Key West

Have ye got about a month of time to spend there? Key west alone is worth about a week. To start.

First thing: Park yer car. Rent a bicycle if you're resonably fit or a scooter if you're not. You will see more and be closer to the island and it's people if you park the big iron.

On the Pyratical vein, start with Mel Fisher's museum and Croce's Pirate Soul museum as well. Also, go by Fort Taylor to select your camping spot for PiP (http://www.piratesinparadise.com/) If ye are o' drinkin age, two not-to-miss spots are Captain Tony's (site of the original Sloppy Joe's) and of course the new Sloppy's. Lots of shops. Lots of restaurants, too. Tip well: it's a small island and the waiter you stiff in a restaurant may end up sitting next to you in a pub.

Go sailing on one of the tall ships/schooners. Only the Wolf has cannon (last I heard). Most of the ships will have cannon and pyrates during PiP.

Fishing and snorkeling. You could do this in the Keys for the rest of your life and see something new every day. Go with a guide service. Seems expensive, but it's not like you actually get to do this every day, and they know the best places. Tip well. (There is a theme developing.)

There is history around every corner here. Take a little time to learn and apreciate it. Also remember that you are surrounded by the Gulf and Atlantic. Most of the things to do involve the water or the history of the water.

Lastly, be absolutely sure you want to do this. The place is intoxicating and addictive, and you may not come back the same. If you ever come back at all.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Thanks for the replies so far. Tampa is me port o' call, so getting my feet wet in the gulf is nothing new. The museum's are definitely a must and of course a little grog here and there will do as we will be there about a week. On a side note, we are stopping by and staying one night at South Beach to take a little break. Is there any one place that is a "must see" there? Thanks again for the quick replies.

Do ye not know that you will be passing by a Pyrate gathering on yer way?

http://www.leepiratefest.com/

I will be there on both days with me powder monkey, an' maybe me wench. If it's not too late to change yer plans, that is.

Perhaps the Pub Crawl on Friday as well?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Watch the sunsets. Visit the old cemetary with the monument to the USS Maine. Go to the marker indicating how close ye be to Havanna. The old aquarium be quite interesting, too. Great restuarants and pubs abound in KW. Take the trolley tour. Work on yer tan. Go snorkeling.

(If ye be gay or gay-friendly, there be fun bars, guest houses, cruises and a multitude of experiences from that slant. Key West offers something for everyone.)

Most of all, have fun. Capt. Jim be correct when he says that ye'll ne'er be the same after going to Key West.

Long Live the Conch Republic! :lol:

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

• 4 weeks later...