Beer Steins

I have this fantastic old pewter covered stein my grandfather bought over in Germany during the time between WWII and Korea. I researched the history of the stein and it's well documented from the1400-1850 and beyond, but what about using it with my camp kit? It's a salt glazed crockery with cobalt blue and a shakespearian tavern scene on it. I'll post a photo of it when I get out the camera next. How about some of you out there? Oppinions?

I've used it for years at alot of colonial events and several rowdy biker parties too. I keep it close and it's hard to get near it when I'm usin' it! :ph34r:

It has gotten several compliments and more than a few offers in the years I've had it out at events, it is a very good early period re-creation.

I will post a photo later to show the detail. I also built a special wooden box that It gets to travel in!

P5080057.jpg

stein2.jpg

stein1.jpg

Well, here it is. It's a late 1940's post war German made piece, stamped 0.5lt, which I'm certain means half litre. I likes it because it keeps me lager cold longer if I'm B.S.'ing instead of drinkin'!

Certainly I can, cap, maybe it's because I'm german:)

Ein heitrer Sinn means "a happy mind"

der beste Gewinn is "the best win, best bet.

This is a stone always a Japanese or American (sorry for that) would like... In Germany here you can get them a lot on every fleamarket.

Indeed, some old men and men with a historical tradition like shooters, volunteery firemen, hunters, retired soldiers and people like that use stones. At any special day. Higly decorated ones. Day by day they use what all the others use: a simple glass mug.

Sorry for that reply, I guess it'n rather not what you wanted to hear...

Jack

Thankee kindly ! I knew there was no real value to it, just that my grandfather was stationed in Germany before the war in Korea, and sure enough... he was one of those "tourist" American G.I.'s that had to have a souvenier of Germany to bring back.

I have a soft spot for cobalt blue anything, so besides the sentimental value, I like the looks. Thanx again for the translation!

Funny you should say so, I just noticed myself a subtle change. I just buried my old Gordon Setter, Angus 'Gus' McGoof. I always look angry, but right now it's a sadness. Maybe it's showin up in the photo? Anyhow, if it starts cryin', just take no notice. It'll be OK when the healin starts.

'Tis proof positive that there is hope left in the world when grown men cry at the passing of old dogs.

'Ere's to you an' yer dog mate.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Thank you Jim. I couldn't believe I had any tears left for stuff like that, but damned if they didn't come right out. It was a tough evening for my 14 year-old son and me. Clayton was very fond of the ol' buggar too, so we just dug and cried together til it was done. Hope that don't take away from the pyratey image, but he was the best kind of dog to have around.

• 1 month later...

It's okay to cry if you loose a loved pet. I once painted a tombstone for my cat. It always breaks my heart. That's why I get em tattooed on my back. They're gone and my life with them lies behind me, but they be not forgotten. If you're into tattoos you maybe honor your dog that way?