This one runs $29.99 and comes with a free movie pass. *My eyes be on this one*

We also have Potc books one of which has a spyglass like the old spymasters with a little cartride to insert showing screencaps..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Cool.

I'll have to swing into Toys R Us and see if they actually have it. The local one here is rather poor on having a large variety of toys... more of a variety of clothes, movies, video games and books than toys. Sad, I know.

oh... nearly forgot to mention the new PotC Trading Card Game by Quickstrike/Upper Deck.

Found this at Wal Mart for a little over $10. I'm completely at a loss how to play it, though my nephew can understand it as it's like - as he explained - playing YuGiOh or something along those lines. The art is rather cool.

~Lady B

:lol:

Aye, RumbaRue, I have it but I haven't opened it yet.

I'm trying to get out on the 1st as me mate as secured a position with Duncan McGregor's cannon crew. (I like to shoot cannons). I'll try to remember to bring it along.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Since POTC II is opening this weekend, I broke out the monopoly game. I am somewhat disappointed in it. It looks like a rush job. The real estate is all changed, but the four corners are still marked as Go to Jail, Jail, Go and FREE PARKING. Geesh, you think they could have at least made it free docking. The 'docks' and "harbors" still look like houses and hotels. It should have been called "pub" or "mansion". Overall, the kids have had fun playing it 3 nights in a row.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I spotted yesterday (unfortunately didn't buy, poor pirate here) PotC Life board game for $19.99 and the 3-in-1 PotC:DMC Chest/Checkers/Liar's Dice game set for $29.99 both at Target.

Has anyone played the PotC DVD Interactive Trivia game?

Phillip... don't remember if it was called Skallywaggs.

~Lady B

<_<

Pete.. ya know I would join ya for a fair game of Dread Pirate if I could. Perhaps our next meeting we can give the game a spin.

::le sigh:: Though I wish that game would have been one of the prizes for the Ladies instead of just the men.

I only entered that contest because you showed me that Dread Pirate was the first prize. I saw swag I wanted -- and I got it. There were some in the audience that seemed to think I was a bit underhanded in my manipulation of teh judges and audience in getting the prize, but, hey: pirate.

But one game currently that I will whole blackheartedly support is Morgan's Revenge! 

Argh! I totally forgot about this game. I pillaged the coins from two sets I purchased to help fill up my showy treasure chest, but I keep the spinners (really dreidels) with my pirate gear so I can play anytime. As you said -- you just need a handful of coins. You can even play for PotSM cards!

Off this topic... I taught a local bartender how to make Grogtinis. She has served them to patrons seeking "somthing refreshing" and has received quite favorable reviews. She refuses to charge me for the drink whenever I come in (although she placed a limit on 2 free drinks) as fair exchange for the recipe. Guess where I do all my drinking?

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I spotted yesterday (unfortunately didn't buy, poor pirate here) PotC Life board game for $19.99 and the 3-in-1 PotC:DMC Chest/Checkers/Liar's Dice game set for $29.99 both at Target.

I also saw those yesterday at the local Target. Purchased a bicycle for myself... need to stop making XXL pirate clothing.

Regarding the Chess/Checkers set, I would like to purchase one, keep the chess pieces, and spray-paint the checkers (PotC Aztec gold coins!!) with gold paint and toss 'em into my treasure chest.

Has anyone played the PotC DVD Interactive Trivia game? 

Also saw that (for the first time) at Target yesterday.

Still want the Monopoly game... although it is cursed. If I try to play it with my kids, I know I will feel the eternal anguish of the living undead... an eternity of never-ending torment...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

:o

True. Tempting to do that with the Aztec Gold checker pieces.

I do want that game bad. Would be fun. I love Checkers and I want to learn Chess and Liar's Dice.

Monopoly is a curse, hmm? Poor Pete... just.. becareful if the weather turns ghastly and bleak as the fog swirls around.

I did finally pick up that cheap card game for young lads an' lasses. It's called "Loot". I haven't read the instructions yet... but I picked it up so that I can play it with my Nephew and Nieces. If not other pirates. It's a simple enough game I suppose.

~Lady B

:lol:

** CAUTION: POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT **

It is my understanding that there is a game of Liar's Dice played in PotC II (which is how it is learned that Davy Jones wears around his neck the key to the chest containing his still-beating heart)...

** POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT NOW ENDED **

... and the Liar's Dice cups in the aformentioned multi-game pack are modeled after the one used in the movie. Now I am going to purchase the game.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Evil, Pete. Evil.

I'd LOVE to get the 3-in-1. Poor College student here. So... I have to wait. :ph34r:

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Hold off on that dice game.

Oderlesseye bought it and we tried to play it, but there's lots of loop holes.

It's basically a liar's poker. The main problem is there's nothing for those who have or want to fold. The simple idea is to lie about what you really have and try to get others to believe you. If challenged, and you don't have it, you lose a dice. Well when you get down to three or less dice and others have more than you, there's no way you can beat them, unless you can cheat somehow.

I also thought it could use some poker chips for betting.

The dice are kind of cool, there's a skull and crossbones on one side, to represent a wild card.

The cups on the other hand, we weren't sure what they were suppose to be, something akin to a pier piling or doggy poo. Take your pick, they even come with fake barnacles.

Yes -- I could see the cups through the packaging. Doggy poo, eh? I cannot argue you there. Sure would like those dice... I can always play Pirate Yatzee (Sorry: Yahhrrrtzee) with them.

I also thought it could use some poker chips for betting.

You could always use the Aztec "gold" checkers for chips.

Now, how to convince the Missus that I need to purchase this at Target, instead of shopping for my daughter's birthday (4th of July baby)? And, no, may daughter does NOT want the game. I already tried that ploy.

Oh.. still on subject, I played "Dread Pirate" two nights ago with my two younger kids. Awesome game. Lots of fun. The problem is that it is set up for FOUR players, so we had to be creative for just the three of us.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been having so much fun playing this 3-in-1 game, I forgot to write about it.

If I know that the checkers were metal (read that: metal -- not plastic), I would have purchased it earlier.

I thought I understood the Liar's Dice rules without reading the instructions, and explained "my" rules to my kids while we were driving home in the car. By the time we got it open, we all knew how to play the game, and played it that way, and had a lot of fun.

The next day I read the rules. I don't like them. I think ours are better (although I cannot convince my family to add the "Wild Card" die face, which I think would enhance our rules). But we have been playing this game almost every night according to our own House Rules.

This turned out to be an excellent purchase. The Liar's Dice set is decent. I am still freaking out over the crapload of extra METAL "Aztec Gold" coins (half are tarnished nickel finish, but do you hear me complaining?) for the checkers set. And while it is so hard to play chess with non-standard pieces, the Black Pearl vs. Flying Dutchman set is rather enjoyable. And the chess/checkers board has a sea map laid over it, which adds to the piratical spirit of the fun.

HOWEVER... these games sell separately for around $20 each. I got all three for about $35. The $35 was a much, much better deal.

A satisfied customer am I.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg