Camping in the Fort?

Jack Roberts

So I’ve read through some of the posts here and my wife and I are definitely coming. We just want to figure out where to stay. I've heard some people talking about camping onsite at the fort I was wondering how? Do you have to sign up? Are there any requirements? (aka Period tents and such) Just wondering. Thanks for any help.

When we camped in the fort last year they required that we have period tents and a period encampment. A simple wedge tent or lean to will do. Patrick brought an entirely period kit. His luggage, clothing and tent were all accurate. We did not arrive with period luggage, so it was camoflauged under blankets and bags. It was a very simple setup, since all of us flew in from the Rockies and West Coast, but it was a nice little camp.

I'm waiting for word from the Friends of Fort Zachary Taylor about the numbers who may camp inside the fort this year. I'll note you and your wife when I speak with them next.

Do you have a tent? Are you able to bring other period items for an encampment?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Not yet, I'm still seeing if we want to do that. I need to start researching the tents and the like. We live in orlando and we have a good 7 months or so to gather up the proper equipment. So we won't have to fly at all.

The other issue is we have 2 other couples that want to come but i'm not sure they will want to camp out. I'll have to sound them out and see if they want to do that. (I have a feeling they might not want to. Considering the period stuff.) Although my wife and I would love to. :)

Also do you have to set up for the whole event or can you come in a day later or such? Thanks for the info and the word. I'll get back to you if we decide to do it. Thanks :D

Well, if you are looking for a very sturdy, reasonable tent I would recommend the following vendor. http://www.redhawk-trading.com/products.htm The wedge tent and Queen's Bluff are very nice. They are very durable tents. Here is the once I bought and camped in at the fort.

a350f917.jpg

d5db2d7b.jpg

Our encampment...

d8d73c9f.jpg

Patrick's Kit...

3f94fa4a.jpg

6eb1f413.jpg

Mr. Redwake sir...

It's a far horizon for me yet, but if you could post a cut-off registration date for camping at the fort I would be much obliged.

Alot of changes are taking place in my life and career at the moment and I will not know until later inthe year what my situation will be in December.

I would very much like to attend, and as I won't fly for any reason, and have a couple of trailers, it could be possible for me to bring things like poles and stakes, even another fly or two for the west coast travellers that fly in.

You all have spoken so highly of this event, it has my curiosity peaked. As there is some intrest from others near me, it may be possible to form a caravan of gypsie pyrates from the midwest to provide support for each other during the journey.

Lady B., and Merry D. contact me when you can and we may all be able to work something out.

Capt. Bo

I am not actually in charge of the camping at the fort, but I did act as a liason for some of us that camped last year and were not vendors. however, I am putting together a list again for this year and I am waiting to hear back from the fort on numbers.

Last year they said I could bring along 13 pirates for our encampment, but I know they want more than that this year. We had many people who wished to go and couldn't at the last minute. We were left with only four out of a possible 13. So far this year I have seven names, so there is room for quite a few more. If we excede the numbers, I may be able to urge them to allow us more space. I will include you in the tenative number.

There is no cut off date. The fort is more concerned about getting responsible people with a good period look. You have a very good kit from the pictures I have seen and I would gladly take you up on the offer of poles and additional supplies. It will save me a considerble headache while flying. The tents are easy to pack as a carry on, but poles become a problem.

As the time approaches, I will let the fort know how big our encampment is going to be on average, then I will submit names just a little before the festival since we won't all arrive together.

I'll post more about it when I hear back from the Parks Division.

-W.R.W.

William, would you please put Myself, Scarlet, and Gwen on the list for the fort camping group. We are planning to drive down and will bring period camp and at least one cannon. As you talk to the fort, the only things we need are firewood, water supply, bathroom facility, and straw for bedding. If they need camp photos for jurying, I can get some of the new camp at Smith's Castle in RI, first weekend May. Got a new tent and a few new items, so it's all changed a bit, mostly to accomodate 3 instead of 2.

Thank you, Sir

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

William, would you please put Myself, Scarlet, and Gwen on the list for the fort camping group.    We are planning to drive down and will bring period camp and at least one cannon.  As you talk to the fort, the only things we need are firewood, water supply, bathroom facility, and straw for bedding.  If they need camp photos for jurying, I can get some of the new camp at Smith's Castle in RI, first weekend May.  Got a new tent and a few new items, so it's all changed a bit, mostly to accomodate 3 instead of 2.

Thank you, Sir

Hawkyns

I have added you to the list.

The fort allowed us to dig up a section of the sod, which we kept in a box until after and then we replanted it. There is a great deal of firewood provided at the fort.

Water is available from the kitchen and a spigot near the restrooms.

The bathroom is within walking distance. Approximately 100 yards or less.

I did not see any straw while I was there. There were no bales or loose straw. I can't imagine how easy it is to get straw in Key West, so you may have to provide for yourself in that regard.

Do you know the rough dimensions of your tent?

-W.R.W.

I'm going to have to do some smoozing

Aaargh... but you were so good at it last year......

No tent poles.... no problem.... :lol: (William Borrowed some tent poles for his tents and mine last year..... Flying in is the easy part.... just flying in with tent poles is kind of a pain....)

I'm planning on attending again this year.... just going to be a Pyrate, and not Robin Hood....... :blink:

I want to re-do my lean-to so it looks like it is a chunk of sail... it will just weigh a bit more.... So I will be doing Golden Age Pyrate instead of Buccaneer.......

Patrick's kit is top notch for sure!

William, you certainly got saddled with a chunk of responsibility! I'm sorry if I got something started here that you weren't looking for! Hey, maybe you guy's that live close could take some of the load off and step in to help out on setting things up with the Fort management?

Better yet, if we could just get an adress to send photos to, we could all be responsible for getting ourselves "juried" in on our own. Whattaya think William?

Capt. Bo

Patrick's kit is top notch for sure!

William, you certainly got saddled with a chunk of responsibility! I'm sorry if I got something started here that you weren't looking for! Hey, maybe you guy's that live close could take some of the load off and step in to help out on setting things up with the Fort management?

Better yet, if we could just get an adress to send photos to, we could all be responsible for getting ourselves "juried" in on our own. Whattaya think William?

Capt. Bo

I don't mind. I've handled much bigger events than this. This way we can coordinate the whole encampment, since they want us grouped together in the same area. It also allows us to know what to ask for. One big checklist for all.

However, as the time draws closer we will have to divide it into east coast and west coast coalitions.

They left "jurying" up to me last year and it was "flexible". Patrick passes with flying colors and Hawkyns does historic trekking. My kit is coming along fine and I have two tents, so I already have a spare if Mike doesn't go this year. I can lend it out to at least one couple if that's the case.

The easiest way to make a camp period is to make it simple. Patrick's kit is compact, period and functional. The rest is just window dressing. We leave out the plastic skulls and the wicker sea trunks and we're fine.

The atmosphere of the place makes up the difference if our clothes look right.

East/ West... what about us marooned in the middle? :lol:

Nah, I know what ya mean, just bein me! :rolleyes:

I'll keep you informed of my situation as I know what it is. Thanx!

Capt. Bo

For the purpose of keeping track of available space and materials, may I ask what you have in the way of tents?

My wedge tents have a footprint of 6' x 9' each.

William, my wedge is 7'x9', and I have a fly that could be "loaned" out that is 12' x15' total.(the one in the camp photo) I also have a 12x12 dinig fly that can be set up any number of ways if extra shelter is needed. I won't bring our "circus tent" which is late 18th cent. 12x12 with a 9x15 awning, unless it is requested.

Capt. Bo

Since there'll be three of us in the tent, I'm planning on using my 8x12 wall tent. Probably bring the 10x10 fly, also

100 percent period in what the public will see, even inside the tents. All modern gear stowed either in chests or left in the truck. All period cooking kit, cast iron and steel. Basically the same rig that I've had juried in at Fort Frederick and Fort Meigs, but with the one size larger tent.

Hawkyns

:rolleyes:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg