Anyone know????

El Pirata

Anyone dealt with these people? I had a blow out on my boots today and was looking for to get a fast replacement before halloween. I mean they are selling a similar pair of boots that I had for $90.

http://www.scaboots.com/

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

All right mates a little background then advice.

I have been doing leather work for 20 years and good boots are one of the hardest things to find or make. I have been a re-enactor for American War of Northen Aggression, American Revolution, Texas Independence, English Revolution, WWI American, WWII English SAS & German Waffen SS, American Western. Most of these organization are authintication Nazi's. As in if your under garments or the soles of your shoes/boots are wrong you don't get to play. So needless to say may standards are a little higher for quality than some others.

That being said you need to look at how hard on your foot wear you are. From what is stated on the site and looking at the photos I can tell you that this is more a fashion or low end biker leather. If you only wear them occassionally and aren't hard on them. Then they should work. If you are like me and wear them on a regular basis for re-enacting and live stunt shows. They wouldn't hold up. These are considered "Cuff" boots. I have two pair I use for Pirate work. One is not historically accurate but are very durable and are more a moccosin style. You can see them in my profile picture. The have a rubber sole for traction during shows and are made of Water Buffalo with stag crowns for buttons. The others are Bucket Boots made from a pair of East German Officers boots. I have large calfs and had to split the back seam and add a spacer. Then I made my Tops. The pattern is actually very easy. Take an old paper flat bottom Dixie cup. Pop the bottom out. Split the seam. VIOLA there's your pattern. Now to figure your size, measure the distance around the top of your boot. Add one inch to the measurment. Take this measurement on both boots. They may vary. Measure the distance around your thigh. Add 5 inches. Measure the distance from the top of the boot to where you want the top of the boot to come up your thigh. Add a 1/2 inch.

Get your leather. I recommend at least a 7-8 weight. Pre dyed if you can get it. If not. Dye the leather after you get it cut out. Now lay out a piece of plywood to use as a cutting table. Put a screw at the base of the bord and tie a long string on it. You've just made a big protractor. Lay your leather out in front. Measure from the screw up the string the final calculation you made for the top of the original boot top. For shits and giggles let's call it (20.5 inches) Put your pen or pencil at that point and use the string to guide you line in a semi circle. Now, cut that measurement in half. (10.25) Measure from the center point of that line around the semi circle that distance (10.5)and make a make. Same on the other side. Now measure from the center point again. Measure up the string the top distance (Lets say (12 inches). And make your new center mark for the new top top. Take the distance you need for the top of the buckets and do just what you did for the lower semi circle. Draw a line from the end points of the top semi circle to the bottom semi circle end mark. Cut 'em out and sew them to the tops of the boots and then up the back seam. You have a 1/2 inch seam allowance. When your done. Soak the areas of the boots youwant to make the folds at and fold up and let them dry. Once dry, the more you unfold and fold them the easier it will be when the leather breaks in.

boottops.jpg

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg