Takin' Up the Mouse's Shilling

blackjohn

This Tuesday, at Pier 6 in Baltimore, from 10-noon, my pirates and I will be in the employ of the Mouse, performing dastardly deeds of piracy in front of cheering throngs of school kids as part of a promo for PotCII. If you happen to be in the neighborhood, drop by and say Avast.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

No, not from me. I went sans camera. I was carrying carrying two pistols, wearing a third and a sword, and eventually switched to carrying my blunderbuss, didn't really have room for the camera. And honestly, I always feeling guilty when I whip out a camera at an event. I would've handed out my card to the various professional photographers, but my contract specifically forbid that.

Nutshell rundown... got there an hour early, walked around a bit, checked out the schooner Sultana (ye gods she is a beauty). Then we did alot of hurry up and wait. At 10 the kids were ushered in. We played crowd control. Very efftective crowd control, considering how I was armed. After a half hour or so of standing guard over a bunch of kids (I felt like some 18thC slaver or something, there I was standing high up on this berm with guns drawn looking down on this throng of kids), and seeinf how bored they were becoming standing out in the sun, I retrieved the powder from my seachest. I spent the next 25 minutes or so firing round after round from my blunderbuss. There was a photographer from the Baltimore Sun there, with this really nice Nikon. He got some great shots of me. The shutterspeed on that sucker was so fast he was able to capture the flash in the pan, then the smoke rising from the pan and smoke coming from the barrel, and then more smoke a bit further out, and maybe a smoke ring or two.

Then we went backstage for awhile. I didn't pay much attention to what exactly happened. I believe Chris and Tarfoot presented the mayor of Baltimore with the model of the Black Pearl racing yacht. The there were speeches. Then pirate actor dude went on about having a copy of the PotC2 trailer. At which point yours truly steps out on stage and said something along the lines of "And I am here to make that dvd mine." Then Zach and I fought, it became a wrestling match, while Scurvy Hanna and Palmetto did a steel routine. And that was about it. Great fun. If I find links to any pics I'll forward them here.

ps - wish you could've been there Greg, I think you would've had fun.

My Home on the Web

Sweet, as echoing from previous poster. Would love to see pics. Sounds like you and the kids had a blast...

Would love to do something like this some day I just need to get my kit in order first. (looks to chest holding his pieces of eight and sighs, still not enought there yet)

Yeah speaking of which that trailor is a hot topic of late from people pirating the trailor on their sites. I just cant wait till the movie and next year with the third.

~Tora of Tortuga~

:lol:

Would love to do something like this some day I just need to get my kit in order first. (looks to chest holding his pieces of eight and sighs, still not enought there yet)

If you want to do PIRATE RE-ENACTING, as opposed to pirate costuming, my advice is to spend you money wisely. Spend it on the right stuff from square one. Best not waste it on things that aren't accurate, then have to go back and re-make things.

OH! At the top of page 2 in the Maryland section of the Baltimore Sun there is a great photo of me in front of the school kids, firing my blunderbuss!!! I'll try to snag a digipic from them if I can!

My Home on the Web

WOW!

That is pretty freakin cool man!

Great exposure for the Pirate Brethren and a good gig ta boot!

I hope this leads to more opportunities for you guys (and inspiration for others in the group to get going on getting their kit together and participating)!

I don't know how long this will last, but here is the pic from the newspaper!

GoF23244451.jpg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

WOW!

That is pretty freakin cool man!

Great exposure for the Pirate Brethren and a good gig ta boot!

I hope this leads to more opportunities for you guys (and inspiration for others in the group to get going on getting their kit together and participating)!

This one had alot going for it. Perfect weather. Parrots. The Sultana was docked nearby at the beginning of the day. And... paid gigs rock!!!

And I'd be more than happy if everyone took their $200 and spent it on more kit! But I won't hold me breath on that.

My Home on the Web

When we spoke with Mayor Martin O'Malley, we asked him if there was any relation to Grace??????

Seriously he said that they did share a common uncle. I guess that means that Baltimore's Mayor is a pirate of sorts!!! :lol:

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"