What is the Difference between Re-enacting and...

Could you define one as more "outward directed" and the other as more "inward directed"?

Living history and Re-enacting is more like playing a part. More acting for others to observe and discuss with.

LARP is more inward. You do it for yourself. It's all about your imagination and where it leads you and those you play with.

What do you think?

Jib,

I agree with your assessment 100%. But that's my personal views on living history and reenactment. As you've seen in this thread, Blackjohn and Hawkyns are of a different opinion than I. However we have participated in the same reenactments together for years and our different views haven't stopped us from enjoying each other's company.

:rolleyes:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

There are a lot of factors involved... i guess.

For me, the bulk of my Re-enacting experience has been in eras that are "public" oriented.

Let me splain.

I cut my teeth re-enacting doing WW2. I went to my first event at 13/14 (no kidding... even had my junior high yearbook taken in WW2 uniform... what a geek).

For 95% of what we did in WW2 it was all private stuff. Anywhere from 50 to 1500 guys in uniform, usually on a military base but sometimes private land "re-creating" WW2 conflict.

There were very few dog and pony shows, and since the "public" doesn't care to see folks walking around in German WW2 uniforms, there wasn't a lot of interaction with the public.

From there I did, a little WW1, and some Spanish Civil War, and a little Wild West.

Again, 90-95% of the stuff I did, had no connection with the "public", except, maybe once a year at MTA in Jamestown.

So for me "re-enacting" has always been recreating the past, or using it as a "time machine" to go back into the past and live like someone did 50 or 500 years ago.

I guess that is why I have fallen in with the "Authentic" crowd, or side of the house. Because you can't get that time travel experience, unless you eliminate as many inconsistancies as you can.

This has been interesting though, to see all the different takes on the topic.... keep em' coming please.

GoF

aka

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

This is really interesting for me because I find private events to be very boring. Perhaps it's because I'm a woman who hates to cook... :lol:

Plus I'm a bit of an extrovert. Don't know if anyone's noticed... :D

I'm definitely not in reenactment for the "time travel" experiences. I find them very hard to achieve, even when everything is as perfect as it can be. I think if you chase those moments of transportation, you'll always be disappointed. I have a few friends who never seem satisfied because nothing is "period" enough for them: they always see the flaws. That's no fun.

You know, the only time I've had one of those "time travel" experiences was on the way to a Colonial Christmas Ball. Yes, we were riding in a Jeep Cherokee. But we were travelling on the old road to Philadelphia that dates to before the Rev War, and there are more 18th century houses along that road than not. In some areas, you have to slow down to 10mph to go around very sharp turns between old houses. It had just snowed, so the cars on the side of the road weren't that obvious. It didn't matter that we were in a modern conveyance; I just suddenly felt like we were on our way to the Ball in the 1770s... :D

Redhand,

We have stocks up at Ft. King George in Darien Georgia. I've spent hours in them unable to scratch the mosquitoes sucking all the blood out of me. Bloody miserable...literally....

But it was a learning experience and one I can discuss about with spectators with every bit of truth and honesty in me.....

Cheers,

Adam C., Slop-man

You know, the only time I've had one of those "time travel" experiences was on the way to a Colonial Christmas Ball. .. we were travelling on the old road to Philadelphia that dates to before the Rev War, and there are more 18th century houses along that road than not.  In some areas, you have to slow down to 10mph to go around very sharp turns between old houses.  It had just snowed, so the cars on the side of the road weren't that obvious.  It didn't matter that we were in a modern conveyance; I just suddenly felt like we were on our way to the Ball in the 1770s... 

I agree that the "Perfect time travel" experience is very hard to achieve especially if you go out looking for total perfection. Honestly, I don't think it could ever be perfect. But I have been to some spectacular events that sure came close and really made you wonder how folks must have felt in the past in similar experiences.

I once went to a private event at Colonial Williamsburg, invitation only for reenactors only, at the Governor's Palace. The only modern disturbances were planes that flew over but once the sun went down and the fires were lit they were hardly noticable. And once you stepped foot through the front gate and not ONE modern spectator was allowed inside, it was truly amazing, from the period correct musicians on the lawn, to the slack rope walkers in the other gardens, to being greeted by the governor and his lady, even the African American staff at Williamsburg recreated their roles as slaves for the entire night. And for me, the most amazing thing was walking down by the water and suddenly being surrounded by Indians who seemed to come out of the greenery as if by magic. I was supposed to meet their British officer and they had come to "fetch" me. Damn near scared the life out of me. I had no clue they were there and had no clue how long they had waited there. The entire evening just blew me away, even the reenactors were on their best behavior as far as staying in character for the entire time.

Yes I enjoy the public, I truly have fun with them, espeically the kids, but when things click with private reenactors who truly try their best at making the period come to life, it can really, really be amazing. I guess I just don't dwell on the parts that go wrong as much as make the most out of the parts that go well....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I agree that the "Perfect time travel" experience is very hard to achieve especially if you go out looking for total perfection.  Honestly, I don't think it could ever be perfect.  But I have been to some spectacular events that sure came close and really made you wonder how folks must have felt in the past in similar experiences. 

I once went to a private event at Colonial Williamsburg, invitation only for reenactors only, at the Governor's Palace.  The only modern disturbances were planes that flew over but once the sun went down and the fires were lit they were hardly noticable.  And once you stepped foot through the front gate and not ONE modern spectator was allowed inside, it was truly amazing, from the period correct musicians on the lawn, to the slack rope walkers in the other gardens, to being greeted by the governor and his lady, even the African American staff at Williamsburg recreated their roles as slaves for the entire night.  And for me, the most amazing thing was walking down by the water and suddenly being surrounded by Indians who seemed to come out of the greenery as if by magic.  I was supposed to meet their British officer and they had come to "fetch" me.  Damn near scared the life out of me.  I had no clue they were there and had no clue how long they had waited there.  The entire evening just blew me away, even the reenactors were on their best behavior as far as staying in character for the entire time.

I've had alot of those experiences. Maybe I'm not as picky? I dunno.

And hey! I've done that event? Was that in conjunction with Williamsburg's Publick Times event? It ranks up there with the coolest of events - from the beggars outside, and the little girls hawking apples, to the harpsicordists inside, to the torch-lit gardens... simply amazing!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I dunno, Blackjohn. I just never seem to have those kinds of experiences. I'd love to, though. Maybe I'm just trying too hard... Or too easily distracted... :ph34r:

Although I must admit that I attract whiners. If someone is complaining in my ear about what's wrong or what so-and-so said about their kit, it's no wonder I miss out. :ph34r:

I do solo hunting with my gear and flintlock regularly during the seasons. You can't imagine how it feels, you just have to do it yourself to understand. I'm as remote as it gets in the midwest, and there are too many experiences to relate here. Those are for the fire. :)

A canoe on a remote waterway in period gear comes next, but the aluminum boat makes it a bit harder. Working on that now too!

Cap'n Bo,

Sounds like you've done what I've been trying to do for years....

I have all the kit to go hunting 1750s style.... everything but the time to do it! Hunting season comes at one of the busy times of my job... $#!+

And I have a Peterborough wood & canvas canoe to do the Voyageur thing too...

I've had a handful of the 'time travel' happenings at events, usually when the public go home at night... That's when it gets great... everyone around is in kit, fire and candle light is the only illumination... Then someone asks what time it is and a maglite appears to look at their cell phone... *pop* end of time travel segment......

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Captain Bo, your experiences sound so cool.

Is it just me, Dorian, or at events do you stop caring what time it is? I find I never even miss my watch...

Aye Kass,

It isn't just you... Most occasions I feel the same, I could care less what time it really is... best part is if someone asks me what time it is... it kinda goes like this;

"Pardon, do you know what time it is?"

*I look up at the sky*

"Aye.... tis daytime..." (or nighttime)

I do still keep my cell on me, for emergency purposes, but with the sound off, etc...

The only time I do keep track of it is at Pennsic, when on Artillery duty for battles...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Hee hee! The last time I went to Pennsic, I missed every class I wanted to take because I never knew what time it was. :ph34r:

Personally I like that the word isn't sliced up into bits and there is no rush to be anywhere. It's morning, noon or evening. No need for any other distinctions, really. My stomach kinda tells me what time it is. :ph34r:

Agreed,

No need to rush around...

When living in a tent, you wake when it's light out, sleep when it's dark,(Unless yer on duty) and go about yer business during the day... Let someone else worry about the exact time... I too let my stomache tall the time for me... time to eat, time to nap(after eating), time to go shoot or stab/cut folks who interrupt my eating or napping time... :ph34r:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

For me, the "time travel" experiences happen pretty rarely. I would say, in my Career of re-enacting, maybe8-10 times. Which probably comes down to 1 per 20 events, which is a LOT of weekends....

But the "pursuit" of the experience is fun too. I enjoy researching and building different kits, and trying to make them the best I possible can.

Re-enacting is cool that way, everyone can (and does) get someting different out of it.

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

*Late-coming to the party.....*

or at least took a government ink pen or something!

I once stole a Government pen while ON a governement ship... Does that count? (I wont say which one, but it was really large with a flat weather deck)...

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

I've had alot of those experiences.  Maybe I'm not as picky?  I dunno.

And hey!  I've done that event?  Was that in conjunction with Williamsburg's Publick Times event?  It ranks up there with the coolest of events - from the beggars outside, and the little girls hawking apples, to the harpsicordists inside, to the torch-lit gardens... simply amazing!

Maybe not so much being picky, as realizing no one can actually recreate the past perfectly... there is so much we really don't know about. Let's face it, some events can be pretty lame, but as long as most folks are putting forth the effort just go with it and have fun. I went to my first Pirate Feast last Feb., thanks to Kass and one of the soldiers came up and was speaking to me in first person. He had the language down so well that he was really interesting to listen to and of course I started asking him questions. At which point he got this amazed look on his face and then bowed and remarked how kind it was of someone of my station to lower themselves to speak with him. Of course I realized I had blown it and wanted to bang my head against the nearby post, but he was soo good. He continued and then I went on to grunt an occasional "answer" and had a very good time. But he certainly didn't make it seem like my mistake was the END OF THE WORLD! :lol:

And yes it was Publick Times about, geeze when did I get married, must have been 1991. And yes, we had beggers at the front gate as the carriages rode up to unload the higher ranking officers. Did you have the horse races out by the far end of town? They were brilliant!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

But the "pursuit" of the experience is fun too.  I enjoy researching and building different kits, and trying to make them the best I possible can. 

Re-enacting is cool that way, everyone can (and does) get someting different  out of it.

Greg

Yes, my dad was the "means" behind our dragoon regiment. You just couldn't buy Rev. War horse equipment when we were active. He LOVED making swords, helmets, pistol buckets, what ever was needed even more than going to the events. Every free moment he was busy making something because he really loved doing so. Now I get a call every once in awhile "Need anything "timewise?" I was thinking of asking him to work up a pair of pistols since the Grice won't do, but I have a feeling he would want to keep them when he was done... :lol: When you ask him about reenacting the first thing he talks about is making kit or something amazing one of the horses in our group did.

Hector

Crewe of the Archangel